PDA

View Full Version : I'm off to the Olympics!!

ninagee
01-01-2012, 05:39 PM
Happy New Year to everyone!

In 2010 I applied as a volunteer Games Maker. My interview was in June 2011 and just informed that I got through! I have accepted my role as a first aid responder and waiting now for the training dates. It hasn’t sunk in yet even though I was discussing it with OH today. Applicants 250,000; 100,000 interviewed for 70,000 positions so I am a very lucky girl!! :jump for joy:

My New Year mission is:

1. Find a full time nanny for my own two kids (DD9 and DS7) as OH will be out of the country with his RAF job - out of the whole year they choose that time to send him away and not negotiable :angry:. No one from our families can look after the kids full time :(

2. Save the money to pay for the full time nanny.

3. Find somewhere to live in London for the 10 days I have to volunteer for – I have registered my interest in two camp sites set up for volunteers during the games. Had a look at B&B and the prices are extortionate!!

I think that’s enough to give me a headache just thinking about it. Just finished my monthly newsletter for the parents to give the good news and that I will help them find alternative childcare if they need it.

I’m off now for a glass of red wine to calm my nerves…

Nina :)

Zoomie
01-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Congratulations.

I am not fussed about going to the Olympics, but imagine as it gets closer I will probably regret it.

Hope you have fun.

blue bear
01-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Well done, might be cheaper to send them to pgl or other type if activity camp fir the 10 days, just be a problem if they were Ill though.

sarah707
01-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Oh wow well done you! :clapping:

You have 2 lovely children I am sure it won't be hard to sort them out.

I used to go on PGL holidays like fifi suggests and I loved them... I still have happy memories and friends I keep in contact with from those times so it's definitely worth considering. :D

Carol M
02-01-2012, 09:31 AM
How exciting Nina, well done you :clapping:
We are hoping to visit friends in Surrey in July, the cycle races go past their house . We have to arrive before 6am as the roads will be shut off for races and leave after 6pm. We could camp in garden but looked at hotels and as you say, extortionate!!
I'm sure you will find someone suitable to care for your children.
Carol xx

ninagee
03-01-2012, 10:14 PM
I always wanted to go on a pgl holiday when I was a kid but we could never afford it :( When I started my first job after leaving school, I saved up and went on adventure holidays in the Peak District, Lake District and Wales which was the best thing ever!

I have ordered a brochure and will speak to OH and kids when it arrives. Thank you for your comments, I knew you would help me out with ideas!

Nina :)

louise
04-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Well done, The pgl holiday sounds a great idea as the kids will have a summer to remember as well and you will know they will be doing loads.

ninagee
27-07-2012, 09:06 AM
The day has arrived and I am off to London tomorrow :jump for joy: My accommodation is a tent and not looking forward to the 04.30am wake up calls!

The training we had was excellent and every person I met is so happy to be there. Some travelled from abroad to attend a day's training which is a huge commitment.

Kids are off to PGL tomorrow and they are very excited. For the second week they are staying with relatives.

OH's leave was cancelled as he is one of 3,500 military personnel used for security. So he will be stuck for two weeks at the security gate at a venue. :laughing: Not a happy man but I've told him to just get on with it and stop whinging :laughing: As you can see there is no sympathy from me!!

Watching the opening ceremony tonight and then a good night's sleep in a proper bed.

Nina

PixiePetal
27-07-2012, 09:15 AM
You sound sooo excited! hoping you really enjoy your time - once in a lifetime to remember and look back on :thumbsup:

have fun :clapping:

desiderata
27-07-2012, 09:32 AM
lucky you !! have fun it will certainly be a time to remember x

Mollymop
27-07-2012, 10:18 AM
That's brilliant I bet your very excited I love the Olympics

Carol M
27-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Have a great time Nina. I'm sure it will be exhausting but very worth the while.
Take care
Carol xx

loocyloo
27-07-2012, 07:04 PM
wow!

how exciting! enjoy!

DHs great aunt ( or similar sort of relation! ;) ) was a volunteer for the toronto olympics and had the time of her life.

ninagee
28-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Thank you for your lovely comments! This is my last chance to browse and post until I return back to work after the Olympics.

Bye for now

Nina :jump for joy::jump for joy::jump for joy::jump for joy:

angeldelight
28-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Hope you have a great time Nina

Angel xx

sarah707
28-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Safe journey and amazing experience!! :clapping::clapping: