PDA

View Full Version : Upstairs Playroom

picklepick
10-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Hi Everyone

I'm in the process of setting up and I've been having some thoughts about how I'm going to arrange my setting.

I have a fairly large spare room upstairs and I think it would be the best room to have as a playroom. Are there any rules which would mean that I couldn't do that? I'd have a stairgate so it would be seperate from my main bedroom and the staircase.

I also have an open-plan lounge/kitchen and whilst I was preparing food etc, the children would be with me in this room with some toys etc but I think my main room for activities, reading, crafts etc would be upstairs.

Can anyone envisage any problems with this plan??

Thanks all

rickysmiths
10-01-2012, 04:50 PM
I must say I think my preference would be to use the downstairs space, easy to get snacks drinks and meals. Easy access to the outside as well.

snufflepuff
10-01-2012, 04:54 PM
I used to have an upstairs playroom- a large bedroom. It was lovely but we hardly ever used it! I found it a pain getting everyone up and down the stairs several times a day, and I worried about getting out in an emergency. So I ended up bringing toys downstairs to the living room then taking them back up each day. It was a glorified toy storage cupboard! Looked lovely though!

I moved my son in to there, and now use the small bedroom to store toys/ paperwork etc, plus the travel cot is in there for naps. So I now only have to take one child up there once a day- much easier. Just a shame my poor living room gets battered!

sarah707
10-01-2012, 06:03 PM
It will be hard getting children up and down stairs... allowing free access to the garden through the day... organising food and drink... lots of things will be more difficult I would imagine.

I am sure it is allowed it just won't be as easy as perhaps you hope.

Hth :D

uf353432
10-01-2012, 06:08 PM
When I started I did the same - converted the large upstairs spare bedroom into a play room. It NEVER got used. The children didn't like it and we ended up doing exactly what the previous poster did everything was moved downstairs and they have free flow access to the whole downstairs and garden. The only time any mindee goes upstairs now is for nap time. You might want to suck it and see if it works - because in my experience children like to wander around rooms rather than stick to just one room for any period - especially boys.

My downstairs is clearly used for different things - the lounge is a quiet room for floor play, TV, computer games, reading etc. My dining room is a louder room for table games, arts and crafts, cooking and playing and my garden and outside space is for well anything goes out there. The children play without being told how to because the spaces lend themselves beautifully to their purpose.

In a single playroom you will need to consider if you can have a quiet cosy corner for reading and quiet time, consider where you will do nappy changes and if you have enough space to let the children sprawl etc.

The only way you will know if it works is to try it - you'll change things a billion and one times before you love it lol!

picklepick
10-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks for your replies

I had a feeling that it wouldn't be as easy as I had it planned in my head. I just know that it would look fabulous as a playroom, but perhaps not very practical.

I have a very formal dining room at the minute and with the table in it, there's no space for anything else. A smaller/extendable dining table will need to replace it I guess. More expense :(

Thanks for all your input.

nikki thomson
10-01-2012, 08:25 PM
My friend was going to use a upstairs room as a playroom but was told by ofsted when they came to visit that she wasn't allowed because of getting out the house in a fire, but I'm sure it goes on individual cases, house layout etc. x

picklepick
10-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Ah right ok. I think I may have the same problem as that then as my stairs come off my lounge not a hallway.

picklepick
10-01-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm feeling a bit down about it all now. I don't know where I'm going to put everything.

I keep seeing other people settings, with proper big playrooms etc and they look so fabulous, I can't help but wonder why someone who choose my house over someone elses. How do people with very small houses work it?

nikki thomson
10-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Ah right ok. I think I may have the same problem as that then as my stairs come off my lounge not a hallway.

Not necessarily as these days alot of three story town houses have the kitchen on the ground floor and there lounge on the first floor and there must be cm who live in these houses, I really do think it goes on your own individual layout, you don't know till u ask. X

picklepick
10-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks nikki. There is a fire door at the bottom of the stairs and the window in there is an escape window too, so maybe it would be ok.

I think I could maybe use that room as a nice storage space that we can go and choose toys from every day to bring downstairs. That would work best I think.

