PDA

View Full Version : Please can some one give ideas on how to link eyfs to learning journeys

Tracey Tyler
10-11-2011, 10:41 AM
Hello to every one! Sorry its been so long,but I have been so busy up till now.Ofsted have been round as well! I got overall mark of good and lots of outstanding features! but was disapointed as I worked so hard not to get outstanding overall. Its so hard to get everything to a high stardard for Ofsted! This is what let me down the most was to develop futher assessment arrangements ,to link observation with specific aspects within the areas of learning ,to effectivaly identify childrens learning in relation to their stage of development thats what Ofsted wrote on my report! Now let me say what I showed Ofsted ,Each child has eyfs personal pathway folder with learning journey add sheets to it which has what they did, links to eyfs , how I support learning, and next steps with a photo. But this was still not enough? I am not sure why? Plus each child has a assessment done and plan of action! I have friends that are childminders that dont do half the paper work I do and I still only got a good? Cant understand it? I think that may be I did not link the eyfs enough? Please can some one give ideas and help me , thank you! I may stop useing the pathway book to do somthing different? I look forward to reading your ideas? Tracey x

Pauline
10-11-2011, 05:46 PM
It sounds like you have done lots of good things, did s/he tell you anything specific at the end of the inspection or is it all as written on your report?

Tracey Tyler
10-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Hi pauline, I was four yrs over due with Ofsted,and they stayed 3 and half hours as I had so much paper work to show her,it was xx and she use to be a teacher so I guess that I had no chance of being to her standard! Every thing was in my report,which I guess having read others that my was not that bad what she said! I just need to improve on some areas I think! Thank you for replying back to me and sorry to keep from your work! I was very busy had three full time childen for 3 yrs then they left to go to school,so I now only have 2 part-time children 2 days a week! So I was thinking that as I had a bit more time that I would like to get back to using this site as I have missed coming on here! Thank u again take care Traceyx

Daffy Duck
10-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Hi Tracy,
when doing my learning journeys, I print out the Eyfs stage for the age child, from the EYFS book or cd then when they can do those things I highlight it & as sugested by my Ofsted inspecter date i at the side when they did it. ofsted seemed to like this as agreed it saved time. might not work for you, but just an idea. sorry don't know if I;ve explained myself very well.
:)

charlieamber
11-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Hi Sorry to but in to this tread, as I really can't give you any info on what else you need to do as I still havent had my first inspection within the EYFS< but wanted to reply to

Hi Tracy,
when doing my learning journeys, I print out the Eyfs stage for the age child, from the EYFS book or cd then when they can do those things I highlight it & as sugested by my Ofsted inspecter date i at the side when they did it. ofsted seemed to like this as agreed it saved time. might not work for you, but just an idea. sorry don't know if I;ve explained myself very well.
:)

Hi Daffy, When you said you highlight the stages, is this what you are talking about
http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/eyfsassessment.html

Am asking as am getting confussed, because my DO said to do this and I asked here if I| should fill in stages before childs age ( am minding a 28 month old at moment, and wasnt sure if I should be highlighting say from 1yr old stage too, as hopefully he should be reached by now) But was told on here Ofsted don't like tick charts, This is not what they meant as a tick chart, is it!!!!? I was told by my DO to use 4 differant colour highlights and start this month with one colour, hightlight what child can do, then 3 months time, change pen and do the same, am I right in thinking this is what I should be doing!!!! OMG so confussed, maybe I should go back to working in the nursing home, which I have been doing since having a 3 year break from minding LOL

Carol M
12-11-2011, 07:03 AM
In my lo's learning journeys I do use the overview sheets and mark off with a different colour pen, things that I have observed,every half term( or when I get a chance to catch up with paperwork:panic: ).
First I record everything in my daily diary, this is the only thing that is up to date always :panic: All lo's info on daily page, includes everything done and observed.
Then, when I get the time, I transfer each child obs into own LJ and link to area of EYFS . Next after each half term I go through and tick statements which apply.
This way I can immediately see all areas so can plan next steps( although do this daily using info in diary noted!!)
I think what you are doing sounds loads and if you use the overview sheets I think you may be able to demonstrate further you are doing what inspector wants.
I think the overview sheets might be in Free downloads on this forum.Yes see link in previous post! I will try and attach the ones I use.
Again, I see inconsistencies from Ofsted inspections as I know of Outstanding graded childminders who DO NOT link to EYFS !!
Carol xx

Carol M
12-11-2011, 07:15 AM
I use these

Carol M
12-11-2011, 07:19 AM
more ages here