PDA

View Full Version : exema sufferers, help please

mushpea
07-12-2011, 10:10 PM
My sons excema has flared again, we use dipobase as prescribed an oilatum, just wondering what else we could try, E45 and aqua cream dont work, any suggestions?

sarah707
07-12-2011, 10:24 PM
It's probably the atmosphere in the house now you have the heating on all the time, combined with different clothes to keep him warm and going out into cold air and then back into warm - I am assuming you haven't changed washing powder, soap and substitutes etc.

Eczema children tend to work at a slightly higher normal temp than other children so thin layers work better than big thick jumpers. 100% cotton long sleeved vest and leggings will keep skin warm and allow it to breathe and you can then add layers depending on whether you are in or outside.

Try to keep the house as moist as possible - the heating dries it out. You can use water carriers near radiators or leave bedroom windows slightly open so there is a constant air flow. he might also need lighter bedding.

if you've just put a new thick quilt on his bed it might be too hot OR it might be carrying mites from last year which you need to hot wash out. Make sure you have 100% cotton bedding for him too and cotton pjs. if he says he is hot believe him and let him wear slightly less.

I've just spoken to ds (chronic eczema) and he says in the winter he finds it best to take showers not baths as they just dry him out more. He sends your boy a hug and says whatever you do don't tell him to stop scratching cos he can't!! :laughing:

I hope it settles quickly get to the doc for some stronger cream if it doesn't xx

mushpea
08-12-2011, 07:08 AM
thanks for all the advice sarah707 , I didnt realise they have a higher temp than most people but it would explain a few things, he hates wearing a jumper and wont wear pjs in bed no matter how cold it gets! he would rather have a hot water bottle,, we havent changed his duvet but just added extra fleece blankets but they go on top of the duvet cause he dosent like the feel of them.
I havent change washing powder and apart from the weather I cant think of anythnig else thats changed.
when he was little he would get it quite bad and be red raw and bleeding from itching all over and we used to have to get up 2-3times a night to put more cream on him,, he has had numerous steroid creams and nomal creams and as somone told me steriod creams thin the skin I am a bit reluctant to use them unless he gets really bad then I will.
the worst bit at the moment is his legs and also on his arm which looks like his been burnt:eek: thankfuly the school realises its excema and are good enough to let him go to the office and recream when he needs to.

Velleity
08-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Have you been watching The Food Hospital? They put a boy there on a special diet and his exzema almost completely dissapeared in several weeks.

JulieA
08-12-2011, 08:13 AM
My DD suffers from excema too, and her's is now getting worse and is probably the weather, heating etc as Sarah has suggested. Her's also flares up when she gets stressed - currently doing GCSEs so not a good time!

I make up little bags to go in the bath or use in the shower. They are really simple to make and help to keep her skin soft and help with the itching. Take an old pair of tights, or pop socks and put some oatmeal (can get in a health food shop) and tie securely. When running a bath pop the ball in the water and the water will turn milky - use no other bath products. Whilst bathing squeeze the gunk over the skin and pat dry when done. Can use the same ball for several days.

Doesn't work for everyone but is cheap and natural and well worth a try.

nannymcflea
08-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Dd is 8 and has flare ups. She uses eumovate on her body and hydrocortisone on her face. At the eczema clinic we were told that she could use these every day all her life and not do any damage. Luckily she only uses them at bad times. Other times she uses Dermol for showering and creaming.
It's horrible I hope your Lo gets it under control soon. Ps, aqueous makes my dd worse. X

chez
08-12-2011, 08:38 PM
My partner uses the bodyshop hemp cream, has a strong smell but is fantastic and clears it up well.

Lilylulu
08-12-2011, 10:38 PM
doublebase gel is the best emolient I have ever used in 40 years it has amazed me how good it is, I have tried most things but Im really impressed with this. He may need to use a steroid cream too but this will help loads with dryness and general condition of the skin.
look at diet too, I havent found a link myself but my daughter had a milk intollerance that made her flare up, when we put her on soya she was loads better. It's all trial and error until you find what works for you, good luck x

The Juggler
08-12-2011, 10:41 PM
ds is bad at the mo. we use doublebase and it does go on nicely but we are using betnovate and eumovate too at the moment.

recommend lavender oil in a bath or neat on sore bits. :thumbsup:

Beetlejuice
08-12-2011, 10:41 PM
My DD2 uses Eumovate - though oddly she flares up more in summer when she gets sweaty! There is a link between eczema and dairy - does he drink a lot of milk/is he drinking more than usual? My DD seems to have developed an intolerance to milk so we cut it out of her diet and she doesn't seem to suffer as much except for on her hands whereas before it was all over (particularly the creases behind her knees)

Lilylulu
08-12-2011, 10:56 PM
ooh yes I second the pure lavender oil in the bath too :)

allinatiz
08-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Great suggestions from everyone. I'd like to add Aveeno to them, it worked for one out of three of my daughters so may not work for your son but worth a try x

Cammie Doodle
08-12-2011, 11:31 PM
We have a lady in our village who makes soaps etc from goats milk,its called Baaath Time she can be contacted on lisatanner@tiscali.co.uk , she started because her daughters had such bad exzema. Worth a try

mushpea
09-12-2011, 07:09 AM
My DD2 uses Eumovate - though oddly she flares up more in summer when she gets sweaty! There is a link between eczema and dairy - does he drink a lot of milk/is he drinking more than usual? My DD seems to have developed an intolerance to milk so we cut it out of her diet and she doesn't seem to suffer as much except for on her hands whereas before it was all over (particularly the creases behind her knees)

last year he flared up bad and I cut out all dairy from his diet,, he had either goats or soya milk and goats cheese etc,, it didnt make much difference really, hes flares up with the weather changes and when hes stressed although as far as i know hes not stressed at the moment.

JulieA
09-12-2011, 07:49 AM
I would also second Aveeno. In between oat baths my DD uses Aveeno in the shower and the cream/lotion on dry patches.