Pinkrose
10-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Ofsted advised me not to use my upstairs, instead I bought a smaller table and made my dining room into a play room, I bought a fab dining table from ikea which was really compact. I am glad I have done this as it keeps the upstairs if my home private and I would have had to have put locks on the rooms I dont use which I don't think looks very nice

Pauline
11-01-2012, 07:37 AM
Before we moved earlier this year we had an upstairs playroom.

Ofsted were fine about it but as has been said it can depend on personal circumstances with your property.

Why not have that room registered and talk with the inspector about using it, there is nothing to lose if you later go back to using all downstairs.

The main thing is to risk assess till they are coming out your ears! consider like others have said:

Escape routes if there was an emergency.
Keeping children safe while upstairs such as stair gates, nothing on the landing that could be used to climb on and fall over bannisters.
supervising while you are in other rooms - you have covered this as we did, by taking them down with you.

Another problem is if some children want to be inside while others outside, this was easy for us as we work together but if you are on your own you would have to take toys downstairs for those inside so you could supervise those outside.

It is not ideal having an upstairs playroom but it is better than nothing in my opinion and having somewhere where you can shut the door at the end of the day, leaving some untidiness if you are shattered, is wonderful! :thumbsup:

Pauline
11-01-2012, 07:40 AM
I'm feeling a bit down about it all now. I don't know where I'm going to put everything.

I keep seeing other people settings, with proper big playrooms etc and they look so fabulous, I can't help but wonder why someone who choose my house over someone elses. How do people with very small houses work it?

Also, don't feel down. These things can take time. When I first started I had 3 boxes of toys in my lounge, now I have a dedicated playroom. It comes eventually :thumbsup:

sam411
13-01-2012, 06:27 PM
I have been getting exited about setting up my childminding (still in pre-briefing/filling in forms stage), but now I feel a bit down after reading this thread. I too had planned to have an upstairs room as a playroom, we have good access if a fire etc but now i feel like it doesn't seem a good idea with people. My downstairs won't accomodate a separate area for play, I have a smallish kitchen/dining and the living room isn't huge, I had planned to store some toys in my downstairs cupboard so when I have to do meals etc the children can be downstairs for that time. I planned to separate areas upstairs for art/craft, role play,small world, reading corner etc etc, then bring things down if some want to go outside. As I would be on my own though I feel I would have to either have to have them all inside or all outside (under 5's) at the same time anyway as how can you supervise inside and out even if it was on the same level. I guess I will see if it works and go from them (as long as I get registered now!).

Pauline
14-01-2012, 08:01 AM
I have been getting exited about setting up my childminding (still in pre-briefing/filling in forms stage), but now I feel a bit down after reading this thread. I too had planned to have an upstairs room as a playroom, we have good access if a fire etc but now i feel like it doesn't seem a good idea with people. My downstairs won't accomodate a separate area for play, I have a smallish kitchen/dining and the living room isn't huge, I had planned to store some toys in my downstairs cupboard so when I have to do meals etc the children can be downstairs for that time. I planned to separate areas upstairs for art/craft, role play,small world, reading corner etc etc, then bring things down if some want to go outside. As I would be on my own though I feel I would have to either have to have them all inside or all outside (under 5's) at the same time anyway as how can you supervise inside and out even if it was on the same level. I guess I will see if it works and go from them (as long as I get registered now!).

Don't let this thread put you off Sam, it is not the intention, I loved our upstairs playroom and it worked well, just needs some careful planning which it sounds like you have done, it is not ideal but better than nothing and well worth the effort. :thumbsup:

angeldelight
14-01-2012, 09:11 AM
Don't let this thread put you off Sam, it is not the intention, I loved our upstairs playroom and it worked well, just needs some careful planning which it sounds like you have done, it is not ideal but better than nothing and well worth the effort. :thumbsup:

I agree with Pauline do not let it put you off

I think most people would not care where their playroom was if they could have one

There was a time when I did not have one ... however did I manage though? I would have loved one upstairs, downstairs, anywhere :laughing:I just wanted a playroom ha ha

Mind you now I have one its getting fuller every day .... now I need two rooms I think :laughing::laughing:

Angel xx