PDA

View Full Version : Can I get Outstanding on my 1st inspection?

LittleLadybirds
04-11-2011, 09:42 PM
I thought this may be a common question, so apologies if it has already been asked. If it is possible to get overall outstanding on your 1st inspection, can anyone give me any pointers on what Ofsted will be looking for me to prove to make me outstanding?

I would be really grateful for any advice and help, as will be due my inspection in the next month or so!

Thanks so much in advance :)

mama2three
04-11-2011, 10:11 PM
yes its perfectly possible - though some inspectors have told people that they cant give it at 1st inspection. yet another ofsted inconsistency .
Read as many local reports as you can online , it may give you an idea of what inspectors have been thrilled with , and what they have picked childminders up on.
There is a thread somewhere saying what we thought had got us our grades - but generally most said they reflect and improve as they go along . Outstanding is great , dont get me wrong , but there are much better minders than me out there , and on here , whose grades are satisfactory or good . Grade isnt everything , and tbh very few parents are all that interested in them anyway!

Ripeberry
04-11-2011, 10:17 PM
I got outstanding on my first inspection. Some areas of good (did not have enough ethnic diversity). The main thing is to have watertight paperwork.
I supposed it helped that I previously worked in insurance so made sure everything was just right.

Also make sure you've updated your safeguarding training and know it inside and out. She was not that interested in my planning, but was happy about me just using a diary to note what we were doing each day, any festivals coming up and what groups we were going to and something to show that the RA had been checked.

Also if you can, get your mindees parents to write a letter for Ofsted. Another thing which helped me greatly was doing the SEF, yes it is a pain, but as long as you put as much info as you can about your daily routine then they don't bug you with questions and you can get on with looking after the mindee(s).

It can be done. I was the first one in my county ever back in March 2010 and since then I think two more new CMs have got Outstanding.
So to sum it up:
SEF, even if you only do half of it, better than nothing
Watertight paperwork, evidence of working with other settings.
Know your Safeguarding procedures
Daily diaries/Learning journeys to view

Hope this helps :)

Maza
04-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Yes, it's possible. Good advice given above.

Rachel1983
04-11-2011, 11:09 PM
yes its perfectly possible - though some inspectors have told people that they cant give it at 1st inspection. yet another ofsted inconsistency .
Read as many local reports as you can online , it may give you an idea of what inspectors have been thrilled with , and what they have picked childminders up on.
There is a thread somewhere saying what we thought had got us our grades - but generally most said they reflect and improve as they go along . Outstanding is great , dont get me wrong , but there are much better minders than me out there , and on here , whose grades are satisfactory or good . Grade isnt everything , and tbh very few parents are all that interested in them anyway!

i wrote down what everyone said for my own notes....

eco minded nature organic approach
lots of outings
experience/qualifications
messy play
overnight care offered
organised service provided
lots of training
museums/kew gardens/ tube to london
fresh home cooked meals
good at disapline
good at spelling
quick at replyinh to emails
clean enviroment
welcoming enviroment
good security

Rachel1983
04-11-2011, 11:15 PM
what does SEF stand for pls ?????

uf353432
04-11-2011, 11:18 PM
So to sum it up:
SEF, even if you only do half of it, better than nothing
Watertight paperwork, evidence of working with other settings.
Know your Safeguarding procedures
Daily diaries/Learning journeys to view

Hope this helps :)

where as I did all of above and got Good with only one area of outstanding and a great friend who openly admits to not having everythig as tied up as me - got outstanding on her first visit.

It s possible - but I also think there is alot to be said that the grade is secondary to the attitude, enthusiasm and commitment to your business.

Ripeberry
05-11-2011, 07:12 AM
what does SEF stand for pls ?????

Self Evaluation Form.

lfishwick
05-11-2011, 08:25 AM
I agree with the advice given above - I also needed to show that I could tell her off the top of my head that I knew the children inside and out, what their interests were, how i've moved them on and how I plan on moving them further etc...

I got outstanding in all areas on my first grading, I did not expect it and whilst it may sound strange, I am not 100% sure I deserve it, when I read my report it sounds a bit too positive and I wonder if she got 'wowed' as such...

Also what is important to me is that the children in my care are happy and developing and the parents are happy ( but of course the grading was nice to get!!)

LittleLadybirds
05-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Thank you all for the messages and advice :)

It's nice to know it is possible to get outstanding on your 1st inspection, as I had previously been told that you couldn't.

I have put a lot of work in, especially in getting the paperwork side of things done, and have also updated things when things cropped up - so will hopefully show that I am already evaluating my practice. I keep a record of planned activities, and evaluate how they went, and anything I would change if I did the activity again. And I make notes on how to diversify the activity for different age ranges.

Each child has their own file, and their own EYFS development plans, and this again is evaluated on if we have made progress towards the L&D outcome. Thier files also have formal observations, and summative assessments to link with the EYFS outcomes. Just need to get the files completely typed up to date; each child has a notebook I write in each day so I remember what they have done. My long-term topic plan has a variety of festivals and celebrations on it, to show we are also celebrating things from other cultures and things from around the world.

