PDA

View Full Version : Proposed changes at NCMA

Penny1959
08-11-2011, 12:09 PM
I have posted before about the consultation that NCMA is undertaking about widening the membership of NCMA.

However I have now heard the further debate and information will be available at the next round of Regional Forums in Jan / Feb.

I would urge all NCMA members to try to attend to hear what the plans are and to express their views.

NCMA is a member led organisation and members views matter - however if members do not express a view it will will assumed that members are happy with the proposals being put forward by NCMA - and if the proposed changes are implemented - you can not say you were not asked to comment / or get things changed back.

I have very few details but it appears that NCMA think it would be a good idea to offer a membership service to others such as foster carers - in the same way as they currently do for nannies.

At the same forums they will also be information about NCMA's new Professional Occupation Standards - which are sort of a new version of the Quality Standards - again it is very important that members attend the forums so they can be involved in discussions, the feedback and therefore the inform the decision that NCMA will make.

The West Midlands regional forum is on 28th January - all NCMA members from West Midlands very welcome - and if you can;t make the one in your region try to attend one of the others.

The future shape of NCMA is in the hands of members - but we must express our opinion if we want NCMA to implement the things we like and not implement the thing we don't like.

Penny :)

rickysmiths
08-11-2011, 12:51 PM
I will try to get to one Penny thank you. My last two meetings have been the same day as my Level 3 study days so I haven't been able to go.

I certainly hope the National Childminding Association do not let Foster Carers become members, as far as i'm concerned Nannies was a step too far. They are in capable at the moment of helping their childminders so how do they think admitting more and different members could be a good thing?

They need to start blowing the trumpet very loudly about how fantastic childminders are first. I am finding more and more parents who come to visit are coming to look at childminders as a second thought, they didn't know much about us. All their friends seem to talk about the local Day Nurseries and know the good ones but not childminders. I have had a few in the last few months who have chosen one of the day nurseries, I have had one leave me, wasn't with me long because mum wanted a nursery place but there wasn't one. Child settled so well, mum was very pleased but she still left after 5 months when a Day Nursery place came free. Now a child who loved going out and about is confined to 4 walls and a very very small paved garden:panic: Some common feelings are scared about their child being with one person and forming a bond with them instead of mum and this used to be considered a plus! Scared about coming to a strangers house. Not enough children of the same age to play with, now again it was considered good that we have a range of ages for a child to play with which is more family like.

In the past I have been chosen because of the bond with one person, the fact that it is home from home etc. A lot of parents that cms around this area are getting now seem to think it is good to have them part with us and part with day nursery, I had a parent do this with a just 1yr and he now has 3 days with me and 1 at a local day nursery because they liked it! When mum goes on Mat Leave in April she wants one day here and one at nursery so she keeps a place at both and can hedge her bets!!!

I think NCMA needs to get out there big time and start promoting the great advantages of the care and flexibility we offer and the training we do and show we are not and inferior or poor chose compared to a Day Nursery before they try and help Foster carers.

Carol M
08-11-2011, 01:23 PM
I feel the proposed changes are influenced by the possible financial gains to the association and I agree with Rickysmiths and made my point to Sue Davis and Liz Bayram at the Conference on Saturday.
I agree that all professionals across the sector benefit from sharing good practice but I think the proposed new membership idea is just not going to work. We are all working to the same end ( the child) but we will be too different in many ways, such as governing bodies and statutory guidelines.
And I'm not so sure others would feel any benefit of joining as there are other associations that cater for their specific requirements and I think this would stop childminders joining,or indeed continuing to be members if NCMA does not remain specific to CHILDMINDERS.
Carol xx

Penny1959
08-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Thank you Rickysmiths and Carol M for making some valid points.

And Carol has made a very good pointabout current members. I for one am already considering if I will want to remain a member if Registered Childminders do not remain - as it says in NCMA's strapline - at the heart of everything NCMA does.

Pipsqueak
08-11-2011, 02:01 PM
National CHILDMINDERS Association....

it was formed primarily to speak up for CHILDMINDERS.....

NCMA are losing members hand over fist and they want to take on more?
They need to get their own house in order and start delivering the service that paid up members keep paying for. My membership and insurance is up for renewal at the end of the year and I am considering moving the insurance at the very least. I have always been NCMA and a vocal advocate for them however some of the stories you hear, including my own experiences is not really a winner for me.

Many of these other organisations already have a STRONG voice.

oh and i totally agree with Ricky - NCMA needs to start blowing childminders trumpets - get us advertised as an equal form of childcare

Penny1959
08-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Again good points Pipsqeak.

Like Carol I aslo spoke to Liz Bayram and Sue Davis at the conference - and I must be becoming a bit of a pain in neck to them as I seem to be constantly emailing one member of staff or another but something.

