PDA

View Full Version : need help fast

Tiamarie
04-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Since starting childminding I feel that I have not had much help I am sooo confused with the eyfs need to give a learning journal to my mindee parents soon and feel like crying with it all.
Sorry I am enjoying my little cherubs!!!! does anyone have some kind of draft copy of what a learning journey should look like and do you have to keep all obs separate.
Sorry for me ranting thank you.
sues:(:(

AliceK
05-01-2012, 09:54 AM
I understand where you are coming from. My LJ's were confused and I felt a mess until I bought Sarahs LJ Year e-book. Now I know what I'm doing and they are organised. There are loads of templates / blank forms for you to use in there. I would highly recommend it :thumbsup:

xxxx

sarah707
05-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Awww thank you Alice that's really kind of you!

I think a lot of the problem is that there are so many ways of doing things and everyone is different.

but different is good because it will make what you do even more special!

You can start with something simple like a scrap book for part time children and little observations / assessments and planning for the full timers then build up when you get more confident with the whole thing.

Have a nosey round the forum as well there are lots of ideas :D

mrs robbie williams
05-01-2012, 06:50 PM
I only have one in the eyfs at the moment and her lj is a big ring binder folder, i started with her 'all about me' form and went from there, i just put in photo's, artwork etc and link them all to eyfs and put next steps in and show how im following them

Bluebell
05-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Good luck with the learning journals - I've changed how I do mine and am not sure if what I do is right for the EYFS/Ofsted as I aim it to be more of a parent update.

I just write what we've done for the day, anything that is of note - like 'really good sharing' or that they particularly enjoyed a certain activity. If i can link it to the EYFS I do but just write as I would normally and then put in brackets underneath the bit I'm highlighting so for example "we went to the library today and the children used the automated machines to return their books - 'know how to use simple equipment' "
I have little logos too that I use that would indicate this comes within KUW - NCMA sell stickers that you could use. I never really know how specific I need to be - for parents I think its sufficient to say KUW as its shows all the different things that cover the EYFS and what a balanced day children can get just on the everyday things we do. However because I have my Ofsted due I have started highlighting the more specific examples of which bit it is relevant to.
The main thing I do is take photos because parents can see the variety of activities their children do, that they are happy and it is something they can share with the children. The children love looking at the pictures and talking about it. I've recently stopped doing it as a scrapbook version and do it on the computer. Its a little less personal but I can e-mail it straight to the parents and then I print it out to stick in the journal. Of course I'm hoping that the happy smiling occupied children in a variety of activities will impress Ofsted!
I do find it frustrating that there isn't very clear indication of the 'right' way to do things because as a newbie I have no idea but as Sarah says doing your own version will be more personal for the children and their family. I have had a really good response from the families thanking me for sharing their childs day with them so for me I'm really pleased that what I'm doing at the moment works well!

The Juggler
05-01-2012, 09:59 PM
aww hon. they are unique to you and your mindees. I think of mine like a scrapbook so they have

short obs
long obs
photos
artwork
other notes

they are a mish mash which tell a story :thumbsup:

do it your way :)

VeggieSausage
06-01-2012, 01:11 PM
keep it really simple and don't worry, I think if you start simply - you can then build on it more easily than doing too much when you are not sure what to do.

You could do:

1. Front page with photo and name, dob

2. Info from parents when they started - about naps, food, family etc

3. For the first 6 weeks (depends how many days a week you have them, if only 1 day a week for example more than 6 weeks) write some basic observations - could be on post it notes or just make a note of them in the folder. Link each observation to an area of learning in the EYFS - such as XX is going up on all fours - link would be Physical Development - you can put the sub category as well if you want.

4. After 6 weeks, do their starting points - write out/type up a round up of what the child is doing in each of the 6 areas of learning, then what your plans are for the next period such as Encourage XX to crawl - then the activities you will do to do this such as - by placing some toys just out of reach or give lots of floor time at varied environments to increase muscle strength in preparation for crawling. Would be good to jot down in each areas summary what developmental age category that child falls into.

5. So then over the next quarter - make more obs either short ones or do the odd planned longer one, then at the end of the period do the summary again and next moves again.

I am now able to make improvements in mine based on a solid simple grounding that is easy to understand and parents will be thrilled to see photos etc. If mum says that lo is enjoying trains at home - then make a note and stick it in, put artwork in there, photos and pass to parents every so often to sign they have seen it and make comments.

Hope I haven't gone on too long - good luck xx

Tiamarie
08-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Thanks for everybodys help