PDA

View Full Version : NOTIFIABLE DISEASES

purple rain
16-05-2008, 11:36 AM
i have just had a phone call from one of the mindee parents to say her little girl has mumps!!!! i have rang ofsted and they said they will get back to me with what i should do!!

has anyone had any experiance with this?

can i still mind the other children?

arrggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:angry:

miffy
16-05-2008, 11:45 AM
When I had to notify Ofsted once about a child with mumps they weren't very interested at all so it will be interesting to see what they say now.

As far as I am aware you must exclude the child until they are no longer infectious but you can continue working. You will also need to let your other parents know that there has been a case of mumps if their child ren have been in contact with the other child and be on the lookout for any others coming down with it

Hope you don't get it

miffy xx

SimplyLucy
16-05-2008, 11:47 AM
I've just checked my little book of infectious illnesses (guidence for childminders) and it says the following for Mumps.

Mumps....*incubation period, 12-21 days (commonly 18)

*infectious period, from 7 days before onset of symptoms to subsidence of swelling.

*Min period of exclusion, Until swelling has subsided (5 days min)

*Exclusion of family contacts from setting, None.

So yes you can mind other children, just pass on the above details to all parents, so they all know.

purple rain
16-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks......

if you have a guidance book how come ofsted dont give all their telephonists one??? it would save a lot of time!!!

i have got another parent worried sick that she will have to find alternative care at such short notice, as she cant get time off.....Bless her i will let her know before she gets too stressed

i will post what ofsted say on hear later

once again thanks you lot are always here when i need help!!! i love this site:clapping:

SimplyLucy
16-05-2008, 12:03 PM
My guidence book is one I got given by the Devon childminding association, it's very useful and I give all parents a copy of the chart in the back, just so they know when their child can return etc.

purple rain
16-05-2008, 12:11 PM
Really?? i have never heard of this i will see if i can get hold of one, it seems an essential piece for childcarers!
thanks for that

crazybones
16-05-2008, 12:18 PM
I give my parents a copy of this

http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374

purple rain
16-05-2008, 12:21 PM
i have just downloaded this from a different post that you replied to, i need to get some ink for the printer. I think this is excellent to give to parents
:)

SimplyLucy
16-05-2008, 12:44 PM
http://www.devonca.org/Publictions.html

The book I use is avalible here.

jmoff
16-05-2008, 04:42 PM

me too!

Jx

purple rain
20-05-2008, 11:55 AM
hey ....

Ofsted got back to me the day after and said

" we have made a note on your file... please can you send us an email to confirm the name , age and d.o.b of the child with mumps. And exclude this child from your setting until 5 days after the swellings have subsided "

so that was easy enough. The mum wasnt happy! but never mind

thanks for the link for DCMA it has some great products on

cheers for all you help!!

sarah707
20-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Thank you for sharing that!

I bet the mum wasn't happy... 5 days from swelling going down is a long time!

Ah well, she'll just have to spend the time realising how hard you work :D

FizzysFriends
13-12-2008, 11:57 AM
I can't see a date on the HPA info, has this been updated or is it ok to use this copy? Can't find it on the HPA website.

childmind04
13-12-2008, 12:04 PM
that ones fine its the latest at the moment :)

FizzysFriends
13-12-2008, 12:07 PM
:thumbsup: Thank you

patevans
13-12-2008, 12:23 PM
I had a child with german measles last week, should I have informed Ofsted?

balloon
13-12-2008, 12:29 PM

I've just looked this up and it looks great, although I do already have a copy of the DCMA book this would be good to put in parent packs etc.

One thing I noticed though is that conjunctivitis says no exclusion necessary yet it's highly contagious!* I've just had a little one here with it and even his doc said he should be excluded for 48 hours after antibiotics commenced. The DCMA book says they should be excluded too. What have other people been told?

*Obviously a childminder would be very caeful with personal hygiene but what's to stop another child touching the face when your back is turned for a second...

miffy
13-12-2008, 04:54 PM
One thing I noticed though is that conjunctivitis says no exclusion necessary yet it's highly contagious!* I've just had a little one here with it and even his doc said he should be excluded for 48 hours after antibiotics commenced. The DCMA book says they should be excluded too. What have other people been told?

