PDA

View Full Version : observation records

mandy g 35
10-11-2011, 04:54 PM
hi i am only 6 mths into the childminding and i love it but am overwhelmed by the paperwork , can anyone help me i am confused....is a learning journal the same as an observation file?????:panic:

sarah707
10-11-2011, 06:13 PM
A child's learning journey file contains observations, individual planning, photos, notes from parents about learning and development etc...

Hth :D

JCrakers
11-11-2011, 10:45 PM
Observations go into the learning journey. These are what you see the child doing and write it down. I only do a couple of sentences with a picture.
Then link it to the six areas looking at the age and add some next steps.

Learning journeys include pictures of child doing activities, playing etc. child's work if it hasn't gone home or a photo of work. And any other info you collect about the child.

pj23
13-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Really helpful, thanks.:thumbsup:
As a new childminder it's a bit mind boggling to make sure you're doing everything right.
PJ

littleguy1
15-11-2011, 12:10 PM
I agree, I'm glad you asked that about the learning journal because I was a bit confused too. I am doing my observations which I thought would be his learning journey so I got a bit confused when my education assessor asked if I had a learning journey in place.

Kaps
15-11-2011, 01:31 PM
i'm newly registered and had my 1st day yesterday with a little boy.is the learning journal the same a daily diary

JCrakers
15-11-2011, 02:11 PM
i'm newly registered and had my 1st day yesterday with a little boy.is the learning journal the same a daily diary

A daily diary is something you choose to do to tell the parents what he/she has been doing all ay. These are written in and taken hom so Mum/Dad can read it, write in it if they want to and then bring it with them on next visit. You dont have to do these but its good for communication and also if you have a bad memory like me :D You could do an daily email or book. Nurseries usually do theirs on a slip of paper.

The learning journey is a folder or book which shows the childs time with you throughout the length of time they are with you. You should have one for each child under 5yrs and they can be sent home ever so often to show parents what progres they are making. They include pictures of activities, things the child has done, craft work, moments that are special or Wow moments like pedalling on a trike for the first time.

These activities are then linked to the EYFS. I use a sticker with PD, PSED, CD, KUOW, CLL and PSRN and stick it next to the picture or work.