PDA

View Full Version : Rooms and pets

sam411
13-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Hi, I am new to the forum and I am sure my questions have been answered many times before but here I go anyway. I am currently looking into becomming a childminder, before I even start the process I just want to know if its possible to have a dog whilst childminding, she will separated from the children and won't be left alone with any children and we also plan to separate an area of the garden for her. Secondly, downstairs of our house isn't really ideal to set up a playroom/play area so I would like to convert one of our bedrooms into a playroom, if all the safety issues are done (stairgates/window locks etc) is this allowed to be done?
I have a level 3 in childcare (NNEB), would I still have to do another training course, the in-home based part?
Sorry for the essay, but thanks in advance for any help.
Sam

jane5
13-11-2011, 01:07 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Lots of minders on here have dogs so yes Ofsted allows this. I think there are some things to look at regarding hygiene and safety (this is often protecting the dog from the mindees :laughing:) but as long as you risk assess everything, that is fine.

Lots of minders have small houses and some use bedrooms as playrooms. I think the main disadvantage about using a bedroom is you have to go down stairs to answer the door or to use the garden or kitchen and do you take all of the lo's with you.

It is entirely up to you where you mind and it i what works best for you.

Do a search on here and you will find other threads about these questions.

Good luck

sarah c
13-11-2011, 03:18 PM
hiya and welcome im jut stating childminding also a level 3 and also got a dog. as long as the dog is seperate its fine and risk assessments in place. also ive had to do pre breifing, first aid, and eyfs training then you have to do unit 5 as well but while iv been waiting ive done my food and hyiene and safeguarding children online.

but each area is different hopefully this helps you abit more and other people will be able to add moe detail for you

x

TheBTeam
13-11-2011, 08:03 PM
I have two dogs and they are not separated in the house or garden from the mindees and I had an ofsted in March and got outstanding, so yes it can work.

sam411
14-11-2011, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the info everyone, much appreciated!!