PDA

View Full Version : Charging retainer during summer hols

TillyTwinkle
19-05-2008, 10:49 PM
I have been offered a temporary job during the summer holidays working 9am-3pm monday - friday which i have said i will do as my mindees are term time only.

Having said that i also have a lady who is willing to pay a retainer during the holidays to secure her child a place before and after school from september.

I just wondered if i was right in taking her money or not? Another childminder i know is working with me and is also confused as to whether its ok or not!!

Do i just need to make sure im available during normal minding hours for those on my books (in which case i would be anyway!!)

Sorry if its an obvious/stupid question....im easily confused!!:confused:

xx

ajs
19-05-2008, 10:50 PM
i personally wouldn't feel right taking a retainer if i couldn't offer the child a place in the holidays too
but other's may disagree

Blaze
19-05-2008, 10:53 PM
If I have understood you right you can still take the retaining fee....as long as there will be a space if it's needed (ie your other mindees who are not with you space would be free). .. if there would not be a space at all then you can't charge the retaining fee! Hope I've made sense!:)

angeldelight
20-05-2008, 07:29 AM
If I was working and unable to take the child anyway I would not take a retainer fee

Good luck

Angel xx

ma7ie
20-05-2008, 08:05 AM
The NCMA handbook states

Retainers should only be charged when there is a place available which is not being used.

Your childminding service must always be available during the retainer period

Retainer fees keep the place available for use at any time with agreement between the parent and childminder.

Hope that helps.

Blaze
20-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Much better put Marie!!!:)

angeldelight
20-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Yeah I thought that also Blaze

Think Marie swallowed the book haha

Angel xx

susi513
20-05-2008, 07:31 PM
When you agree to take a retainer, I suggest putting in your contract how much notice parents must give you if they want to use the retained place and that if they do not give the required notice there is no guarantee of availability. And that there are no reductions or refunds due to unavailability where the required notice was not provided.

I also give parents a booking confirmation form that they sign which days they do/do not need each holiday. That way, when they have said they do not need certain days, I am free to book out the place to anyone else or do what I like on that day if I have no other mindees. I do not charge 2 families for the same place so if I did book someone else in the first family would get their money back. But if I can't accommodate parents new request, I would not be in breach of my contract to take the retainer whilst being unavailable because the parent didn't give the notice required by my contract.

I know opinion is divided on this. Some childminders feel morally obliged to refund the retainer if they are unavailable - even if parents leave it til the very last minute before advising they do need you after all or even contacting you after the day of childcare is well under way.

Personally, I'm not going to be sitting at home waiting just in case someone changes their mind ! JMHO

TillyTwinkle
20-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Think i confused a few people with my question (as well as myself having re-read it!!)

Mrs M says she is willing to pay a retainer for the summer hol period to secure childs space as of september.
Normal hours of care for her child will be 8am - 9am and 3.15pm-5.30pm.

So unless she called in advance for care all day am i not within my rights to only provide it during normal contracted hours? Her retainer fee is only for the above hours and not a full day also!!

Therefore if i was to work between 9am - 3pm i am still available for 'normal' contracted hours! Or have i got this all wrong?!

:blush:

Blaze
21-05-2008, 01:22 AM
No you've got that right!:clapping: :thumbsup:

littletreasures
21-05-2008, 06:38 AM
No, that's right!!

littletreasures

miffy
21-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Technically yes and if the parent is happy to pay the retainer then that is fine

miffy xx

buildingblocks
13-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Having said that i also have a lady who is willing to pay a retainer during the holidays to secure her child a place before and after school from september.

I just wondered if i was right in taking her money or not? Another childminder i know is working with me and is also confused as to whether its ok or not!!
xx

A retainer is paid for the place to be used if required so if you are unavailable to work then you cannot charge a retainer. But if you would be able to work the hours the retainer is for if required to even though you have the other job then I suppose you could charge the retainer.