PDA

View Full Version : Newly Registered, outgoings but no mindees - Help please

biscuits
12-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Hi all,
I was wondering if you could help me, I became a registered Childminder last summer (2011) however what with moving and now being pregnant I haven't actually taken on any mindees. I am now thinking about my tax return 2010-April 2011 - the one that needs to be in very soon! During the tax year year I carried out my first aid course etc so do have expenses for mileage, Ofsted registration etc.

Do I do a tax return for 2010-2011 with just expenses on for that year or shall i (and can i) wait and include them on this year tax return (2011-2012) as I'm hoping to have some mindees in Jan. Not sure if i can do this but not sure if you can do a tax return with just a couple of hundred pounds expenses and that's it.

Any help would be appreciated.

I realise there is alot of info I can get from the NCMA account booklet (i think) however as I'm not yet childminding I haven't joined up with them yet. Might do in Jan if I get a mindee.

Thanks a lot and hope I haven't confused you with my first post!

Chatterbox Childcare
12-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Hello and welcome

Complete your return and it will show a loss. This is fine as you will use the loss against your business when you do start minding

Hope to speak again soon :D

biscuits
12-12-2011, 09:44 PM
oh thanks, I better get all my receipts together, was thinking that as I hadn't earned anything in the tax year I would just be able to include those expenses on next years tax return as I'd be earning then. Makes sense I probably have to do one now even though I'm at a loss.

Thanks very much.

I see there are free downloads etc. to help with tax returns on this forum, I'm debating whether to join the NCMA to get any info they offer - has anyone found the NCMA give out a help (is it in the form of an accounts book?) with your tax return or should the info from the HMRC and the info on here be enough?

thanks again
C

Chatterbox Childcare
13-12-2011, 05:48 PM
The NCMA book was compiled along side the HMRC and I advise new minders to use it for one year and then decide if they want to change. On the NCMA website there is lots of information, including tax. There is also a lot in a list compiled by Sarah and myself at the top of downloads

It isn't hard once you get the hang of it! :D