PDA

View Full Version : Bank holiday - working tax credits

mrs c
11-01-2012, 09:45 AM
I have just had a parent say working tax credits say she shouldn't have to pay me for the bank holiday last Monday. I have always had it in my contracts that I am paid for this, always explain it to parents when we go through the contracts and there has never been a problem with it. However, a couple of years ago I changed to Morton Michel and when I have just looked at this part in the contract I see that there is not a box to tick for being paid while not working. I nor my other parents have picked up on this when we changed over from our old contracts. I will give a refund for this and will have to re-do my contracts and add it in to make sure this is now covered but wondered if anyone else has had this happen?

sharonmanc
11-01-2012, 09:55 AM
being on tax credits for childcare for the past 8 years , i have never had tax credits tell me what the credit is for, all i do is tell them how much my childcare is and they work it our and pay me, Is the parent pulling a fast one as surley tax credits know that people work bank holidays.

mrs c
11-01-2012, 10:00 AM
hm it wouldn't surprise me. The most difficult parent I have ever had to work for. She said they wanted to see the original contract and proof of payment. I did think it a little odd that they would be checking through a contract with regard to the bank holiday so am now thinking it may be just her. I will wait and see what she comes back with tonight at pick-up

snufflepuff
11-01-2012, 10:05 AM
I very much doubt that is true! Tax credits do not have the authority to decide what a childminder can and cannot charge. The parent signed a contract stating that she will pay for bank holidays, so she needs to pay for them. Tax credits have nothing to do with it.

HELEN10
11-01-2012, 12:40 PM
I very much doubt that is true! Tax credits do not have the authority to decide what a childminder can and cannot charge. The parent signed a contract stating that she will pay for bank holidays, so she needs to pay for them. Tax credits have nothing to do with it.

Agree with above, all they are interested in is how much your childcare charges are thoughout the year!

mrs c
11-01-2012, 01:03 PM
So in that case it is my parent being her usual obnoxious self! Just out of interest, do you know if tax credits would have asked to see the top part of the contract or would they have accepted her duplicated carbonated or a photocopied one? I find it strange to have been asked for this.

loocyloo
11-01-2012, 01:08 PM
i've never been asked to provide a copy of the contract for tax credits! i once wrote a letter to explain how mumc charges were different over the preceeding 6 mths, and once tax credits have rung to confirm amount, but thats it.

kellib
11-01-2012, 01:10 PM
I'd call her bluff, tell her that tax credits have been in touch with you to check all parents details etc and that you'll send her contract to them yourself ;)

mrs c
11-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Ok. I will call her bluff. I will tell her that I will ring tax credits myself to sort it out for her. Am sure this will work. Thank you all for your help. :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
11-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Ok. I will call her bluff. I will tell her that I will ring tax credits myself to sort it out for her. Am sure this will work. Thank you all for your help. :thumbsup:

I doubt Tax Credits will talk to you about her. I wouldn't lie to her about what you have sent them or not either. I would stay well clear and point out to her that she signed the contract, not tax credits and in your experience that tax credits would not comment on how you conduct your business as it is none of their business.

She should have receipts from you as proof of payments and that of course would include the payment she has made to you for the BH. When I have had parents on Tax Credits and other benefits this is all they have needed to produce as evidence of payment.

mrs c
11-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Hm yes you are right. She has proof of payment so couldnt understand why she wanted the original contract. Its been a while since I have had a parent on tax credits and the last time Im sure I only had to give her a letter stating her fees. Even it tax credits had the contract I'm sure they would not have gone in-depth into the payment part - just the hours and the hourly rate. I think this is the parent being weird.

helentwinmum
23-01-2012, 11:42 AM
my old cm used to work out the full yearly cost, take off bank holidays and holidays and then divide it into a weekly cost. was the best system i ever had. when you get tax credits you tell them your average weekly cost and they work that out for the full year - to my knowledge it's never been deducted for a bank holiday. i've never been asked for any sort of contract by them - they write to the provider every now and then to confirm figures but that is it. to my knowledge i have never paid any of my childminders for bank holidays

aly
23-01-2012, 01:47 PM
NEVER give her the original contract, she can have a copy, if she takes that contract from you then you have nothing for your proof etc.....