PDA

View Full Version : School - only 24 hours exclusion for tummy bugs?!

Cazz
09-01-2012, 10:55 PM
My daughter started at the Nursery linked to our local infant school in September. On Saturday evening/night she had an upset tummy so I phoned the school office this morning and left an answerphone message reporting her absence - saying that she had a tummy bug on Saturday so I'm keeping her off but hopefully she'll be back tomorrow.

I got a phone call from the school secretary advising me for future reference that it's 24 hours from the last episode of vomiting or diarrohea. I said I thought it was 48 hours which is the guidelines I follow as a childminder.

Does anyone else think 24 hours seems soon to be going back after a tummy bug or is this the general rule in schools now?

I could understand it more in a high school but in a nursery or infant school the children aren't really that good at personal hygiene and surely the bugs are just going to circulate all the more?

I've been childminding for over 2 years and my daughter went to another pre-school for a year before this nursery and never had a single day off (their policy for d&v was 72 hours) - so she's been exposed to lots of germs. Since she's been at this nursery she's had three episodes of illnesses in 3 months (as well as a couple of colds which she has still gone in with) - I'm beginning to understand why now!

Beetlejuice
09-01-2012, 10:58 PM
I recently challenged my DD's school on their policy. They had 24 hour rule but I informed them that HPA guidelines for ALL childcare, including schools was 48 hours. They have now changed their policy in line with the Health Protection Agency :thumbsup:

Cazz
09-01-2012, 11:01 PM
I recently challenged my DD's school on their policy. They had 24 hour rule but I informed them that HPA guidelines for ALL childcare, including schools was 48 hours. They have now changed their policy in line with the Health Protection Agency :thumbsup:

I'm considering going in to see the Head Teacher as I think it's wrong.

The cynical side of me wonders if it's to do with attendance figures :rolleyes:

Zoomie
09-01-2012, 11:04 PM
A reason I've heard for using 24 hours is that schools are trying to keep their attendance levels up.

I follow 48 hours and norovirus was recently reported at our local hospital, so I definitely won't be reducing it.

Mouse
09-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Ours used to be 48hrs, but they've recently changed it to 24 for sickness, though still 48 for diarrhea.
I only found out when I kept DD off for 48hrs after she was sick and they told me I shouldn't have :rolleyes:

Beetlejuice
09-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Quite possibly!

I got cross because a child in DD's class was sick at school but they didn't send her home because her parents work!!:eek: The child was back in the very next day and vomited on another child :angry: I said that the implications on my business of having my child off with a vomiting bug were further reaching than just my loss of income. It's the loss of income and inconvenience to parents who have to take time to look after their children because I can't work or because their child catches the bug off my child etc so the inconvenience to other businesses/employers. Sickness bugs sweep through settings so quickly and that's why the rules are in place. I had a parent a couple of years ago who said her son had 'travel sickness' on Sunday on a long journey back from a visit to family. I stupidly had the child anyway - by the middle of the week her whole family were throwing up and then my whole family were throwing up :angry: It was also half term so I had extra children so extra money lost because I couldn't work.

Cazz
09-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Oh I forgot - when I did mention the 48 hour rule she said it's that if they have vomiting AND diarrohea.

If it's one or the other then it's 24 hours :huh:

Cazz
09-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Quite possibly!

I got cross because a child in DD's class was sick at school but they didn't send her home because her parents work!!:eek: The child was back in the very next day and vomited on another child :angry: I said that the implications on my business of having my child off with a vomiting bug were further reaching than just my loss of income. It's the loss of income and inconvenience to parents who have to take time to look after their children because I can't work or because their child catches the bug off my child etc so the inconvenience to other businesses/employers. Sickness bugs sweep through settings so quickly and that's why the rules are in place. I had a parent a couple of years ago who said her son had 'travel sickness' on Sunday on a long journey back from a visit to family. I stupidly had the child anyway - by the middle of the week her whole family were throwing up and then my whole family were throwing up :angry: It was also half term so I had extra children so extra money lost because I couldn't work.

I agree with you!

Before my daughter started at her previous pre-school she went to another for a total of one day as I wasn't happy with the place.

One of the main reasons was I stayed with my daughter for a little while and before I left a little girl was sick all over the floor and got really upset. One of the staff huffed and moaned about having to clear it up and no-one really comforted the poor little girl. Anyway, I left my daughter who was fine and when I returned to collect her at the end of the session I couldn't believe the little girl was still there - when the mum came in they said "Oh ***** was sick earlier but she seems okay now". They hadn't even phoned the parent! I went home and looked through the minimal policies they had given me and there wasn't even a sickness one there!

I decided not to send my daughter back and wrote a long letter to the manager explaining why (there were a couple of other concerns as well and I went with my gut feeling). I explained that as a childminder I didn't want my daughter bringing home sickness bugs all the time as they were obviously so relaxed about their sickness policy. The manager is actually an ex-childminder who had previously been registered for about 10 years! I did get a phone call from a staff member (not the manager - who ignores me now!) and she said there is a sickness policy along with some others that can be looked at if requested! I explained that parents don't know the rules and will send ill children if the policy isn't shared with them!

I am really strict with sickness bugs in my setting but I do find that if you explain why this is the case to parents then they're fine with it.

Cazz
09-01-2012, 11:24 PM
A reason I've heard for using 24 hours is that schools are trying to keep their attendance levels up.

I follow 48 hours and norovirus was recently reported at our local hospital, so I definitely won't be reducing it.

I think attendance levels must be the reason - why else would the school secretary take the trouble to phone me?!

FussyElmo
10-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Ours used to be 48hrs, but they've recently changed it to 24 for sickness, though still 48 for diarrhea.
I only found out when I kept DD off for 48hrs after she was sick and they told me I shouldn't have :rolleyes:

I think ours is the same but of course its for the attendence schools are judged by it.

Also i think so many parents will ignore it anyhow.

Our nursery class will turn them away at the door if they say they have been sick and send home quite quickly well if they can get the parents to answer the phone.

mama2three
10-01-2012, 07:57 AM
i wouldnt mind the 24 hour policy if they would stick to it!
A cm in the village was without her mindee one morning and told me he was off as had been sick in the night. DS and mindee were both pt afternoons in the foundation unit - sure enough Mum was dropping him off when I dropped of ds. not one to keep my mouth shut I said within hearing of the teacher - oh poor C have you stopped being sick now? or words to that effect. Mum hurriedly told the teacher he had been sick in the night but was fine now - teacher said 'oh dont worry we're going up to the forest , if hes sick we'll cover it with leaves!

little chickee
10-01-2012, 12:43 PM
My Primary school has a 24 hour exclusion but they do not enforce it or even attenmpt to enforce it. :angry:

They just don't seem to care.

I am and will always be 48 hours and i DO enforce it. For mindees, my kids and myself.

Ripeberry
10-01-2012, 12:49 PM

Well that's just plain daft of them as instead of just one or two children off two days or more, they will have lots of kids off for one day. :rolleyes:

nikki thomson
10-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Hi, I have a 24hr exclusion for sickness bugs, lo was sick here yesterday at 4 in the afternoon, she's not here today but as long as she hasn't been sick today she'll be back tomorrow, I personally think 48hrs is to long, kids get bugs all the time it's just one of those things, I've never kept mine of school for 48hrs, my son was sick once on Thursday night at tea time I kept him of Friday, but there's no way I'd of kept him home another day, he woke up Friday absolutely fine had breakfast and played quite happily all day, I obviously had to take the day of work much to lo's mums annoyance. Xx