PDA

View Full Version : Why is it a risk?

Boris
27-10-2011, 12:58 PM
I have a lock on my cupboard which houses the gas and electic meters becasue I was told I needed one. Why is that? What risk does it pose? I have written it on my risk assessment but in the bit where I have to say how it may cause harm I am stuck!!

Penny1959
27-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Who told you that you need one.

It is up to you to keep the children safe and to do your own risk assessment. I would say that if you can not answer the question why it is a risk then it is not a risk or at best a very low risk.

Personally I would say it would depend on where your meters are - as to if a risk. My gas one is the garage and high on the wall - and my electric one is in a the porch in a standard cupboard with the triangle key lock on it. I do not consider either to be a risk.

Penny :)

QualityCare
27-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Mine are in a kitchen cupboard, a high wall one, which l use every day l have never been asked where they are or told that the cupboard should be locked if they are indoors.

singingcactus
27-10-2011, 05:27 PM
The only thing I can think of (and it's a stretch) is to protect your meters from tampering! There is no other danger I can think of. I've never had a home with the meters indoors though.

Boris
27-10-2011, 06:27 PM
My DO told me I needed one. It's a small cupboard in the hall way with nothing else in it. I think I'll leave it off the risk assessment as I really can't think of any harm it could possibly do to a child! Flippin' DO's!!

Thanks for your replies ladies xx

Penny1959
27-10-2011, 06:51 PM
If your DO makes any other statement like that - please remind her / him that their job is to advise not tell - and that it is your job to ensure the children are safe and that you do this through risk assessment.

Some DO's talk nonsence (there are some good ones) but some seem to think you must do WHATEVER they say - and as an ex DO I know that is just not true.

Penny :)