PDA

View Full Version : Should we be given a specific date?

Twinkle-Toes
07-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Hiya,

I had a call last wednesday, strike day!!, to determine how many children i look after and my avaliablity for an inspection etc

She called me back and told me the name of my inspector and that it would be in the next 3 weeks?!
So i re-iterated to her that I only have my neice on fridays, have got 4 xmas concerts/parties to go to this week and have no mindees the 3rd week (school holidays) could she confirm it would be the 2nd week?

So she grudgingly said yes, it would be....but she cant tell me which day just the inspector will be here by 12....so if she's not come I can go out. Well thanks alot as I have also told her that all my mindees sleep for 2 hours at 12.30pm!

rosebud
07-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Sometimes they give us a specific day but they are perfectly entitled to turn up with no notice at all, at least you know which week it will be and then it'll be over and done with.

Twinkle-Toes
07-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Sometimes they give us a specific day but they are perfectly entitled to turn up with no notice at all, at least you know which week it will be and then it'll be over and done with.

Thanks for your reply, I've just read my post back and it sounds really mardy. I didn't intend it to be that way!

I am glad they have narrowed it down, just threw me when she seemed to take no notice as to my availability.

I also think i remember seeing that someone, possibly RickySmiths?, said they have to give you a day and time?

QualityCare
07-12-2011, 03:42 PM
My last inspection the inspector herself phoned and asked what children l had on what days she then gave me 2 days and dates when she would come 10 days away and said she would be with me at 9.00am so if she wasn't there the first day at 9 l could get on with my day and not wait for her and l would know she was coming the other day. Inspection before was the same. guess l've been lucky and had really nice ones who understand childminders.

jojobell
07-12-2011, 04:01 PM
hiya expecting u to stay in every morning till 12 for 3 weeks is insane!!! i was lucky mine gave me 2 days tues or fri arraged 5 days in advance she then let slip shewasnt avaible tues and said is fri at 1o ok??? lol i was relived!!!!!!!

rickysmiths
07-12-2011, 09:47 PM

Actually they are not allowed to just turn up. Ofsted states that in the case of childminders the inspector should work around our normal routine and should make a day and time specific appointment. My inspection was due in Sept 2007 and the inspector rang and asked to come in the Aug when I was on holiday! She said she would ring again and she did saying she would come the week before Christmas!!! I told her no, there was no way I was going to let the children miss their parties. She came the following Jan :laughing:

Also I would question staying in until 12. They should be with you before 10am. It is not reasonable to stay in until 12. If it was me I come home at 12 from toddlers at least I can still go if they are not with me by 10am.

Beetlejuice
07-12-2011, 09:55 PM
They aren't meant to give you a specific date so I'm told but I've been really lucky (or not!) in that for my last two inspections I've not been working much so there was only one day a week when I could guarantee I had children so I've known both times when they are coming. I can't yet decide if that's a good thing or not as both times I lost sleep and got myself in a right state! If they just turned up (apparently the way it was done when social services ran inspections) I think I'd just have to get on with it! :laughing:

Twinkle-Toes
08-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Well I've told them I have all 3 children on a Thursday so fingers crossed its then. I will be on red alert from the Monday though, obviously!

rickysmiths
08-12-2011, 12:58 PM
They aren't meant to give you a specific date so I'm told but I've been really lucky (or not!) in that for my last two inspections I've not been working much so there was only one day a week when I could guarantee I had children so I've known both times when they are coming. I can't yet decide if that's a good thing or not as both times I lost sleep and got myself in a right state! If they just turned up (apparently the way it was done when social services ran inspections) I think I'd just have to get on with it! :laughing:

My inspector always booked an appointment never just turned up. According to Ofsted we are supposed to be given a day and time specific appointment for our inspections now.:rolleyes:

aly
08-12-2011, 01:17 PM
well it would be nice to have notice but we are given a 3 month window but mine was over due by 2 months so 5 months/.

don't think its right they tell you tbh.

mummyMia
08-12-2011, 01:45 PM
When my inspector called to check my availability I was only working Tues, Thurs and Fri and she was only working Mon - Wed so she said it will have to be a Tuesday and ended up giving me the exact date and time. On the actual day she arrived half an hour early and called me from outside the house to check if it was ok to come in! :)

Gherkin
08-12-2011, 02:00 PM
When I had my first inspection they ended up giving me a date and a time as they cancelled me 2 times due to urgent appointments and then got the 3rd week wrong in her diary. In the end an entirely different inspector turned up anyway.

Last time they told me when they wanted to see me by and then I gave them my availability which narrowed it down to two possible mornings and they arrived on the second one.

As long as they come on days that I am available rather than me having to change my plans I am not bothered if I don't know the exact day and time.