I am trying to get parent feedback, but it is easier said than done! As my 2 parents are SO disorganised, it is unreal!! I asked one of them to complete a feedback questionnaire a month ago; she has promised she will complete it over the weekend! So fingers crossed that will come back! She is suposed to be completing a feedback form on my policies & procedures too, so hopefully she will put some positive comments!!!

I am booked on a number if training courses, and attend the childminder network meetings. I take the children to the childminder drop-in playgroup on a Monday morning, and also one of the other childminders brought her children round last week for a visit and to do an activity.

I think the only thing that will really let me down, is that I am limited on outdoor activities I can do, as am still renovating the garden so I can get it registered for use.

I think I need to do a few more outing risk assessments, even for places that we have not been to yet, but they are places that I am planning on taking them to, to show the potential variety planned.

I would like some more cultural and disability awareness toys, but am not really sure where to even start looking for them, so any ideas on that would be great too!

Hopefully I will get a nicer inspector than the one I had for the pre-reg visit - that lady spent nearly 3 hours asking me questions after question none-stop! She then spent 5 mins looking round my house. It was a proper grilling, whereas the other people on my pre-reg course said their inpectors were there for less than an hour, had a cup of tea and a chat! :( Guess I was unlucky, but at least she knew that I knew what I was on about!

Thanks agina for the advice, and any other thoughts are still appreciated!
Zoe. Xx

uf353432
05-11-2011, 03:38 PM
It sounds like you are doing a great job.

When I didn't get O/S on my 1st inspection I have to admit to feeling a bit dissappointed. But when I reflect on where my business is now to where it was 3 years ago you know I have made improvements in leaps and bounds, I know so much more, I am so much more confident with parents, children and those who wear 'official' hats. If I don't get it the next time then I again will be gutted but I know that I am working to the highest possible standards and my inspection will only see a snapshot of my day/week/month and year.

Be judged by your own standards, the feedback from your parents and the childminders whom you meet and speak to who ask for your advice because you inspire them. Just because Ofsted don't rate you as Outstanding - doesn't mean you are not in the eyes of other people who see you demonstrate your job daily. I need to take my own advice - because I can make myself go complete nuts trying to obtain a grade that actually may be lost by something completely out of my control.

Pipsqueak
05-11-2011, 03:45 PM
I thought this may be a common question, so apologies if it has already been asked. If it is possible to get overall outstanding on your 1st inspection, can anyone give me any pointers on what Ofsted will be looking for me to prove to make me outstanding?

I would be really grateful for any advice and help, as will be due my inspection in the next month or so!

Thanks so much in advance :)

Yes its perfectly possible providing you meet the criteria AND you get an inspector who is not a backwards biased opininated wombat!

However remember Outstanding is wonderful and many people I know (and on here) are well deserving of their outstanding.
Remember though it is not the be all and end all and many people are outstanding without ever obtaining the grading.

Louise85
05-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Wow - it seems like you are very organised...I am panicking as I am so not prepared and my first inspection is this week. I completely forgot about it and am now working around the clock to try get things organised. I have more fun with the children, and my paperwork gets neglected, which doesn't help for the inspection... definitely something to improve on.

Well done to everyone that stays on top of the paperwork - it seems like loads ALL of the time:(

Katiekoo
05-11-2011, 08:13 PM
It can be difficult to get outstanding on the first inspection depending on your inspector. Mine said she would love to give me outstanding but it's very hard to prove that you have continuous professional development after just 6 months. I was enrolled to do my level 3, had all the required training plus another 3 training courses on top. I was graded as outstanding for nearly all the areas but I got good overall. I was thrilled to get good of course but knowing how close I was to getting outstanding I was a little miffed that I have to wait 3 years before I get another chance. Go all out and do not be too humble, I didn't blow my own trumpet too much and I wished I had after, I have since been told by many professionals who come to my setting that my practice is exemplary, which is nice :blush:
Saying that sometimes I think having an outstanding grade might be a lot to live up to! I'm sure you will do your best and do well.

Pipsqueak
05-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Read Ofsteds A Passion to be Outstanding document that has helpful pointers in

another would be to read through local minder inspection reports and see what inspectors are picking up on etc

buildingblocks
06-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Yes you can one local to us was registered in March and graded OS in September. I would say read lots of reports in your area and also local areas as inspectors often do different counties and see what different inspectors are looking for within their recommendations

loopyloopy
07-11-2011, 11:01 AM
My inspector told me I couldnt get Outstanding on my first one as she has nothing (previous inspection actions) to see if I have improved on

I got a good in all area with the only action of sharing with other settings - none of my mindees attends any other settings but she had to put something

Must be different in different areas, good old Ofsted and continuity

LittleLadybirds
07-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the messages everyone :) It's nice to know it is achievable - however difficult!

Ofsted have rung today and left a message to try and book me in, so will be sooner rather than later I think!

Spent a long time at the weekend getting some more paperwork up to date, so just got fingers crossed!
Zoe. Xx