PDA

View Full Version : D an V to feed or not

mushpea
07-01-2012, 08:17 PM
when I was little and I got a stomache bug then mum didnt let me eat anything untill it had cleared up, so after the last bout of sickness, then all i could eat was dried toast,, she told me it was because food just feeds the bug, i have always done this with my children too but a I have recently read in a postthat it was mean not to let them eat if they felt like it and its rubbish that it feeds the bug so this person feeds their children when they have d an v

whats your oppionion on this one?

sarahjane
07-01-2012, 08:21 PM
My own children are all teenagers now, so decide for themselves what or if they want to eat if not well. When they were smaller I used to stick to dry food (ie toast and marmite no butter) to start with, just small amounts. If that stayed down then things like scrambled eggs, chicken and rice, things that are light and easily digestable.
I have never starved them, just find that their own body knows if it needs some form of food or not.

kellib
07-01-2012, 08:23 PM
If my son is sick I go by how he is feeling, if he feels hungry and thinks he can manage something to eat then I give him something small, usually dry toast to start with. I avoid dairy products as I was told that's bad for an upset stomach.

Trouble
07-01-2012, 08:24 PM
my dd had really bad V D and ended up in the hospital on a drip when it had finished they told me to go down to the shop and buy a can of coke and salted crisps as the sugar from the coke and the salt from the crisps will put back what a child has lost it worked a treat :D

im not saying you do this but this is what the hospital told me

rosebud
07-01-2012, 08:24 PM
My own children are all teenagers now, so decide for themselves what or if they want to eat if not well. When they were smaller I used to stick to dry food (ie toast and marmite no butter) to start with, just small amounts. If that stayed down then things like scrambled eggs, chicken and rice, things that are light and easily digestable.
I have never starved them, just find that their own body knows if it needs some form of food or not.

I agree that they usually know themselves whether they are ready for food or not. If they are still being sick (usually first 24 hours) then even the smallest child won't want to eat anyway and when they start to get hungry it usually means they're on the road to recovery so feed them then. I wouldn't withold food if they asked for it but neither would I make them eat if they didn't want to.

sarah707
07-01-2012, 08:31 PM
When mine were little I was told not to give them food for 24 hours or so to let the bug go through and then to give dry toast or something gentle... milk etc last to be introduced.

I imagine things have changed nowadays though these things tend to come in waves what was right 15 years ago is suddenly wrong :rolleyes:

I wonder how we all survived sometimes :laughing::D

ajs
07-01-2012, 08:32 PM
my dd had really bad V D and ended up in the hospital on a drip when it had finished they told me to go down to the shop and buy a can of coke and salted crisps as the sugar from the coke and the salt from the crisps will put back what a child has lost it worked a treat :D

im not saying you do this but this is what the hospital told me

Flat coca cola has all the necessary things to rehydrate after d and v. And it's quite settling too.

mushpea
07-01-2012, 08:38 PM
interesting thanks folks,, i asked because my son often gets a stomache ache which somtimes leads to DV but most times is because he needs somthing to eat,, he is always on the go and no matter how many times I tell him to have a snack he wont cause hes too busy doing somthing else hence the fact he then starts to slow down and feel ill ! he doesent seem to be able to recognise when he's hungry. tonight I gave him toast and milk as he felt this way but my OH told me off saying he should have had nothing yet he had not been sick so I dont know which is the problem as yet,, knowing my luck we will be up half the night but then again he is probably just needing food
arrrrgggghhh kids!

Zoomie
07-01-2012, 09:02 PM
I think when you have been sick, you generally don't want to eat rich foods, so bland foods or toast seem to be the way people go.

also during v&d, the body looses / not able to maintain adequate hydration which is why we can become dehydrated. this effects the sodium levels which is why, in africa the recommended course of action after v&d is to give a diaralite type medication, which is essentially a mixture of 1/2 teaspoon salt, 6 table spoons of sugar to 750ml water. this helps the body to get back the balance of salts / sugars it will have lost.

coke has the sugar ^ water, crisps / marmite have the salt .....

