PDA

View Full Version : Next steps ? how long ?

It's a small world
06-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Hi still trying to get to grips with obs and learning journal. Convinced Ive been doing it wrong but have 3 new mindees so attempting to get it right this time. DH bought me a book by Penny Tassoni Practical EFS Handbook which looks quite good not looked at it properly yet though.

Anyway if I do an ob and suggest next steps ie: In this book it has Swinging and questions about the obs then for planning suggests climbing and balancing etc. Does it matter if you do an ob and then lo doesnt necessarily do next steps for say 3 months? Mindee very laid back sits and plays with same toys or just sits. Very hard to get them movitated or interested in any activities or toys etc really hard as other too very curious and involve themselves in anything we do and loves joining in...

Hope that makes sense? xx

Mollymop
06-01-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm sure there is no wrong way of doing your LJ or obs as long as you can show you are helping the child reach their milestones in your own way.
It doesn't matter if it takes a good while for a child to complete a "next step". When they do, link it from the observation to the "next step" so it all links together in the child's LJ ( I usually put on Observation form - "See Next Steps form dated - 09/09/09")
You can also show, with your next steps/planning, that you are helping to child complete this certain "next step".

hth

It's a small world
06-01-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm sure there is no wrong way of doing your LJ or obs as long as you can show you are helping the child reach their milestones in your own way.
It doesn't matter if it takes a good while for a child to complete a "next step". When they do, link it from the observation to the "next step" so it all links together in the LJ
You can show with your next steps/planning, that you are helping to child complete this certain "next step".
hth

Thanks yes it does help. LJ just look so bare , but looking at some of the pics Ive taken I think I link some of them to one of the areas and take it form there thanks. Just want it to look professional as parent due to take it home in a few weeks xxx

Mollymop
06-01-2012, 09:25 PM
In my LJ each month I print off photos of the child doing things, about 4 photos per page and about 3 pages full and then - as you said - link them to the areas too. That should help fill your LJ. DOn't forget to put any art work, dated, in too and write on the back of art work obs and then link it to the areas xx

green puppy
06-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Some next steps can be as simple as repeating an activity for enjoyment or practice, allowing more time for getting ready when you observe a child attempting to put shoes on etc.... How old is the child?

It's a small world
07-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Some next steps can be as simple as repeating an activity for enjoyment or practice, allowing more time for getting ready when you observe a child attempting to put shoes on etc.... How old is the child?

16 months xx