PDA

View Full Version : More questions!

jw19nr
16-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Hello firstly, just wanted to share that I today have found out I have passed my ICP exam (which was weird as I had a dream last night that I failed!) and also got mu CRB back from ofsted so they have obviously recieved my application!

Lots of questions I am afraid:

- In my kitchen, I have some shelves, the first being about 5ft off the ground. They have food one, Jars, tins, bottles etc. Will this be allowed with ofsted? Of will it be a safety issue?

- Will Shampoo etc on the windowsil be ok in the bathroom?

- I have moved the bathroom cleaning bits up on top of the bathroom cabinets (one above loo and one above sink). Will this be good/safe enough?

- Do i need locks on ALL of my cupboards and draws?

- What can I do with my cat litter trays to keep them safe?

- How long till ofsted contact me about the inspection now that they have sent my crb back?

- Will they look in all my cupboards and stuff?

- Do I need to have done all my paperwork etc before they come?

- What am I expected to do with my Daughter while they are here? She is 5 months. Will I be expected to keep her with me so they can see what I am like with her? Or will they expect me to have somebody else to look after her? I don't really mind, but she is quite a wingy baby, and I don't want me to look like I am ignoring her if somebody else has got her and she is crying, but at the same time, i want to be able to concentrate on what I am saying to the inspector?

mrsb
16-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Hello firstly, just wanted to share that I today have found out I have passed my ICP exam (which was weird as I had a dream last night that I failed!) and also got mu CRB back from ofsted so they have obviously recieved my application!

Lots of questions I am afraid:

- In my kitchen, I have some shelves, the first being about 5ft off the ground. They have food one, Jars, tins, bottles etc. Will this be allowed with ofsted? Of will it be a safety issue? probably a safety issue unfortunately as the lo's could pull them down maybe.

- Will Shampoo etc on the windowsil be ok in the bathroom? as long as it isn't prescription shampoo etc it's fine :)

- I have moved the bathroom cleaning bits up on top of the bathroom cabinets (one above loo and one above sink). Will this be good/safe enough? I was told this isn't acceptable because they could climb up on the loo etc to reach it:rolleyes:

- Do i need locks on ALL of my cupboards and draws? only if they have something in that could hurt children. I only have locks on my cutlery drawer and the cupboard with the cleaning bits in , the only other ones they can reach are food and plates etc

- What can I do with my cat litter trays to keep them safe? they have to be out of site/reach of the children I think

- How long till ofsted contact me about the inspection now that they have sent my crb back? sorry not sure

- Will they look in all my cupboards and stuff? they'll check there are locks on the correct ones but they shouldn't go rooting through things lol

- Do I need to have done all my paperwork etc before they come? it would show good practise to show you are doing paperwork, if you are having enquiries you will need all policies etc done ready anyway :)

- What am I expected to do with my Daughter while they are here? She is 5 months. Will I be expected to keep her with me so they can see what I am like with her? Or will they expect me to have somebody else to look after her? I don't really mind, but she is quite a wingy baby, and I don't want me to look like I am ignoring her if somebody else has got her and she is crying, but at the same time, i want to be able to concentrate on what I am saying to the inspector? do with her what you would normally do if you had people round, if she is crying or needs changing etc then tell them you need to do it ;)

I've given my opinions in red :) above all, TRY not to worry :)

jw19nr
16-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Oh dear, I dont know how I am going to get everything ready! I dont know what else to do with all the stuff on those shelves, as I hardly have any storage space (rented house). Would I be able to put anything else on there? They are big so I would be left with 2 huge empty shelves!

Same with my bathroom cleaning stuff!

miffy
16-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Just wanted to wish you good luck

miffy xx

sarah707
16-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Great answers there from mrsb.. a couple of points...

I would move shampoo out of sight and reach... and toothpaste - it's a poison!

Nobody knows how long it will take except Ofsted - depends on your area... your local CIS might be able to give you a general idea though.

Good luck - I hope it happens soon for you :D

camelia
17-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Hi

I sent my application forms off and was contacted that week for an inspection on the Monday the following week........

PANIC!!! We had a really busy weekend but the inspection went really well and passed with no actions - yippee!!!!

I think inspections are quicker at the moment due to the change in birth to three and foundation stage to the EYFS because all inspections have ceased at present which has freed up time to do other things!! Like our pre-Inspections.

I kept my 9 month old daughter with me and the inspector worked around us - I did get a lovely inspector though.

I am just waiting on my registration to come back it seems to be the CRB that takes the time

Good Luck

sarah707
17-05-2008, 06:43 PM
It sounds like you had a really positive experience there Camelia!

I hope the rest of your application goes smoothly :D

camelia
17-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks Sarah

Yes my inspection was a positive experience but I think I had a human inspector!!!

I know some inspectors can be quite a different story!

Good luck to all going through the process!!!

Cazz
18-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Just wanted to say good luck with everything!

It sounds like I am at a similar stage to you - I am on my ICP course at the moment and dh has a week off work from tomorrow so we are going to be busy getting jobs in the house and garden done ready for the pre-reg. My forms will then posted off.

I also have a 5 month dd and was wondering whether she should be there for the pre-reg as well. She is normally very content (although she is teething at mo so a bit unpredictable) but I have decided to wait and see what time my pre-reg appointment is and then decide as I will have an idea how much attention she will need i.e. if it is likely to be over a feeding time or nap time.

Let us know how the pre-reg goes.

Carole xx

jw19nr
18-05-2008, 10:50 PM
I think I am going to try and get my mum or husband to be here (depending on day/time) to help look after her, but still be in the house. They can then maybe take her out for a walk if being grumpy, but I can feed her if she gets hungry (breastfeeding so nobody else can do it).

Really worried about having my house ready on time!!

Cazz
18-05-2008, 11:16 PM
I think I am going to try and get my mum or husband to be here (depending on day/time) to help look after her, but still be in the house. They can then maybe take her out for a walk if being grumpy, but I can feed her if she gets hungry (breastfeeding so nobody else can do it).

Really worried about having my house ready on time!!

More difficult with breastfeeding - my dd is bottle fed so I could get my mum to have her at her house if necessary, she's so smiley though I wonder if she may melt the heart of the Ofsted inspector so that I do well! If not she could do her 'party trick' which is saying to her " Megan dance" and she rocks from side to side with a big grin on her face - so cute! Unfortunately I don't think even she will do me any favours when it comes to Ofsted inspectors!

Try not to worry about getting the house ready (says she who will probably have several 'heated discussions' with dh during the course of this week!) as from what I gather on here, they don't expect everything to be perfect as long as it's safe and they will give you a list of anything you need to do by the first proper inspection.

Think I better go to bed now ready for those jobs tomorrow :panic:

Carole xx