PDA

View Full Version : What do you do if parents don't want observations done

clareelizabeth1
02-11-2011, 01:00 PM
I have two sets of parents now that don't want observations done. Both sets said although they could see the good points of it they didn't feel it was nessisery and didnt want to sign to say I could. Has any one else had this and do I need to get them to sign something to say they don't want it done. If so what do they sign I keep trying to think of how to put it but can't get the wording right.
Thanks Clare

cupcake22
02-11-2011, 01:29 PM
I dont have any advise so hope someone will come along & advise. This happened to me & the parent did sign in the end but wasnt happy. I explained to them that it was a requirement of my job & they pointed out that surely as they are paying me then what they require should be 1st formost (they did say it nicely). I did agree with them as its their child & they should decide what they want. I know this does't help you but hopefully we will get some answers in case it happens again.

Cupcake22

wendywu
02-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Tell them to treat you like they would a nursery, they would have no choice at nursery.

I would seriously consider taking on parents who are willing to make life really awkward for me. :panic:

Phone Ofsted an ask what to do , but if they were your only children and you were inspected you would probably only get a satisfactory with no observations. Maybe even a inadequate, but i am not sure.

nipper
02-11-2011, 01:46 PM
This is interesting because by law we have to do them, but in doing so would we be deemed to be going against the wishes of the parents?
As an 'educator' I would rather have examples of work to show when being inspected, rather than not. I wouldn't be prepared to risk getting a bad grade, just because one parent 'didn't quite see the point'.

mufftie
02-11-2011, 01:55 PM
I'd say fine less work for me , and h would just take photos ad examples but not actually do a formal observation

I don't see how it can be law that they have to be done . It's like health visitor checks I refused to have a health visitor in my house as I found them a waste of time and the 1 yr checks and preschool checks wernt done as a result , they just said it was my choice and that was fine , and in all fairness my youngest daughter spent most of her 1st yr at the children's hospital as she was born with leg problems and I'm sure they would have picked up something of there was a problem . I really am against children having to fit in boxes as they all developed at there own pace .

Carol M
02-11-2011, 02:56 PM
I have one set of parents who are not interested in the EYFS,they know their child and understand child development. We talk each day about what child has done/ can do now/interests etc and I write notes in my diary. I take loads of photos which also support my evidence of childs progression and write brief notes for next steps, so although not writing up formal obs or ticking lists I am still following EYFS on my part for this child.
Carol xx

wendywu
02-11-2011, 03:55 PM
I would phone Ofsted and ask the question what happens if i dont have any observations of the children in my setting.

Not saying that i agree with all this hot housing of children but i would hate to be down graded because of some stubborn parent. :D

rickysmiths
02-11-2011, 04:52 PM
I'd say fine less work for me , and h would just take photos ad examples but not actually do a formal observation

I don't see how it can be law that they have to be done . It's like health visitor checks I refused to have a health visitor in my house as I found them a waste of time and the 1 yr checks and preschool checks wernt done as a result , they just said it was my choice and that was fine , and in all fairness my youngest daughter spent most of her 1st yr at the children's hospital as she was born with leg problems and I'm sure they would have picked up something of there was a problem . I really am against children having to fit in boxes as they all developed at there own pace .

Maybe not the the fact is that it is a legal requirement Under EYFS. It is almost impossible to opt out as well.

littleraspberry
02-11-2011, 05:23 PM
I've not quite had this problem, but I have had a similar one. Ofsted told me that if parents wish to opt out of the EYFS, they need to apply to the DFES for an exemption. This is a long process, and it is highly unlikely that a parent would actually get an exemption without some very extenuating circumstances.
Parents can't pick and choose which parts of the EYFS are followed, its all or nothing. Nothing being not choosing a childminder.
Sorry.

clareelizabeth1
02-11-2011, 05:44 PM
I have one set of parents who are not interested in the EYFS,they know their child and understand child development. We talk each day about what child has done/ can do now/interests etc and I write notes in my diary. I take loads of photos which also support my evidence of childs progression and write brief notes for next steps, so although not writing up formal obs or ticking lists I am still following EYFS on my part for this child.
Carol xx

I like this idea as it should keep OFSTED happy and the parent's. The parents are great and we talk about everything the child has done and what we could do with them so it's not like they are being over looked.

sarah707
02-11-2011, 05:58 PM
There is an exemption process but I am yet to meet a childminder or family who have managed to negotiate it successfully.

It doesn't cover things like obs and planning either. It relates to a few of the early learning goals which might be against the principles of the provision.

A man and wife childminding team did apply for exemption a few years ago with what they thought was a strong case but failed. There will be some very old threads knocking around on the forum about it if you want to hunt.

Parents cannot ask you to opt out - it's not fair on you as it will affect your Ofsted grading.

Hope this helps :D