PDA

View Full Version : Think I am doing this all wrong and have major league messed up

Phoenix
01-01-2012, 03:44 PM
I really think I have cocked up on my paperwork and need some help please.

This is the children that I have, ages and times can someone tell me which ones I am supposed to be doing obs/learning journals for?

Child A - Mon-Thurs 7.45 - 9.00am aged 3
Child B - Mon/Tue/Thur - pick up from home drop to nursery ages 3.5

Child C - Tue/Thur/Fri pick up school 3.30 - 5.30pm aged 4

Child D - Tues 12-4.30pm (as and when) aged 3yrs
Child E (above sibling) no set times, as and when aged 2yrs

Child F - aged 10 - no learning journal required
Child G - aged 10 - no learning journal required

Child H - Tues/Thur/Fri - pick up school, drop straight to after school club aged 6yrs

I do do a learning journal for Child D/E, but as I only have them now and again it is very minimal

I am really worried I havent been doing what I should have been, although the other children are in full time education or are just pick up and drop off!!!

I also do very little planning for the after school children as they generally do whatever they want to after school, we play board games or do drawings or watch tv/play on Wii, but I dont really plan anything, I have a separate diary and sometimes scribble what we have done in there, but generally leave it for them to decide what they would like to do, especially as the 10yr olds like to just sit together and have girly chats or read - really think I am doing this all wrong!!!

Bob
01-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Hi Pheonix, as far as I understand it we need to do obs/LJ's on all EYFS children. That is all children from birth until 31st Aug after their 5th birthday.
Don't get too despondant though as you only need to do the obs in proportion to the time you have them.

So for example Child C you have for 6 hrs a week as opposed to the school who have them for 30 hrs a week.

There are lots of areas that you won't be able to observe because you just won't have the time or the opportunity.

Just make sure you are sharing the obs with the parents, and with their written permission, the school.
Hope this helps
Bob

Just had another read of your post and when the after schoolies are chatting and playing is the time to do some obs.
i.e. do they take the lead in games?
What sort of words are they using?
Are they counting in their games?
etc

mrs robbie williams
01-01-2012, 04:07 PM
As far as I can work out you only dont need to LJ's and Obs for children F,G and H xx

Phoenix
01-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Child B and Child H do not come back to my home they are pick up from home/school and dropped back home/after school club, so I cant do journels for them

Also Child C, who will be 5 in Feb, the parents have told me that they do not want me to complete a learning journel as the child has spent all day at school and they arent interested in a journal????? What do I do there?

nikki thomson
01-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Child B and Child H do not come back to my home they are pick up from home/school and dropped back home/after school club, so I cant do journels for them

Also Child C, who will be 5 in Feb, the parents have told me that they do not want me to complete a learning journel as the child has spent all day at school and they arent interested in a journal????? What do I do there?

Hi, technically I think your supposed to do LJ on all the pre-school lo's, I'm sure that's what mrs O would say but how when there never in your home I don't know.
With regards to the lo who is in full time school I had the same with the lo I had, I only had her term time and only 3 days after school for 30 mins and we get in have snack she went home, end of story well mrs o wasn't happy I didn't do LJ and even though her parents didn't want me to and didn't want the school discussing lo's achievements etc and the parents wrote a letter to ofsted stating this I still had mrs O telling me I had to do one, I never did. X

muffins
01-01-2012, 05:11 PM
As far as I can work out you only dont need to LJ's and Obs for children F,G and H xx

This!

It doesn't matter if they come to your house or not, they are still in your care so if they are in EYFS age group then you have to do it. It is also a requirement so parents cant actually ask you not too! Although you don't have to do much, its just the thought that counts sometimes;)

Phoenix
01-01-2012, 05:17 PM
I think I will have to speak with Ofsted, the two children that dont come to my home, on is collected from her home in the morning and we walk to the end of the rd and she is dropped to nursery, then picked up at 4pm and walked straight back home to her house, 3 times a week, where can that possibly allow me to make a learning journal from that!!!! And the other child is collected after school and dropped straight to an after school club, which is on the way back in the car on a school run...again he doesnt as far as i am aware require a LJ!!! This is ridiculous, the reason that parents choose childminders are because they want a home experiance for their children, most of my mindees have just spent 6hrs at school, they want to chill out and relax not have me chasing them round with a pack of post-its and asking them why they are doing what they're doing!!! Grrrrrrr

Phoenix
04-01-2012, 12:58 PM
I have spoken with Ofsted today and they have advised me that I do not need to do LJ's for the children that I am dropping/collected and that arent actually coming to my setting.

Phew!!!! Thought I was right but thought I would check

Natternic
07-01-2012, 08:27 AM
glad you have rung ofsted, I would write down who what when they told you and keep in your files for Mrs O.
I would also ring ofsted and ask them the same question again in a few weeks, as sometimes they give you different answers.

for my over 5's I have asked them to jot a few notes down as to what they have been doing they are in the process of putting photos and art in their own scrapbook. - I dont need to do it i just thought it was nice for them to have something when they leave.

Phoenix
07-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Thanks Natternic,

That is actually a really nice idea, we do have a art section in my home and also I take pic's and they go on my notice board in the hallway but a group scrapbook might be nice so Mrs O can see what we do - we can have that on display for any newbies who may come and also Ofsted