PDA

View Full Version : Potty training & parents

boxtree7
08-11-2011, 08:38 AM
I got to laugh - a mum came to me yesterday sais little fella started potty training sunday evening ... He has a nappy on today cause I didn't now what you wanted me to. This morning she comes with pulls ups - change clothes and undies. He hasn't wee wee this morning on the potty I didn't have time so he probaly done in his pull up. Ok i say what would you like me to do .... her reponse oh I don't now but theres all he needs. The pull up firmly pulled over my head !!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

redsky
08-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Is it her first child? She might not really know how to go about it, just been told by friends or family he should be doing it type thing?

rickysmiths
08-11-2011, 09:10 AM
I do not do potty training and I make this clear to all my parents. I discuss with them as the time comes what signs to look for to see if lo is ready.

I also make it clear that as and when we think a lo is ready we sit down and work out what is going to happen. I ask parents to be prepared to do it in their holiday, so have two weeks at home. Be somewhere where lo is comfortable and if they are ready they should crack day time dryness in that time. When it is cracked i support it.

I am not a lover of pull ups either, they are a marketing mans dream and are expensive and very rarely needed. If a lo is still unreliable I would explain to them and put a nappy on for a long car trip for example, but on the whole I recommend going into pants and sticking with it.

I carry a fold up travel potty with me when we go out. Plan trips so we have regular access to toilets and take spare clothes with me.

Over the last 5 years I have supported 3 families with potty training, I haven't had a large turn over of children and had these for 4.5 to 5 years. I have had the odd accident but very few and certainly not to the point of feeling I am cleaning up all the time. None of them have used a potty, they all used the toilet from day one. All the parents did the basic training as it were at home first.

I have two coming up to this stage next spring/summer and have already had initial talks with both sets of parents as to how we go about things so nothing comes as a shock.

You don't say how old the lo is. If a parent had trolled up one morning and out of the blue said lo is potty training I would have just said 'oh are they, well they will be in a nappy today and we will discuss it tonight!'

One of my mums did say in Sept, she is a very young mum, that her mum had said lo should be potty trained and her are the pullups!!:panic: I had a long chat with her and said lo prob wouldn't be ready until at least June/July 2012 lo was a very young 17mths and not talking and hadn't a clue about what was going on in the nappy dept!! Mum was more than happy when I explained and had thought her mums advise was a bit odd.:thumbsup:

Tinglesnark
08-11-2011, 10:44 AM
I am currently potty training my own lo and i must say i was hesitant! i found myself prevaricating and second guessing myself until i spoke to ds2s key worker and she supported me and agreed that it was time and that i WAS right to just jump right in to pants. he is doing so well and i am being consistent - i just needed a little backup. crazy really when you consider that i am a childminder that has potty trained one son already and 2 other mindees...yest with my own second son i was unsure of myself!
none of us always know if we are doing the right thing, i would suggest that you offer her a starting point. To me it would seem that she doesnt quite know where to start and isnt sure of herself.
my lo is in pants and i keep reminding him every 10-15 minutes to sit on the potty. he is going out in his pants, only has a nappy for bedtime until we have cracked the daytime. i have the same as rickysmiths, a travel potty and he sits on it before we go and when we arrive. its just to get him used to not just letting himself go at random moments...

good luck to both of you!

oh i have a towel on ds2s car seat also...after washing it from every trip i had a brain wave....goodness me if i had brains id be dangerous! :laughing:

boxtree7
08-11-2011, 12:23 PM
This is a 2nd child. The little fella is 2 and hasn't got much words - I did say to the mum i wouldn't use pull ups just his undies - she wants to me to use pull ups. The little fella doesn't now when he has wet or poo poo in his nappy. I agree it should be done at home during holidays but the parent is trying her luck.