PDA

View Full Version : Starting up

child_friendly
03-12-2011, 07:49 PM
I am in the process of becoming a CM and struggling with my finances. I don't work as i am a full time mum, my partner works full time so his money goes on the rent, bills, food,and anything else. I get benefits but they are for my son and i don't get any money for myself. So i don't have any money to buy stuff for childminding or even do the starting up costs.

I was wondering what you did when your were starting up?
Also i was thinking of getting a loan to help start up but don't know if is a good idea, what do you think?

Sorry if this is too personal for you but need some help and advice.

boxtree7
03-12-2011, 07:52 PM
I got a start up grant I can't remember how much - I also used my daughters toys. Charity shops are good for lots of bits. Check to see if your local children's centre has a toy library I always use ours they have equipment that I could never afford. Your equipment will build up over time.

child_friendly
03-12-2011, 07:57 PM
They don't do a start up grant anymore, yea i have been looking in charity shops and will use by sons toys and equipment. I am looking for a double buggy, car seats etc so mainly the big stuff. Thanx tho x

boxtree7
03-12-2011, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't rush into buying anything ...... you can always use parents buggy etc till you get set up and a wage coming in. You will need some money for your certificate, Insurance and training etc. You will be surprised how much you don't need but think you do. Good luck !!

miffy
03-12-2011, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't take out a loan to buy equipment - until you get some mindees you don't know exactly what you will need depending on how old they are. Also it may take a while to get some work so you might have a loan to repay but no money coming in.

Either ask parents to provide their own buggy or travel cot or contact your development officer and see if there are any loan schemes in your area. Our local childminding group has equipment that we loan out to members for short term use.

Miffy xx

Jiorjiina
04-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Don't buy anything big until you know the ages of the children you're going to be minding.

You could spend a fortune on a buggy and car seats, only to end up minding after school children who don't need any of it.

Toy libraries are great, and you can do lots of activities without having to buy a lot of extra stuff (like baking, colouring in, bubbles etc).

cade29
06-12-2011, 01:27 PM
I have just registered at the end of october and have no mindees yet.:eek: I didnt get a start up grants and was the same as you finacially as i had to finish work due to childcare issues.
Most of my resources i have getting from freegle or freecycle, have a look for them in your area, everything is free all you need to do is collect.

JMcG
12-12-2011, 01:45 PM
keep an eye out on Netmums too - they have a notice board where people give away free stuff. Dont buy anything in anticipation of having mindees, wait until you have contracts signed and then think about what the essentials are.

I also have a childminders group in the local area that loan items for a really small fee, check to see if you do.

Good luck hun!