PDA

View Full Version : eyfs and observations

It's a small world
25-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Is anyone else really struggling with their obs?

I have my file which outlines all the areas and the age developmetns etc but still cant make head nor tail of it. Keep putting off doing my LJ's and getting so behind. All pics in etc just the write ups.

LO does something. I observe etc then get file out and cant decide which are it comes under. Finally decide then look at headings under that area and ages etc and cant find anything to match or cover this ob.:panic:

Is there an easier way or easier file/website that may help.!!!!:blush: Please tell me Im not the only one?

Activities/crafts/play etc fine with. Obs and paper work etc nightmare and driving me mad as like to be orgainsed and this part of my job is far from organised.

New Years resloution...do not put off paper work..

Thanks for any replies xx

Andrea08
25-11-2011, 01:41 PM
hi hun do you have a co-ordinator or development worker who you could ask for a visit and help?

i know how you feel it is difficult and too hard to put in one msg
sarah 707 has e-books in all areas of EYFS and im sure she has one on this subject and to have it in print is easier to follow

if you have the EYFS CD i would print off the learning goals for the age of your child and link the obs to the aspects as you go, make sure he / she is in his own age group and not below it needing additional support etc

i use highlighter pens too

dont forget your obs need a next steps thats the planning you will do to help child A move onto the the next learning goal..

it took me ages to get use to it and i still find it hard sometimes

good luck more help will come too from the forum xxx

moggy
25-11-2011, 01:51 PM
I always try to keep it simple- you have an obs, say '11mth old is pulling herself to her feet and standing at the sofa for the first time'. I'd put that under Physical Dev... it could be PSED in terms of self-confidence and self-esteem if she was looking very proud of herself and most obs could be put under several areas- I just pick the 1 or 2 that are most obvious.
There is no need to try to find a sub-section for that, just mark it 'PD'.

Then when you want to do a 'progress review' and 'next steps', every few weeks or months, you look through all your obs and look at the EYFS book. You can check the obs against the EYFS age ranges to see if it is generally within 'normal' development ranges, check that the child is not well behind the stage that you would expect. The obs about standing at the sofa may make you think about providing soft play opportunities or a push-along trolley so she can practice that early standing/walking/pulling-up, so note that for your 'next steps' and planning. There may be a similar development obs written in the EYFS book too but that is just a guide, it is not expected to cover everything a child does. It may help if you look at the age range the child is in, or soon to be, in the EYFS book, across all areas, to be inspired about what comes next in their development.

I think it all looks really complicated until you find a simple method that works for you and the fact that obs overlap many areas just makes it more confusing, but if you just concentrate on one main area per obs it is easier. Everyone has their own way, though so I am sure someone else will have another method!

Do you have a local support minder or know other minders who can show you their methods?

guest3
25-11-2011, 02:00 PM
You're not the only One!!
I'm struggling too! I've found so many different forms that people on this forum use to observe and plan but I can't decide which one to use! :eek:

I only have 1 LO before and after school at the minute but he's in reception so still within the EYFS. I don't know if I'm doing enough for him as he's only with me 2 days a week and is in full time school. I've asked school what they're doing and they've given me a copy of their planning sheet but I don't know how to use the information :panic:

I've started with an "All about Me" book and then done a kind of "snapshot" of what we've done including photos and a brief description of what they show. At the back I've put the "development matters" sheets. I've tried to link what we've done to the EYFS but haven't really managed to plan any next steps!

Am I doing enough??

It's a small world
25-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks everyone for advice.. thinking im stressing for nothing. Struggling with lots at the moment as alot has happened in my personal life over the last few months too so trying to get into a routine. Took your advice on board... xx

rosebud
25-11-2011, 06:27 PM
I write my (brief) observations on the child's daily diary sheet and ask parents to return them to me. I include the next steps (which are VERY simple) and leave space for parents comments. When parents return them I scribble the areas of learning it covers (usually more than one) at the top of the sheet and pop it into the learning journey. Job done!

The only other things I put in are pieces of artwork (with obs written on back) and lots of photographs. I can do most of it during my working hours.