PDA

View Full Version : OMG OFSTED are coming next wednesday!!! So scared!!

jw19nr
19-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Hello. Ofsted just rang, nearly didnt answer the phone as it was a private number and I was driving, but pulled over and glad I did. Basically, she is coming next wednesday to do my pre-reg. She said she needs to assess my knowledge on the national standards (She seemed pretty focused on this so maybe I need to re-read) and obviously check the house etc.

HELP! Really panicking now! She mentioned window locks as an example of the safety things she would look for and said it would be an apsolute no-no to have no window locks on rooms that children will be plaing in. Does this mean I have to have the locks on EVERY room I want registered (ideally wanted bedrooms etc registered for sleep etc) or just where they will be playing?

Absolutly crapping myself now!!

What do I need to do? My house is a mess! I am behind with housework (:blush: ), need lots of safety things doing, need to know more about the standards (do have basic knowledge though) and sort out somesort of paperwork. Also, I don't have many toys yet (have loads for under 1, some for undeer 2 but nothing really for over 2). Will that matter at this stage??

How much paperwork should I have done?

My CRB is already done (had one already and she said that was fine), but my husband will give his form to the inspector. Will this help speed things up or will it take just as long as I wil still have to wait for his??

caza
19-05-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm afraid I cant really be of any help as I will be in the same position as you very soon and I know I will panic too. And whats all this about National Standards?? :eek:

Anyway just wanted to wish you loads of luck for you visit :thumbsup:

Caroline

Pipsqueak
19-05-2008, 04:34 PM
http://www.surestart.gov.uk/_doc/P0002411.pdf

Your National Standards!!!!:D To be replaced with EYFS in Sept

DON'T panic about the pre-reg - the pre-reg is basically to assess you and the premises to see if you are suitable. If anything needs doing then you will get a list of "actions" that you have to do.

Read through the Standards - and compare/contrast yourself and setting. Tick each one of as you are satisfied with it.

Get down on your hands and knees and check your premises from a childs point of view. Don't do it particuarly from your own childrens point of views either - they will know their boundaries in their own home. Have a really good think - do you need stairgates, cupboard catches, socket covers etc?

Are their gaps/holes in your garden fence, nails sticking out.

Make a "wish list" of things that you want to get in your setting - things to show positive reinforcement of different people/cultures/abilities

How will you meet hygiene - sep towels/flannels etc

Just stuff to think about!

You will be fine - don;t worry
xxx

miffy
19-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Just wanted to wish you good luck

miffy xx

mrsb
19-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Just wanted to wish you luck and also give you a tip. Keep your own bedroom unregistered, or a spare room as you can always shove everything in there that you don't want seen ;) I quite often have a pile of ironing needing doing or some washinng drying etc, I can just put it in my room and lock the door and no one is any the wiser lol

jaz
19-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Just thought I would mention, I hid all the ironing and stuff in my bedroom and they even looked in there even after i told them mindees would not be going in there :panic:

J
x

Mollymop
19-05-2008, 05:54 PM
You'll be absolutely fine, try not to worry about it. She isn't going to expect oyu to have everything in place, just tell her what you are going to be doing, etc. I was told you will need window lock on windows where the children are. I didn't want to damage my windows upstairs so i only registered downstairs. Maybe soemthing i will look into in the future.
Good luck, you'll be fine.

Pipsqueak
19-05-2008, 05:55 PM
They shouldn't have done Jaz, that was either plain nosiness or ignorance! If it ain't reg'd then they don't need to look!

Mollymop
19-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Sorry I just also wanted to add that my inspector didn't want to see any of my paper work, se said it wasn't important at this stage.
And even though I wanted downstairs registered and not upstairs she still had a quick look in all of my rooms upstairs.
I didn't have a stairgate, hooks for my keys, etc when she came, i just told her everything I was going to be doing and buying and she was happy with that, so try not to worry

Mollymop
19-05-2008, 05:59 PM
They shouldn't have done Jaz, that was either plain nosiness or ignorance! If it ain't reg'd then they don't need to look!

