PDA

View Full Version : Change of planning sheet

snufflepuff
07-11-2011, 11:08 AM
My CMDO showed me a planning sheet that she says alot of minders in the area use. It has a space in the middle for the child's interests, current themes etc, then 6 boxes round the edge for each area of learning and space to put in activities for each. Each sheet covers either a month or a term. Does anyone use a sheet like this? Do you find it works well? Do you need to use something else alongside it, or is it enough on it's own?

At the moment I use different sheets for different children depending on how often they attend- and its not working all that well. It was fine when the children all did 2-3 days each but not so much now! It's just becoming confusing!

uf353432
07-11-2011, 12:37 PM
The only way is to try it for a bit and see if it works for you. I do mine differently - but this is the 4th draft in 3 years to get it to the stage. It shows continous improvement. There is no 'better' way - just the way that works for you.

loocyloo
07-11-2011, 12:40 PM
i use one sometimes, in theory every half term/ but in practice its once a term, to give me an idea where i might beheading, but generally each weeks activities ( planned & unplanned ) spring from what the children are doing, have done the week before and my planning is literally the 'next steps' as in learning journals. i have 2 children who come 3 days a week, and the rest usually, just one day, and i find that sheet too 'full' to do that often, as i don't want to rush them through lots of planned activities every day they come. sometimes we don't do ANY planned activity!

lottieslittlelambs
18-11-2011, 09:10 PM
i use one sometimes, in theory every half term/ but in practice its once a term, to give me an idea where i might beheading, but generally each weeks activities ( planned & unplanned ) spring from what the children are doing, have done the week before and my planning is literally the 'next steps' as in learning journals. i have 2 children who come 3 days a week, and the rest usually, just one day, and i find that sheet too 'full' to do that often, as i don't want to rush them through lots of planned activities every day they come. sometimes we don't do ANY planned activity!

I like you have been planning using LJ next steps. This is what I was taught to do by the setting supervisor when I worked at preschool. We also had our planning on the wall on A3 paper which we wrote what the child had been doing/ theme/ interest and then next to it what activities we could extend from it.

I am thinking of doing individual sheets in the back of learning journeys weekly for full timers, half termly for part-timers (I have one who only comes once a week if that on an ad hoc basis)

We also have days, particularly with my ad-hoc child where we do things which aren't planned. Today was a completely unplanned day where I let the children lead and I followed. I made lots of obs and joined in lots of play whenI was invited in. It was a fab, fun day :)