PDA

View Full Version : EYFS - INTERESING READING - LONG

angeldelight
19-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Thought this would help some of you understand EYFS

Taken from Teachernet

Will the EYFS require childminders to complete lots of extra paperwork?

No. The EYFS does not require childminders to keep written copies of their policies and procedures providing they are able to clearly explain them to parents and others when required. The EYFS expect practitioners to observe children's progress and respond appropriately to help them to take the next steps in their development and make progress towards the early-learning goals. This is something a good practitioner will already be doing as part of their everyday practice.

For example, a practitioner may notice that a child currently has a particular interest in water — repeatedly pouring water from one container to another and back again. As a result, the practitioner may provide lots of opportunities for the child to continue exploring this area. Although it may sometimes be helpful to note down observations,it is not a requirement to do so. A certain amount of planning is required to ensure that children are provided with a varied range of activities which will engage their interest and foster their
developing skills and abilities, but the EYFS does not prescribe what form that planning should take or how it should be recorded.

Will before and after school clubs, holiday play schemes and
childminders who provide wraparound care have to implement the EYFS?

Yes, if they are registered on the Early Years Register, but it will not require effective practitioners to make significant changes to their practice. The EYFS places strong emphasis on meeting children's individual needs. A child's needs will be very different after a busy day at school, for example, than they will be during the school day.
There is no expectation that out of school provision should seek to replicate the type of experience a child will receive in school.

Will parents still be able to choose the type of early-years provision
which best suits their child?

All early years provision in Ofsted registered childcare settings and maintained and independent schools will be required to implement the EYFS from September 2008. However, parents will continue to have the choice about the type of provision their child receives as the Government believes that alternative approaches can work well alongside the flexible approach of the EYFS. The EYFS sets the standards for the care, learning and development young children should experience when they attend a setting outside the family home. It will ensure they receive a high quality experience regardless of the type of setting they attend. It expects practitioners to meet children's individual needs and support them in taking the next steps in their development. However, it does not prescribe the approach that practitioners should take — they have complete flexibility in the way in which they do this.

May providers give children medicines which have not been prescribed
for them e.g. pain and fever relief and teething gel?

Yes. We have amended the statutory guidance in the EYFS to reflect that providers may give children non-prescription medication when they have prior written consent from the parent and when there is a health need to do so. However, children should never be given medicine containing aspirin unless it has been prescribed by a doctor.

Does the EYFS require providers to keep medicines in a locked container?

No. We have amended the statutory guidance in the EYFS. Except in the
case of controlled drugs (the supply, possession and administration of which is controlled by the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971) there is no requirement that medicines should be locked away. Medicines which may be needed quickly in an emergency should not be locked away. Medicines should be stored strictly in accordance with product instructions and In the original container.

Why have you changed the wording of the legal requirement about
carrying out risk assessments for outings?

The original wording of this requirement required providers to carry out a risk assessment for each specific outing. We have amended this to require them carry out a risk assessment for each type of outing.
The risk assessment should be reviewed before each outing. This change
has been made in response to concerns that it would be
disproportionate to carry out a risk assessment for each outing.

What is meant by the terms 'child-initiated' and 'adult-led'?

When a child engages in a self chosen pursuit, this is child initiated activity. For example, a child might elect to play with a fire engine — fitting the driver behind the steering wheel, extracting the driver, replacing the driver,throwing the driver back into a box and introducing a different driver. Another instance of a child-initiated choice may be where a child takes ownership of an activity and 'subverts' it to a different purpose than intended. For example, a
child might prefer to pour water into a hole to make a puddle rather than watering the plants as the adult intended. Other child-initiated activities may be instigated when the child brings something to the setting — such as an experience of having been on a bus or visiting hospital. This might lead to the provision of resources, stories and pictures to support this interest. Small group times are a good example of an adult-led activity — the adult has selected the time to encourage a particular aspect of learning, or discuss a particular topic. The adult may introduce a particular material, skill or idea.

Often when an adult initiates an activity, for example demonstrates
the skill of weaving, the child's need for adult involvement will decrease over time as they master the skill.

ajs
19-05-2008, 09:45 PM
going to print it and take it to bed thanks angel hopefully it will cure my insomnia xxx

Spangles
19-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks Angel, that's really useful.

What I particularly liked was the fact it was all written in plain English for a change! I understood every word! Amazing!

x

crazybones
20-05-2008, 06:17 AM
Thanks Angel. I agree with Lorri I also understood every word :eek:

funtoplay
20-05-2008, 06:46 AM
Thats fab, things are slowly starting to sink in!!!

Julia

Mollymop
20-05-2008, 06:56 AM
Thank you so much Angel, for that. xxxx

scottie
20-05-2008, 06:57 AM
thanks for that will take a while to read and understand:thumbsup:

wendywu
20-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Well that was easy to understand.:)

mrsb
20-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks Angel you're a star x

Bella
20-05-2008, 08:37 PM
that's interesting, Where did you get it from?

angeldelight
20-05-2008, 08:41 PM
I got the information from Teachernet

Angel xx

breezy
20-05-2008, 09:10 PM
thanks angel, thats clear and in english not gobboldy gook!!!!!!!!!!!!

hbomb1
21-05-2008, 06:37 AM
Thanks Angel, I understood every word :thumbsup:

miffy
21-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Thanks Angel

I will print it to keep for future reference

miffy xx

chubbymummy
21-05-2008, 11:18 AM
thank you for that

puts it a bit more simply

Mags
21-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Thankyou Angel

i understood that easily.....is there something wrong with me today???:laughing:

flora
21-05-2008, 11:43 AM
thanks for that Angel,

why can't all EYFS stuff be written so clearly ????

nell57
21-05-2008, 11:48 AM

Helen

Saz
28-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Thank you Angel :thumbsup:

avril
28-05-2008, 08:17 AM
Thankyou Angel, that was easy to absorb into the grey matter :thumbsup:

Splish Splosh
28-05-2008, 09:18 AM
thankyou Angel:thumbsup: