PDA

View Full Version : how and what to charge for

butterfly87
28-12-2011, 08:25 PM
hi im currently in the process of registering to become a childminding and am trying to work out fees etc.

what do people typical charge for , eg bank hols holidays?? do you charge full fee or half fee .

and what about asking for fees in advance or arrears?

Please help im getting in a muddle lol

Thanks
vicki

mayberry
29-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Its personal choose, I get paid 52 weeks of the year full pay for 4wks holiday, parent Holidays, all bank holidays, and if Child does not attend for any reason. :) My advice with your fees don’t out price yourself you need to be competitive Talk to childminders in your area?

You have to find out what you would be happy with :) Good luck with your new business.

Happy new year 2012

Dawn xx

Playmate
29-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Its personal choose, I get paid 52 weeks of the year full pay for 4wks holiday, parent Holidays, all bank holidays, and if Child does not attend for any reason. :) My advice with your fees don’t out price yourself you need to be competitive Talk to childminders in your area?

You have to find out what you would be happy with :) Good luck with your new business.

Happy new year 2012

Dawn xx

I agree talk to others locally to set your hourly/ daily rate.

I work with hubby we have a daily rate as it easier to work with and our parents prefer it (food is included).
BH's are charged at full pay and 4 weeks holiday at half pay. All of our parents pay an equal monthly amount in advance (total cost for the year divided by 12). Works for us as no invoice's are required. All parents set up a direct payment on the 1st of the month.

Good luck :D

greenfields
29-12-2011, 10:15 AM
I think it will depend on your area and personal choice. Could you do an internet search for your area?

I should be registered in a month or two so I've set my fees, although I expect I'll be altering them as I go along and learn.

I will charge for full day and half day. I won't be charging for bank holidays. I don't want to work them so I don't feel I can charge when I'm not willing to work. Although many people do charge and I understand their theory too. Child's holidays half fee for 2 wks, full for 2wks+. No fee for my holiday.

I've learnt so far that you should take payment in advance. Unfortunately it's not uncommon for people to be late with payments and it'll soon add up. I will only work the days I've been paid for, upfront.

Good luck, it is very confusing at first (at least it was for me anyway) but it slowly all clicks into place.

Toothfairy
29-12-2011, 05:03 PM
As others have said, it depends on where you live as to what hourly rate to charge. You don't want to go in too high or too low.

Always ask for fee's in advance and stick to your guns when it comes to your policies and procedures.

I charge the following;

*I have a pay date of the 27th of each month and ask for CLEARED funds for this date. This means cheques and childcare vouchers need to be paid/activated 4-5 days before the 27th.
*Term time only mindee's are charged half fee's during the holidays and visa versa for the holiday only mindee's.
*If I am off sick or on holiday, I do not charge but if the child is unwell or on holiday then I charge full fee's.
*I don't work BH's so I don't charge for them.
*I charge £5 for every 15mins for late collection of mindee's.
*I charge £10 per day for late payments.
*Parents supply nappies, wipes, sunblock, nappy cream etc.
*Parents supply a packed lunch and/or Tea, powdered baby milk and weening foods.
*I supply snacks and drinks for free.
*I pay for all outings and activities but do let parents know that donations for the outings are always welcome.
*I charge by the session, not by the hour (8am-1pm & 1pm-6pm)
*Before school is a minimum of 1hr and after school is a minimum of 2hrs.

Good luck, you will get loads of help and info from the forum :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
29-12-2011, 07:04 PM
As others have said do your research.

I charge session rates but am flexible - before school, after school, term time, holidays and casual

Before school is £6.00 plus .50p breakfast if requested
After School is £14 plus £2.50 for a meal
All day £40 plus £2.50 per meal or parents bring food
£25 school hours (9-3)
Soft Play - £5 per week
Holidays £10 per week for all outings
My hols 2 weeks full pay
Parents hols - full pay

I work out the total cost, including food and soft play and multiply it by 52 weeks and divide by 12. Equal payments and budgets for parents and me. Note that I recalculate this if a parent leaves before the end of a full 12 months and sometimes I have to refund

butterfly87
29-12-2011, 10:07 PM
thank you all, that is a lot of information to take in :panic: im sure it will all make sense soon lol