PDA

View Full Version : 3 under threes??

nikkiross1
17-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Hi there,

I have been qualified about a month, i have a before school child and after school child at the moment.

I have in the past two days just had two enquiries from parents.
one for a 4 month old baby who needs 4 full days a week
and one for a 2.5 yr old girl who needs three days a week

i have my own 19 month old.

my conditions say that i can care for no more than 5 children under 8, of these not more than 2 may be in the early years group (becuase i already have my 19 month old)

so i can legally do it, but its really scared me!! i will have to buy a double pushchair but will i need a special one that can completley lie down for the 4 month old and that has a sit up chair too for my 19 month old? if so can anyone recommend one of these?
in jan i will also be having a 5, 6 and 9 yr old after school so at times i will have 6 children!!

jeez!!! xx

Goatgirl
17-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Hi,
Bless, it is daunting coming all at once like that, especially at the beginning!

When I first started out I'd have felt totally out of depth with those ages all at once, too. Things do change though and yesterday it felt really 'quiet' here with 2 under 2's and 4 schoolies! I think the secret is to get to know the children really well as individuals: invest in lots of settling in sessions, individually and together, to see how they rub along, how their routines align etc. Then you need to have a really good think about how you will handle safety in all scenarios and busy times, such as preparing food and bottle feeds, meal and snack times, taking someone to the loo, getting them all nappy changed/toileted and into outdoor clothes and the buggy for outings etc.
I'd also build a definite settling in period into each contract in case that particular combination of children really is 'too much too soon' to handle. That way you can be confident you have your get out clause if things get stressful and also so that you have plenty of time to make adjustments and get to know the best ways to deal with the children and various circumstances as you go along :thumbsup:
I have gone from being a nervous new childminder 3 years ago, with 2 after schoolies, to a confident busy one and will (variation application notwithstanding!) be caring for 2 under ones and 2 x 18 month olds as well as up to 6 school aged children :eek: for 2 days a week from January. Only 3 of the 4 the other three days :D.

Babies are both younger siblings so must be doing something right. It can be done - give it a go :thumbsup:

Hope things work out for you :)

best wishes,
Wendy :)

As for the buggy: they do exist :). Maybe ask about the best one in a separate thread to get some recommendations. You may get a bargain on ebay :thumbsup:

~Grasshopper~
17-11-2011, 09:25 PM
hiya.

i have 3 under 2's most days and its fine. i am a pram addict and most double will suit your needs, my latest is great though and fits a buggy board. it was £169 from babiesrus, its a my child sienta tandem and its umbrella fold and the smallest tandem ive found.

i also have a nipper 360 side by side which is fab to push but not very practical getting through doors ect, i sold my phil and teds as i wouldnt hold a buggyboard but i prefer the mychild tandem to be honest.

good luck - my son is 19mths and he loves having loads of friends round to play all day.
xx

nikkiross1
18-11-2011, 08:22 AM
thanks for your replies ladies!

I can't stop thinking about it and i'm not sure i really feel comfortable with a 4 month old. I prefer children when they're a bit older like the 2.5 yr old girl so they can talk and play etc and i think i may feel out of my comfort zone with a 4 monht old, oh god i just dont know what to do! the lady is coming today with the 4 month old and needs childcare form 1st dec (when i no i hav a hosp app) and i have plans between xmas and new yr as all the children i look after are school childre. I guess i'll just have to meet the lady and see how it goes and see how the child is. It could be that the baby sleeps all day and is really well behaved which will be easy, but if the baby is anything like my one was then i don't know how i'd cope! its also a lot of responsibilty looking after such a young baby! I feel like i'm getting my self really worked u about it! thanks for the advice on the bugggy :-)

onceinabluemoon
18-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Whichever buggy you choose be sure to do a bit of research on it before you spend out your hard earned dosh! to find reviews all you need to do is write "pushchair name, reviews" into google and some should come up.

Does the 2.5 year old walk well or are you planning on putting the baby in a sling?