*Obviously a childminder would be very caeful with personal hygiene but what's to stop another child touching the face when your back is turned for a second...

I've always excluded children with conjunctivitis because it is spread so easily and can be really painful.

At the end of the day it's my business and it makes sense to me to exclude.

The subject has been discussed before on the forum though.

Miffy xx

balloon
13-12-2008, 06:07 PM
I've always excluded children with conjunctivitis because it is spread so easily and can be really painful.

At the end of the day it's my business and it makes sense to me to exclude.

The subject has been discussed before on the forum though.

Miffy xx

Sorry just re-read my post and it sounds as if I didn't exclude. I excluded him for 48 hours as per docs instructions. Totally agree with what you have said Miffy, just wondered why there were discrepencies in advice.

I didn't realise it had been discussed before, sorry about that.

childmind04
14-12-2008, 09:08 AM
the docs are as bad as ofsted i had a lo off monday and tuesday but because i said i would not have him with conjuntivitis, doc had told mum its not contagious after the first drop has been given :rolleyes:

sarah707
14-12-2008, 09:40 AM
the docs are as bad as ofsted i had a lo off monday and tuesday but because i said i would not have him with conjuntivitis, doc had told mum its not contagious after the first drop has been given :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter what doc says... it's about what is in your policy :panic:

sunflower
14-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Great thank you :D

chaotic_space
14-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Exactly! You decide what is acceptable to you in advance and give each parent a copy (and have them sign that they recieved it) of your sickness policy.

Take no notice of the disgruntled looks. You probably have all the smellies you can use at Christmas time anyway LOL

cbj1609
23-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Thank you for sharing that!

I bet the mum wasn't happy... 5 days from swelling going down is a long time!

Ah well, she'll just have to spend the time realising how hard you work :D

hi

i was just wondering as not had to do it before what happens when they have a notifiable disease. My daughter has whopping cough diagnosed today and I have to ring ofsted and inform them is this correct.

Thanks
Catherine

rickysmiths
23-11-2012, 10:13 PM
I've just looked this up and it looks great, although I do already have a copy of the DCMA book this would be good to put in parent packs etc.

The doctor is actually wrong as far a current practice is concerned. It usually clears up its self within 3-4 days and antibiotics should not be used nor drops or eye cream, until after this time, if it hasn't cleared up on its on which it will most often do. You are not supposed to exclude for it and I never have unless of course the child is so ill they can not take part in the normal day. I have never in 18 years ever has a problem with cross infection. You just have to be a bit more careful, no soft toys out, hand and bedding washing and cleaning the toys they child plays with

DickDock
23-11-2012, 10:20 PM
The doctor is actually wrong as far a current practice is concerned. It usually clears up its self within 3-4 days and antibiotics should not be used nor drops or eye cream, until after this time, if it hasn't cleared up on its on which it will most often do. You are not supposed to exclude for it and I never have unless of course the child is so ill they can not take part in the normal day. I have never in 18 years ever has a problem with cross infection. You just have to be a bit more careful, no soft toys out, hand and bedding washing and cleaning the toys they child plays with

I didn't think it was a case of 'not supposed to exclude' but because HPA guidance says no exclusionary period it would still come down to what the individual setting chooses to do. Youngest childrens schools don't insist on exclusion for pink eye yet secondary school do.
Personally I exclude -I don't want conjunctivitis thank you

rickysmiths
23-11-2012, 10:22 PM
hi

i was just wondering as not had to do it before what happens when they have a notifiable disease. My daughter has whopping cough diagnosed today and I have to ring ofsted and inform them is this correct.

Thanks
Catherine

Yes you need to tell Ofsted and you will need to close until she is no longer infectious.

I hope she gets better but the cough may be with her for a very long time.

Sadly we are hearing more of the horrid disease because so many people are not having all the vaccinations.

Here is the list of notifiable diseases from HPA website.

HPA - List of notifiable diseases (http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/InfectiousDiseases/InfectionsAZ/NotificationsOfInfectiousDiseases/ListOfNotifiableDiseases/)

Eddisonsmum
17-12-2012, 04:26 PM
This is going to sound really thick, but who are DCMA, and this booklet you are talking about it, how do I get a copy or is there a link?

I'm looking for something that supports me in my policy regarding going home when sick etc as I'm getting a fight on my hands with parents :-(