PDA

View Full Version : How do I approach enquiry for place starting a long way off?

Lucinda
06-01-2012, 03:12 PM
I'm new to childminding, and still finding my feet with it all!!

I have had a parent contact me that is interested in childcare for her two children starting in September. In terms of my situation, I have had a baby myself but aim to start minding in the next month or so and will soon be driving for places and advertising more etc - I havent yet got any children on roll.

Obviously, the interest from the parent is appealing - but my concern is that if I book her in its a long time to wait till Sept and Im potentially blocking places that other parents could take and start sooner.

Do I charge a retainer (if so, whats a reasonable amount)...do I say contact me nearer the time (by which time I may have others paying sooner)?...

Any advice gratefully received!! How do you work it?

rosebud
06-01-2012, 07:14 PM
I would ask her to contact you 2-3 months in advance (june / july) when you will know better whether you will have a space. If I sign someone up 2 or 3 months in advance then I ask them to pay the first months fees when the contract is signed as a non-refundable deposit. This ensures they are fully commited.