PDA

View Full Version : help fridge possibly dying!

mushpea
20-11-2011, 01:06 PM
this is probably a daft question but how do you know if your fridge has stopped working properly!
we have had it for several years now and I have a thermometer in there which states its at 7 degrees so not cold enough i thought i was because the thermometer is also cold so bought a new one in which the little pointer has to be in the green for it to be cold enough but again its not yet the fridge is up full wack and it feels cold so how do I know for sure if its died or not???

Babycat
20-11-2011, 01:31 PM
In honesty my fridge is all over the shop too. It goes up to 10 degrees on 2 thermometers but back down to 7 when I play with the temp. Its currently at 7 now too. Ive been so stressed with it and tehre are lots of things that effect the temp. Like where you take the reading as different shelves are cooler and the back is cooler. It also depends on if its being left open at all? or how the temperature is in the surrounding room. I got all this from google so not 100% sure. My parnter just thinks that all our food is cold, doesnt go off and when I turn the temp to the coldest setting theres ice forming on the back so we shouldnt be worried? of course my daily RA's I made have a am and pm fridge/freezer check so ive just been ticking instead of putting temp as still trying to sort it out! ARGH :(

teacake2
20-11-2011, 01:35 PM
It must be something that is catching at the moment, but it is my freezer that has a life of its own at the minute. The warning light keeps coming on that is supposed to indicate that it is not at the right temperature, then after about 24hrs it goes off again, but then if you walk past it, it comes on again. All the food is still frozen and looks okay so I don't know what to do with it. It is about 7 years old so I suppose it is trying to tell me to get a new one:eek: :eek:
Teacake2

Chimps Childminding
20-11-2011, 04:02 PM
My fridge broke down just before we went on holiday a few years ago! Had a guy out to fix it and we are convinced he put a freezer thermostat on it - I have about 6 inches of ice on the back even when it is on its lowest setting! At least I know its cold enough :rolleyes: problem is I loose half the shelf space with ice :eek:

sillysausage
20-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Fridges...can't live without them. Mine freezes the veg that are sat in the salad tray, so I've ended up lining one tray with bubblewrap to stop my cucumber & lettuce from going funny. The external thermostat control is set at 6C, the fridge thermometer I bought for inside the fridge measures 2 to 4C. I have to leave carrots out for 10 mins before peeling them :rolleyes:

Chimps Childminding
20-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Fridges...can't live without them. Mine freezes the veg that are sat in the salad tray, so I've ended up lining one tray with bubblewrap to stop my cucumber & lettuce from going funny. The external thermostat control is set at 6C, the fridge thermometer I bought for inside the fridge measures 2 to 4C. I have to leave carrots out for 10 mins before peeling them :rolleyes:

Might have to try the bubble wrap idea!!! If I defrost my fridge when I put it back on it freezes anything near the back, ie cucumber :angry: Once its got lots of ice on the back it doesn't freeze anything :rolleyes: wierd or what??