PDA

View Full Version : School children

nessynoodle
22-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Hi all

Could someone please clear this up for me!!

When do we stop doing learning journeys for the children? Is it when the turn 5, or 6 or when they start full time school??

I have 3 after schoolers (4, 4, 5) and didn't think I had to do a full learning journey as they are in full time school, and so just do daily diaries and share developmental acheivements etc. I'm now panicking that we do still have to and what am I going to do if thats the case?! Just start them now? What if Ofsted (god forbid) were to come and ask to see them and they didn't date back to when the children started. I don't really know how I got so confused, I think because when they go to school they are seen as over 5 for the sake of ratios etc and you only have them for a couple of hours. I realise the benefits of observing them still and I do but I just don't track it as strictly as the younger ones, I don't know how I'll find the time!!

Help :(

rickysmiths
22-11-2011, 09:46 AM
You have to carry on with EYFS until the 31 August following the child's 5th Birthday. This is normal the August after they finish in Reception in the July.

Yes for the 3 you have you need to do a full LJ but it will be much less than a full time EYFS lo because you have them less hours.

I have a scrap book for mine and do it very much in a diary format using photos and noting activities we have done and things they have enjoyed. I use the NCMA EYFS stickers to indicate the area of learning ( I put a key in the front of the scrap book for my parents). I have the Development sheets and highlight and date the areas I see them reach. I don't tend to do next steps for them or lots of obs. In fact obs tend to be done afterwards if there is a good photo for example.

I sometimes extend a theme they have been following at school if the children want to. Or I just follow their interests and themes I have planned.

I get the parents to fill out an All About Me Sheet which I stick into the book before I start adding to it.

nessynoodle
22-11-2011, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=rickysmiths;1014150]You have to carry on with EYFS until the 31 August following the child's 5th Birthday. This is normal the August after they finish in Reception in the July.

Yes for the 3 you have you need to do a full LJ but it will be much less than a full time EYFS lo because you have them less hours.
QUOTE]

Thanks, as I suspected! I am not due an inspection for another 2 years so I think I will just have to make sure I do it from now on!

sarah707
22-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Look back on photos you have taken over the last few months - they should fill in a lot of the gaps.

I wouldn't go back writing lots though just show in your SEF how you have reflected on your practice and changed things :D

Jo73
19-12-2011, 09:45 PM
hi, I do a LJ for school children in reception year. I do think it's wrong when they are in full time education with a qualified teacher though, but we have to follow the rules.