As you know there are not many who are as passionate about childminding and NCMA as I am - my whole life at the moment seems to be taken up with my voluntary work for NCMA.

Just this morning I was up at stupid oclock writing a powerpoint presentation that I am going to deliver to childminders in Birmingham -about why they should attend the regional forums. Over the next 2 weeks I have 4 such meetings - and I don't get paid - or claim expenses - I do it because I believe in NCMA as the professional body to represent childminders - which they still are at the moment and why I am continuing to promote - even 'sell' NCMA.

As I said to those at the top on Saturday - actually I don't mind if NCMA takes on other childcarers as members and I don't even mind if they create a new name to show that they represent others So 'Childcarers are us' BUT and it is a big BUT - I will not continue to be a member unless they keep the NCMA bit seperate for childminders - completely seperate - so like other organisations you would end up with 'Childcarers are us' with NCMA childminders as one part, nannies as another and foster carers as another - all with own website, own forums, own conferences, own paperwork - and own dedicated staff.

I do not want to be a generic 'childcarer - I am a registered childminder.
I do not want to go to forums or conferences and spend time discussing things things that do not relate to my profession (and I am sure foster carers or nannies would not want to listen to childminding stuff)
I do not want to have to wait on hold on the phone because a member of staff is busy advising another type of childcarer.

I think Carol may be right and it is all to do with raising money - but how about getting more childminding members and offerring more services - even those like the insurance and the business paperwork which brings in an income.

However although you will be able to tell that I am more than a bit 'miffed' at all these proposals from NCMA - I do actually still have faith that IF enough members speak up and say NO that is not what we want - that NCMA will listen. My fear is that most members won't even know all this is going on - as it is a known fact that most members do not even read their membership news - never mind express their views - and therefore members will not respond and NCMA will have a less than full picture of members views.

Please NCMA members respond - and tell your NCMA colleagues who are not on here.

And should members vote in their thousand to adopt the proposed changes - then at least it will be the members wish .

Sorry so long - strong feelings

Pipsqueak
08-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Penny - have you put similar messages on Mind your own business on Facebook and on Netmums childcare thread and on mumsnet.

I will forward on your message to my colleagues and ask the EY team to forward it on if you would like?

I too am keen to promote childminders and NCMA however like you do not want to become part of a generic group. I have worked hard in my local area doing stuff to promote childminders, I have worked hard for several years supporting minders - mostly without pay.

Penny1959
08-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Penny - have you put similar messages on Mind your own business on Facebook and on Netmums childcare thread and on mumsnet.

I will forward on your message to my colleagues and ask the EY team to forward it on if you would like?

I too am keen to promote childminders and NCMA however like you do not want to become part of a generic group. I have worked hard in my local area doing stuff to promote childminders, I have worked hard for several years supporting minders - mostly without pay.

No I have not posted in MYOB - as left that group. I am still on Facebook but only for those I trust. However will post there as some are childminders.

Good idea about LA - I will get in touch with my ex colleagues - msaybe my improvement advisor.

As you might guess my powerpoint for the Birmingham childminders - does mention the need to make their views known.

I also have Sue Davis visiting my setting on 18th NOV and will try to get the message across that NCMA childminders do not want to be part of a generic group.

Thanks Pipsqueak for helping get the message out. At least we will have tried to get members to respond.

Pipsqueak
08-11-2011, 04:15 PM
do you want me to put it MYOB???

rickysmiths
08-11-2011, 04:42 PM
I will give this to as many people I can think of and see if I can get some more to join NCMA again. I'm afraid a lot around here use MM for insurance and don't see the point of being a member of NCMA although they reap the benefits!

I must say I was sad to see a non Childminder chosen as Chair because I don't care what they say unless you have been one you can never fully know what it means to be one it is such a unique role. NCMA have got to get across how unique and special the care we offer is and at all levels from Government down.

I agree seperate Assoc for each area of Childcare if they have to do it but it is a moneymaking mission and I don't see how they can do it until they have it right for cms. Why don't they go all out to get more members in? I see MM sponsering all sorts of things why don't NCMA get their name out there?

They have also got to stop favouring one Insurance Broker for Car and Home Insurance, it is not a good thing to do especially as they are not the only company to provide perfectly good insurance for childminders and they are not true brokers on our behalf anyway because as far as I know they only use one insurance company for car insurance and have used it for years so much so that a few years ago when I had the unfortunate experience (a long tale and I wasn't the only one left uninsured for a several months!!:panic: ) of using them all the material was pre-printed and had their logo and NCMA one on. Not something I have experienced from other brokers because they don't know until you walk through the door where they will get the best deal for you.!

They have got to get a Help Line going that is accessible in the evenings, over weekends and Bank Holidays when we can be at our most exposed. It was asked for at a Conference 5 years ago and it was discussed at a Volunteers Conference a couple of years ago but nothing has been done.

