PDA

View Full Version : How would you charge for this ....

xshellbellex
25-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Hi all new to childminding and desperately trying to get kids on my books but not getting very far.

I have a parent coming that wants 1 full day and 2 half days for their child who will go to Preschool on the afternoons of the half days. But during the school holidays she will need the 3 full days as Pre-school is closed. This will only be till September as she starts school then.

How would you charge. I was thinking charging for the afternoon for the half days as the spot will need to be kept for the holidays but would you charge half or full rate.

It will be unlikely i could find a child to fill the afternoons just for term time.

Any help or advice please

jumping j
25-10-2011, 10:24 AM
I'v had a similar situation and just charged for the half day, I was desperatley in need of some business and any money was better than none!
I'm now starting to regret this as it is difficult to fill the half day while lo is in nursery and I have another one about to start nursery half days and I feel bad charging for full days when I haven't previously!

The Juggler
25-10-2011, 10:40 AM
i would explain to her that if she needs you to keep the space for her for holidays she will either need to pay in full for the space or pay half fees. :thumbsup:

xshellbellex
25-10-2011, 11:01 AM
thanks
thats what i was thinking.
I'm hoping to get accredited so she might want to send her to me instead of preschool if she has to pay for the place

Goatgirl
25-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Hi :),
I'd explain that you have limited spaces in the early years age group, so need to charge half for the afternoon space to keep it for her for the holidays. Or up to the amount your minimum hours would be: mine's 6 as a rule.

Obviously if she faints with the shock, maybe have a back up plan ready: just paying for the hours she wants while you try to fill the space term time only and then a review of the charges after an amount of time? Or just charge her what she wants but explain the holiday place may not be available if you have interest in those hours from some one who also wants hols :), so you would then have to charge her...

Alot depends on how much work there is in your area. It is annoying to charge less at the beginning to get some income, but you have to start somewhere and something is better than nothing :cool:

Run it by her, and go with your gut feeling :thumbsup:

good luck,
Wendy :)

winstonian
05-11-2011, 06:10 PM
I have lots of part timers and they do fit around each other. One example is that I have a school child to take to school, then a little boy comes 9.30-1.30 then a school child again from 3.30 - I charge very slightly more for schoolies so it works out about the same - it just depends if you can slot people in together.
Good luck