PDA

View Full Version : help

emmy-lou
17-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Hi all

I am little unsure of what to so, I have made my mind up to become a childminder, I am waiting for a call back from my local children's services, which I will probably call them again on monday.

My partner and I have made lists on what we think we should do within the house to bring it up to standard as it was brought as a renovation project, as well as the garden too and we are prepared to put the money in the house right away rather than to do it bit by bit.

I am still looking around for idea's and looking through the forums and threads and you are all giving out such wonderful information and advice, my main concern now is finding work when (I say that with all fingers and toes crossed) I become a childminder, I have been looking through the sure start website and found a link to see the childminders in my town and there are over 30 off them, now I know its only 30 but do you think thats quite alot, they all seem to collect from the same schools and nurserys etc some offer holiday cover and some don't I haven't found many that cater for special needs, which as a mother of a child with special needs I would like to get training for as I assume that just because I have experience when looking after someone elses child I would need a qualification for.

So can anyone advise whether it would be worth my while for the moment(as it is something I want to do) brining my house upto standard, paying fee's etc to find out that 6 months down the line I have no work as there are too many childminders within the town????

Does anyone know if grants are available in Northamptonshire (thats where I am)

Or know the area to beable to give some advise

I look forward to hearing from you all

sarah707
17-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Hello and welcome!

Most of your questions are local to your area and your CIS will be able to answer them - I'd make a list then you'll not forget anything when you talk to them on Monday!

Registering and getting CRB checks back can take a while, which gives you lots of time to get on with the house...

Good luck! :D

miffy
17-05-2008, 07:21 PM
I agree with Sarah - CIS should be able to advise you and you could always ring a few of the childminders on the list too

miffy xx

Blaze
17-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Your best bet re grants/special needs/ training etc would be to speak to your local CIS. As far as demand goes it's difficult to tell...when I started up there were over 60 CMs & several nursaries/pre-schools etc & while demand comes in fits & starts I've always been as full as I want to be...but i know others that have struggled! Being self employed is always a risk, so I would simply recommend that you have a back up nest egg while you set up. Another thing to bear in mind is that a lot of CM's are leaving around September because of EYFS, so this may increase demand in your favour!

Good luck for the future!:)

emmy-lou
17-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Thank you, I am eagar to get started and the information on the site has been very helpfult o say the least but what are EYFS??? and why are so many childminders leaving???

miffy
17-05-2008, 07:37 PM
EYFS is Early Years Foundation Stage which comes into force on 1 September 2008 - it will be a legal requirement for childminders to observe and plan for children's individual needs and development.

There are lots of changes and some childminders will leave because they don't want to have to do this

miffy xx

emmy-lou
17-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Thank you, I may be coming in at a good time then???

miffy
17-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Thank you, I may be coming in at a good time then???

Yes you may and you won't know anything except EYFS so it will probably be easier for you :)

miffy xx

emmy-lou
19-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Hi

Just thought that I would update you all as I was slightly confused at the end of last week.

My local CIS phoned me back today and I have to go to an information meeting on the 28th June.

Can anyone tell me what will happen there should I take anything???

sarah707
19-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi

Just thought that I would update you all as I was slightly confused at the end of last week.

My local CIS phoned me back today and I have to go to an information meeting on the 28th June.

Can anyone tell me what will happen there should I take anything???

You shouldn't need anything really - they will just give you an overview of the process you need to go through to become a childminder and ideas for how long it will take in your area :D

Mrs M
19-05-2008, 01:24 PM
The meeting will just be explaining a bit to you about becoming a childminder and by the end of it you'll have a fair idea of whether this is the road you want to go down. Just take pen and pad. They'll then put you on an ICP course (mine was 12 weeks, expect that's the norm). You'll learn a lot of what you'll need to know about being a childminder on that course, including how to write policies etc. You'll also be required to do a 12 hour First Aid course. Once your ICP is over, Ofsted will contact you and come to inspect your house and you'll hopefully receive your certificate.
I must admit, I've learned more on this site than I did on any courses! This site is great.
With regards to getting clients, I have struggled. However, most childminders have told me that business is usually slow at first and once you get your name known, enquiries will come in. I've had a few enquiries now, have my first permanent contract starting in September and am currently working on temporary contracts.
Good luck with everything. Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.
Emma x

angeldelight
19-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Good advice from everyone

Just wanted to say good luck

Angel xx

karenjoy
19-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Good Luck xx

Just to let you know my ICP course has been 3 sessions x

emmy-lou
19-05-2008, 03:59 PM
So does the course take 12 weeks, or will it take 12 weeks to get on the course?? :idea:

I dont mind the wait it just means that we can get the house ready so the longer the better :)

Can you do the other bits in between like the first aid course and CRB checks or does it not matter??

sorry for the questions