They have got to promote their Legal Line now they have changed and have the confidence that they will be able to support their members.

They need to promote their paperwork as well because it is good.

If they lump us all together I will prob leave because they can't be all to everyone so none of us will get a good deal. I fear they won't do things seperately because its down to money.

Penny1959
08-11-2011, 05:05 PM
do you want me to put it MYOB???

Yes Pipsqueak - Try to keep it as positive as you can - as don't want one of the famous MYOB 'rants' to kick off - so just a bit to tell them the basics and to try to get them to go the forums - and if they are NCMA to log on to 'My NCMA' so they can get the info.

I think quite a few know who I am now and I am very happy for them to contact me either via private message on here or on facebook.

Would you be willing to redirect people Pipsqueak on MYOB if I private messaged you my email address?

Pipsqueak
08-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Yes Pipsqueak - Try to keep it as positive as you can - as don't want one of the famous MYOB 'rants' to kick off - so just a bit to tell them the basics and to try to get them to go the forums - and if they are NCMA to log on to 'My NCMA' so they can get the info.

I think quite a few know who I am now and I am very happy for them to contact me either via private message on here or on facebook.

Would you be willing to redirect people Pipsqueak on MYOB if I private messaged you my email address?

Absolutely Penny.
Write 'the/a spiel' and I will post for you and if people want to contact you then then can do so via me....

I will also post on Netmums and Mumsnet too

I am going to send an email to all those on (local) network and everyone I have an email for in town xx

Donkey
09-11-2011, 12:35 PM
I too do not think its a good idea for 'new members' it may be different blood... but its the wrong kind of blood and my immune system will want to attack it...

we need to get a transfusion from out family....

sorry but my brain is mush and this is the only way I could explain, brain been scientific...

Narnia34
09-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Would you like me to spread the word amongst NCMA members out here in BFG? There's about 100 minders out here who's views are not being represented by anyone, despite us all having to use NCMA insurance as they are the only ones who will insure us here.

One small problem with having to use NCMA is that when there is a problem, they seem to be unable to help, because we are in Germany. (BFG system is an odd one, where we are registered and work to EYFS, whilst living in the land of sausages)

I can't see how taking on more and different groups of people within the remit of NCMA is going to benefit anyone, especially a group such as foster carers. Surely the organisation should be sticking to what it used to do very well, giving Child Minders a collective voice and a strong lobbying platform, promoting CM as the best alternative for child car for the under 3's and generally raising our profile. Especially during a recession, where we as a profession have been hit hard.

The NCMA is going to have a running battle keeping CM members if they choose to diversify, so if, as Ricky suggests, this is a money making initiative, then surely this would be a self defeating on in the long run.

Hope that all makes sense, and let me know about spreading the word over here :)

Chatterbox Childcare
09-11-2011, 01:24 PM
I was at an NPF meeting on Sunday after the Conference and may I reiterate that although there is a debate NOTHING has been decided as the idea is still in a consultation stage

Please go along to the regional meetings and listen to what is being said and then let your feelings known, please don't read snippits from different places and get a picture that may not be the whole picture.

Also Foster Care is not an option as this idea was investigated and the "Foster Carers" said a resounding NO.

Penny1959
09-11-2011, 01:49 PM
I was at an NPF meeting on Sunday after the Conference and may I reiterate that although there is a debate NOTHING has been decided as the idea is still in a consultation stage

Please go along to the regional meetings and listen to what is being said and then let your feelings known, please don't read snippits from different places and get a picture that may not be the whole picture.

Also Foster Care is not an option as this idea was investigated and the "Foster Carers" said a resounding NO.

Thanks for the info Debbie - about the foster carers - and the reassurance that nothing decided yet.

I have just checked and we have capascity for up to 100 members to attend the WEST MIDlands forum for FREE (and we will still provide lunch) These 2 consultations are too important to let others decide the outcome - please can as many as possible attend their forums.

Donkey
09-11-2011, 05:42 PM
the ncma just don't seem to be 'big' in sheffield...

the council do not outsource their cm support it is in house...

I hear more about whats happening with ncma on the forum and from penny/blueboy/playmate than I do from my local area...

I have no clue when my regional forum is...
I found out about my regional rep and never heard of them..

however lots of other names looked familiar ;)

Penny1959
09-11-2011, 05:52 PM
the ncma just don't seem to be 'big' in sheffield...

the council do not outsource their cm support it is in house...

I hear more about whats happening with ncma on the forum and from penny/blueboy/playmate than I do from my local area...

I have no clue when my regional forum is...
I found out about my regional rep and never heard of them..

however lots of other names looked familiar ;)

Thats a shame Donkey - personally I love the mutual support and friendship from my fellow NCMA regional colleagues.

Yes I do give a lot to NCMA - but I get a lot back.