VeggieSausage
18-11-2011, 08:00 PM
is the 4 month old to start straight away or will it be for when mum is finished her maternity leave?

desiderata
18-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Im sure you will be fine with the children once you get into a routinex As for puschairs I have had many many of them and at the moment I believe I have the best double (as we all do) so dont shoot me those who dont agree. I have a 4 month old at the moment along with an 14 month old and a 2.1/2 year old. I have a Baby Jogger Elite and it goes completely flat for the baby and is big enough to hold the older ones. I had a 5 year old in it the other day when she wasnt very well. . It also goes through my front door up ! it is a bit bulky and heavy folded but is a dream to push and I can push it one handed.It comes with lots of storage and peep holes . Its an amazing pushchair.x Good luck x

nikkiross1
19-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Im sure you will be fine with the children once you get into a routinex As for puschairs I have had many many of them and at the moment I believe I have the best double (as we all do) so dont shoot me those who dont agree. I have a 4 month old at the moment along with an 14 month old and a 2.1/2 year old. I have a Baby Jogger Elite and it goes completely flat for the baby and is big enough to hold the older ones. I had a 5 year old in it the other day when she wasnt very well. . It also goes through my front door up ! it is a bit bulky and heavy folded but is a dream to push and I can push it one handed.It comes with lots of storage and peep holes . Its an amazing pushchair.x Good luck x

hi there, thanks so much for this, it's almost the same situation with me - is this a double pushchair that is side by side or are they one in front of another? thanks

and yes the 4 month old is to start right away on 1st decemeber! eek!! x

babs
19-11-2011, 11:21 AM
I had 2 4 month olds within 3 weeks of starting up were on different days but then one mum went full time tbh I found it much easier when I had both together 3 days a week, as they have grown together since.. so in end I had 2 3 year olds and the 2 babies so4 under 5 . Im sure you will cope very well but I do understand how you feel can be so daunting ..x

Bear23
19-11-2011, 11:25 AM
I remeber feeling like this, i was also petrified when my first 4 month baby started but she's now three and i survived it.

I currently have a 8 month old, two 2 year olds, and a three year old. i have a variation for two days a week, just waiting for a full variation, i must admit altho i do love having more, it is difficult in the walking anywhere far

jojobell
22-11-2011, 11:04 AM
i no how you feel,, i look after a 14 month a 16 month and 18 month and a 13 month (lol they dont all come at once- obvoiusly) i also have my own 5 year old son............. when i got my enquires i painked lol

samb
22-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Just wanted to tell you about my buggy... I loved the look of the baby jogger elite but out of my price range. I ended up buying (3 months old off ebay) Hauck duett - it is a pushchair that you can convert into pram by moving a few clips etc on the main pushchair - you can turn the top seat to face you or face away. Then you can put the bottom seat under with just a click and a pull - very easy. The top can be used as a pram with the bottom as a seat which also reclines. You can adjust the handle so that if you have the extra seat on and feel it sticks out too much you can just pull the handle out a bit more. I paid £150 for mine delivered with the rain cover too - the bottom seat was never used. It has been great to replace my single and double.

http://www.hauckuk.com/en/hauck/double-buggies/duett.html

nikkiross1
24-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Just wanted to tell you about my buggy... I loved the look of the baby jogger elite but out of my price range. I ended up buying (3 months old off ebay) Hauck duett - it is a pushchair that you can convert into pram by moving a few clips etc on the main pushchair - you can turn the top seat to face you or face away. Then you can put the bottom seat under with just a click and a pull - very easy. The top can be used as a pram with the bottom as a seat which also reclines. You can adjust the handle so that if you have the extra seat on and feel it sticks out too much you can just pull the handle out a bit more. I paid £150 for mine delivered with the rain cover too - the bottom seat was never used. It has been great to replace my single and double.

http://www.hauckuk.com/en/hauck/double-buggies/duett.html

thanks samb i'll look into it :)