Ellen
07-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Hi with my kids i let them have what they want to eat and when they want

to eat it. When i was a kid my mum said you can't eat until D&V had

stopped. Now when i have D&V which is not very often i eat what ever I

want usually bacon sandwich or crisp, i get over it in hours. I think its a

personal thing as a friend doedn't let her kids eat when poorly but they seam to

take a lot longer to get over D&V.

Thanks Ellen x

nikki thomson
07-01-2012, 10:58 PM
I have to say mine don't tend to want to eat when they have a sickness bug, my daughter had gastroenteritis last year, she was so poorly and didn't eat anything at all for three weeks, just lots of water, I've never known anything like it she was sick every ten mins for over 24 hrs and then went into a coma like state for two days, then had a temp and then the diaorhea started.
I was so worried about her but she recovered eventually, the dr surgery were great and kept a very close eye on her. X

Roseolivia
08-01-2012, 06:35 AM
I only ever drink coke when i have a stomach bug. I can remember my mum used to give me tea and i was sick more.

fionamal
08-01-2012, 08:29 AM
It was always flat cola and a salty tomatoe. Both of mine dont like tomatoes so they get a few satly crisps in a sandwich and the flat cola and it seems to help them recuperate quicker.

jadavi
08-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Thos one is new to Me. What's coke got that's good? Why not squash or juice with water?

The Juggler
08-01-2012, 09:18 AM
i think it's mainly the sugar hon. a fast way to replace it. our GP also told us flat lemonade.

however, you gotta watch coke too much and it can give you diarrhea again.:panic:

Pipsqueak
08-01-2012, 09:25 AM
Thos one is new to Me. What's coke got that's good? Why not squash or juice with water?

there is something in Coke (and it has to be Coca Cola) that kills germs. It has to be flat so to make it flat stick sugar in and stir.
People who do a lot of water sports swear by it as they are exposed to wiels disease (rats pee in water basically).

remember - truck drivers often use coca cola to clean their truck engines - if it can strip through that grease and oil (which it does) then its going to kill any germs in your tummy. Coca Cola is good for cleaning mucky pennies and toilets too!

during D&V it is important to keep hydrated and replenish fluid and salts and mineral. Dioralyte is good for this

The Juggler
08-01-2012, 09:35 AM
there is something in Coke (and it has to be Coca Cola) that kills germs. It has to be flat so to make it flat stick sugar in and stir.
People who do a lot of water sports swear by it as they are exposed to wiels disease (rats pee in water basically).

remember - truck drivers often use coca cola to clean their truck engines - if it can strip through that grease and oil (which it does) then its going to kill any germs in your tummy. Coca Cola is good for cleaning mucky pennies and toilets too!

during D&V it is important to keep hydrated and replenish fluid and salts and mineral. Dioralyte is good for this

I never knew that! i thought it was just the sugar.

given your second para, no wonder it can give you diarrhea :panic:

chez
08-01-2012, 09:39 AM
I was always not allowed to eat for 24 hr hours after the last bout, then only dry foods for the next 12 hrs.

Personally I tend to find salt crisps really helps me

jadavi
08-01-2012, 10:31 AM
I find it odd the doc would recommend coke just for the sigar and water cos there are so many healthier drinks. I thought coke was one of the no no drinks ?(except as a treat and in the same category as chocolate etc)
Maybe its the fizz which can help tummies ...but then..flat coke???

ORKSIE
08-01-2012, 11:30 AM
I was told to drink flat Lemonade...Coke is a new one on me.

You learn something new every day:thumbsup:

xx

Trouble
08-01-2012, 11:32 AM
I was told to drink flat Lemonade...Coke is a new one on me.

You learn something new every day:thumbsup:

xx

it was anything with lots of sugar and what pip said did the job on K

mushpea
08-01-2012, 05:16 PM
well , he had his toast and milk, ate the lot, went to bed and was asleep almost straight away which is totaly unheard of for him so I really thought we were in for a rough night,, but he didnt wake once and was absoultly fine,,
I remember mum giving my flat lucozade when I was ill and dry toast,, i cant stand lucozade now,, she also used to clean the sick bucket with detol and now I use it to clean where the animals have been and I cant stand the smell of it because it reminds me of when I was ill !