Yep mine did the same, and everyone else I know around here, they did the same! I was warned by them in advance. Haha
Apparently is just in case you have meat cleavers and guns hiding up there.:rolleyes:

crazybones
19-05-2008, 06:02 PM
I have mentioned this before but an inspector told me once that another inspector had found a cannabis farm in an unregistered bedroom once and that is why they check all the rooms. :eek:

Spangles
19-05-2008, 06:59 PM
My inspector checked all of my rooms too for the same reason, they have to be satisfied that nothing untoward is going on in your home!

There's no need for you to have everything in place for this inspection, she will basically be looking for you to show her that you know it needs to be done.

You could type a list of all the safety precautions etc you are going to take and what you need to buy etc to show her.

Read through the National Standards because she will ask you how you will meet them - but in very specific questions that are easy to answer by common sense really!

Don't panic, it will be absolutely fine.

Linzi
19-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Hi,

Just wanted to wish you luck with your inspection, i am sure everything will be fine :)

When i had my first inspection they basically asked me some questions relating to all the ofsted guidelines and about the activities and policies i would have inplace once i start minding. She also asked to see the toys and books that i had on offer for the children and also wanted to see my first aid box. Oh and they asked if i had a fire blanket which i didn't at the time but they just said to make sure i get one before minding any children.

Hope that helps

Linzi

jw19nr
19-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks everybody. So when you say about the first proper inspection...do you mean there is another one before you start minding?

Just dont know how I am going to get it all done! I have lots on this week and next too, some babysitting work, social plans etc. its a shame as the whole process takes so long, yet they only give you say week of knowing when your inspection wil be. Guess that can't be helped.

My DH isn't working that day anyway (he works shifts) which is really handy as he can look after my DD but still be around for me to feed her.

Pipsqueak
19-05-2008, 09:28 PM
You don't have to get it all done - just show that you are aware that this / that needs doing. Write yourself a list of things you want to mention that you are aware of and your wish list of toys etc.

Yes you get a full on inspection approx 6 months after you register/start minding! That one is pretty nerve wracking but if you are prepared then even that is not too bad!!!:D

angeldelight
20-05-2008, 06:43 AM
Lots of good advice from everyone

Just wanted to say good luck

Angel xx

wendywu
20-05-2008, 07:15 AM
On the very first Ofsted visit the inspector checked every room. But that was the only time. So maybe they only do that once to get the layout of the house.

ma7ie
20-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Inspector never checked my other two bedrooms thankfully.

Good luck on your pre-reg inspections.

charleyfarley
20-05-2008, 08:36 AM
Just wanted to say good luck, try and relax and you will be fine.

In a previous house she did inspect the bedrooms simply because the bathroom was upstairs and children had to go up there.

She never checked the upstairs here though as bathroom is downstairs so no need

Make sure you hide your ironing in the attic, bet she won't check there :laughing:

Carol xx

prettypink0206
20-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Just wanted to say good luck i had my inspection last week and was fine, she didnt look at my other rooms and was mainly sat on my sofa.
:thumbsup:

Rach30
20-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Just wanted to wish you luck and also give you a tip. Keep your own bedroom unregistered, or a spare room as you can always shove everything in there that you don't want seen ;) I quite often have a pile of ironing needing doing or some washinng drying etc, I can just put it in my room and lock the door and no one is any the wiser lol

:laughing: The whole of my upstairs is not registered hence and is a conatant tip for this reason lol at the end of the weekend everything goes up the stairs !

karenjoy
20-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Yep mine did the same, and everyone else I know around here, they did the same! I was warned by them in advance. Haha
Apparently is just in case you have meat cleavers and guns hiding up there.:rolleyes:

I best get rid of them then!!! :laughing: