PDA

View Full Version : Learning Journey/Obs help needed!

LempyLump
09-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Hi all :)

I hope you can help, I currently just have one little one that I mind full time and he's 13 months old. I'm trying to get his Learning Journey started and I'm just wondering if you put ALL your obs and next steps and planning in it? Or do you have seperate obs/steps/planning? In which case how do you decide which goes in the journel or do you end up duplicating things so the LJ has obs and you have copies in your paperwork?

Sarah

butterfly
09-11-2011, 05:31 PM
my written observations contain a description, a photo, the eyfs links, next steps - these then go in the learning journey

daily diaries contain a short synopsis of the day and info about eating, drinking, sleeping, nappy changes and mood.

the obs are just about eyfs learning and development - very focused on learning

rosebud
09-11-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "your paperwork". Surely the LJ's are your paperwork, why would you be doing any more?
I just have a LJ for each child which contain photos, observations with next steps (which are written on daily diary sheets and are filed in the LJ when returned by the parent), pieces of artwork and I also write up occasional formal observations which are linked to EYFS. Thats it, I don't do anything more than this and on the whole I can do most of it within my working hours.

LempyLump
09-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Sorry to confuse you all! I just meant does every observation you do go in the LJ or do you keep like an observation folder that you show Ofsted etc? Or would you just show them the LJ's?

I'm assuming planned activities don't go in the LJ? But in your planning folder for example?

Now even I'm not sure if I'm making any sense lol!
I write down little obs on sticky labels and in the corner of each one I put initials like CD for creative development to show the link to the eyfs. Should I just stick these straight into the LJ? Just thought the initials might confuse parents but I'd want Ofsted to see so not sure I'm doing it right?

Lol, I'm just rambling now!

sarah707
09-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Child's observations and individual planning goes in LJs and I show these to Ofsted.

Group planning goes in my folder and I would share that with Ofsted as well.

Child's obs and individual planning usually references back to group planning - John wanted to jion in with our group activities today and he etc...

Hth :D

LempyLump
09-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Thank you Sarah, you made it sound like the simple question I intended it to be!