PDA

View Full Version : Own child really misbehaving in front of mindees

wonderwoman80
20-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Please help! I have three year old, very energentic little boy. I have been a teaching assistant for the past 13 years so have lots of experience in working with children.

I have recently become registered as a childminder at have two part time children (6 and 8) and starting as of next week with a 5 month old baby. However, am beginning to debate if I have made the right decision, as my little boy is so naughty when the parents drop off or pick up, screams and cries and does anything for attention. I am hoping he will get used to the idea and of next week am introducing a sticker chart.

Anyone else had or have similar problems?

danasdaycare
20-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Yes!! Even pushing in front of parents, my little madam :mad:

Anyway it does not last forever and eases, though there will be the odd days where lo states she does not want x, y & z. lol

I have tried a few things, stickers work quite well. Also you and son time. So if he is put out, then say pls let mummy change nappy and then we will read your favourite book/play game and so on.

I think it is just that feeling of exclusion/not as much mummy only time.

Good luck

P.S Had my lo birthday party today and she was so affectionate to that girl who 3 months ago was a major source of jealousy! :clapping:

Louise317
20-11-2011, 08:56 PM
I have this with my two kids too... my DD is nearly 3 and started playing up wanting me constantly, screeching for me to take her toilet everytime (after we mastered it!)... and at home time both DD & DS(5) barge past me to get out front door and start running around the square... bit embarrassing when I can't control my own :blush:

I try to close the stair gate and shut them in the lounge if I can. I've explained to parents that it's an attention thing and showing off for DS as it's still fairly new to us all.

This week I'm started anew chart for DD for toilet and good behaviour... last two weeks were a little all over so hoping getting back to structure again this week will help and for me to stick to a 'No' rather then giving in for a quiet life :blush:

I'm sure it'll get easier for us... I hope :)

Maza
20-11-2011, 10:37 PM
DD used to be terrible at pick up and drop off times. I felt better when I explained to parents that it was attention seeking and showing off and that she honestly wasn't like that all day. She is so much better now. I gave her a 'pep talk' and explained exactly why I needed to speak to the parents at these times and before each pick up/drop off I reminded her nicely of her 'role' and gave her a sticker if she stuck to the rules during each drop off/pick up. Sometimes I would get something 'new' out to distract her just as the mindee walked in, such as a treasure basket or a tray of dry pasta and some scoops and containers. Another strategy I use is to give DD a 'very important job' to do, such as bringing mindee's cuo, or the pen for the register, mindee's favourite toy etc. If your child is well behaved (even for a moment)during drop off then praise him immediately and publicly for waiting/playing nicely etc.

*daisychain*
20-11-2011, 11:08 PM
I am having the same problem with my LO who is 17 months so I can't reason with him so to speak. I always think the parents go home thinking he is like that all day when he isn't. The longer mum stays the worse he gets, I try to get her to drop off at the door but as you know there are times when we need to talk, pretty hard with my boy being crazy!
I have only been minding a few months so I'm just hopeing it gets better :)

FussyElmo
21-11-2011, 06:52 AM
It doesnt get better as they get older - my 12 yo likes to give her opinion on what has happened during the day :D

sarah707
21-11-2011, 08:16 AM
I found a mixture of bribery and threats used to work most of the time.

That or lock 'em in their rooms :laughing: :littleangel: :D

VeggieSausage
21-11-2011, 10:10 AM
yup my little angel has been a total pain in the neck at times - quite embarressing sometimes eh!.....:)

RunDMC
21-11-2011, 12:41 PM
I know I will have this problem when I become registered as my little angle is 5 and doesn't like to share me with anyone. Thank you for the tips. I will have to invest in pasta and stickers by the looks of things.:)

jojobell
22-11-2011, 08:07 AM
lol YES, my 5 year old told a couple of presertive parents who visited an eve last week............ "i think its time you went home now, dont you?" i was horrified!!!! luckliy they laughed it off and signed up!!!

wonderwoman80
22-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Made me feel so much better that others are experiencing excatly the same behaviour. Thanks for all the tips.

mum2two
22-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Same here! Every night it's one of mine... 9 yr old decides she needs to interupt & tell me something really important.... :rolleyes: - Then strops!!

If not DS who's 6 will be running around, jumping on sofa, screeching etc (basically everything he knows he's not allowed to do!)

Or - DD who's just 2, clinging at my legs, saying she needs a wee wee, juice etc - then saying 'No' when I say 'come on then...'

We all have it! It's our own children displaying their 'Hey - I live here' status....

xx

jane5
22-11-2011, 03:33 PM
It doesnt get better as they get older - my 12 yo likes to give her opinion on what has happened during the day :D

:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

oh dear, give me a 3 year olds tantrum any day ;)

gigglinggoblin
22-11-2011, 05:15 PM
A couple of weeks ago I could tell my 12yo was desperate to say something to mindees mum so I let him, to my horror he told her about standing on a drawing pin in our hall the night before and getting it stuck in his foot so I had to pull it out. Its really not the sort of thing a relatively new parent of a crawling baby wants to hear! I am pretty sure he brought it in with him because I cant remember the last time we used a drawing pin so its not even like it was my fault, it just makes it sounds like my house is a death trap!