PDA

View Full Version : What should I charge? Help needed please

guest3
16-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Hi,

I look after a little boy Tuesday and Wednesday before and after school and charge £15 per day for this. My full daily rate is £35.

My query is that Mum emailed me to ask would I have him just the Tuesday the week before Christmas (school finishes Monday) and assumes she'll just add the full daily rate to her 2 previous weeks pay IYSWIM!

I'm just unsure whether I should charge her for the Wednesday and if so, how much.
Any help much appreciated ;) I'm having a contract review at Christmas with this parent and feel I need to be much more specific as to my rates if they need me in holidays!

Goatgirl
16-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Hi :),
How have you told them you'll charge and what does the contract say about holidays?
I charge differently for term time weeks and holiday weeks.

Year round contracts pay the holiday hours whether they use them or not, unless I am off sick or on holiday myself. They are booking the space so we establish which days/hours they will need and that's what i charge for.

Term time only contracts take a chance on whether I can fit their child in during holidays and pay for hours used on booking (separately to usual payment). I don't charge a retainer for the usual after school hours in holidays....

candy cat
16-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Does she need you on the Wednesday? is her contract termtime only? It would be a full day fee.

rosebud
16-11-2011, 01:04 PM
As above, if her contract is termtime only then you don't charge for the wednesday as it is not a contracted day. If its a year round contract then you charge - If she is contracted for wednesday in the holidays then you charge whatever was agreed on the contract.

guest3
16-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Hi :),
How have you told them you'll charge and what does the contract say about holidays?
I charge differently for term time weeks and holiday weeks.

Year round contracts pay the holiday hours whether they use them or not, unless I am off sick or on holiday myself. They are booking the space so we establish which days/hours they will need and that's what i charge for.

Term time only contracts take a chance on whether I can fit their child in during holidays and pay for hours used on booking (separately to usual payment). I don't charge a retainer for the usual after school hours in holidays....

Thanks for your reply. I've looked at my contract and TBH I left it a bit ambiguous I think. I've only ever taken on full timers before which were straight forward so found this a bit awkward. I think I'll have to draw up a better contract next month when we review. How do you word the contract for term time only but possible holiday cover? :(

guest3
16-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Does she need you on the Wednesday? is her contract termtime only? It would be a full day fee.

No she doesn't need me for the Wednesday :)

Goatgirl
16-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks for your reply. I've looked at my contract and TBH I left it a bit ambiguous I think. I've only ever taken on full timers before which were straight forward so found this a bit awkward. I think I'll have to draw up a better contract next month when we review. How do you word the contract for term time only but possible holiday cover? :(

For term time only I just put the term time hours etc on the contract and then, in the 'notes' section, add that the contract IS term time only and holidays, if available, will be charged according to my ad hoc holiday procedure. : you could write your own policy for how you want to do this then. If you want to, add the rate you will charge...

if they want holidays to be available regardless, they have to pay for them regardless, because otherwise I could sell the spaces to other families. In which case, I just put that it is a year round contract and what the contracted hours are that we've agreed for holidays, in the 'notes' area of the contract. Oh, and I specify what I regard as being the holidays. I do 2 schools whose holidays can differ!

Just word it how you want it to be. And don't beat yourself up - this is a live and learn job, I'm forever 'tweaking' things as I go along and problems arise that I couldn't ever have imagined at the beginning :D

Good luck,
Wendy :)

guest3
16-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks so much for your help Wendy. I know what you mean about living and learning....I've recently agreed to take 2 little ones on in the new year but 1 of the parents kept stalling signing contracts.

The writing was on the wall as she has since "texted" me to say she now doesn't need me after all as a nanny friend is going to look after the little girl. This after I've turned quite a few people away in the last couple of weeks too! :(

Oh well, note to self.....must sign contracts and get a deposit in future!!