PDA

View Full Version : Some odd types at briefing meeting

archie_fields
14-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Have recently been to a briefing meeting for childminding and was really surprised by some of the people that were there. I'm not one to judge on how people present themselves or who they speak (well, I try not to be but sometimes I just can't help myself :blush: ) but I was stunned that people thought it was acceptable to turn up late, dirty, dressed more like they were going out clubbing than to a meeting with the council and swearing.

I can honestly say I wouldn't have felt happy employing any of them as childminders which is a shame as we have a shortage of childminders in this area and I'm sure some of them would be good childminders but they need to learn to present themselves better, especially as first impressions always count.

We lost a fair few of the group (was about 40 all told) when they realised they actually had to 'teach' the mindees something, one woman was shocked as she thought she could just 'sit on my **** all day and watch Jeremy Kyle' - yes, she actually said that and it wasn't tongue in cheek!

I came away from the meeting feeling very judgemental (which I don't like) and quite frankly concerned about people's impressions of childminders.

sarah707
14-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Sadly this is always going to be the problem while we are underpaid and undervalued.

The majority of childminders do an excellent job - it's the few who let us down.

Lucky you - if there is a shortage in your area, get yourself registered and show them what's what! :D

flora
14-05-2008, 05:53 PM
I found the same on my briefing and my first aid courses.

As Sarah says, get reg'd and show them what a "proper" childminder can do :thumbsup:

Rubybubbles
14-05-2008, 06:13 PM
I agree with you there hun, sorry to say, but then it makes us nice clean and ready to teach the kids things shine:D

bubbly
14-05-2008, 06:51 PM
One woman on my first briefing session sat chomping on a big bag of sweets and swigging a bottle of coke. I thought it was totally inappropriate and wasn't surprised when she was a "no show" the following week. She obviously mistook the venue for a Showcase Cinema :laughing:

Good luck with the registration process. You sound exactly the sort of person this profession needs :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
14-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Get used to meeting "odd types" - you still get a few on the training sessions! The ones that know better than everyone else including the trainer/tutor, the ones who rage against what ever is said and those who are just downright "odd" (too much time with children and not enough with adults;) :D )

mummyof3
14-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Was the same at our briefing session about 30 arrived at the start of the session. One girl came in 45mins late then sat playing with her mobile and texting then it rang and she went outside and never came back.:laughing:

There was only about 20 that went on to fill in the forms to start the course.

Then the following week only 13 turned up to pay for the course!!:laughing:

Was a very mixed bundle of people again but the final 13 are lovely:clapping:

mum22
14-05-2008, 07:12 PM
some folks eh !
:rolleyes:
helen

avril
14-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Yes, when I first started there were approx 30 of us and the numbers dwindled each wk until the end of the wks there was 11 of us left to register and go onto the icp course.
People just don't realise how much hard work and training goes into being a childminder when I talk to friends, aquaintances etc.. they are amazed at what we have to do.

archie_fields
14-05-2008, 07:55 PM
It's good to know I'm not the only one that 'attracts' nutters!! Seriously, the seem to follow me everywhere! I always end up sitting next to them on public transport, at the cinema or standing next to them in the queue at the post office - there was one lady in there the other week who was convinced of the subliminal messages in Eastenders (all government controlled you know!).

We had the sweet eating, coke swilling girl, the very sweet yet naive girl who thought the whole time would be cuddling babies and the ones who thought that the kids would play happily all day while they watched TV and smoked.

We had to give a brief intro on ourselves and what we thought the role of a childminder was and I was really surprised by what most people thought. Many really thought it was a quick and easy way to make money.

Can't wait to see what we get at the 3hr session!

mummyof3
14-05-2008, 09:05 PM
It's good to know I'm not the only one that 'attracts' nutters!! Seriously, the seem to follow me everywhere! I always end up sitting next to them on public transport, at the cinema or standing next to them in the queue at the post office - there was one lady in there the other week who was convinced of the subliminal messages in Eastenders (all government controlled you know!).

:laughing: I had a lady a few months ago that told me the government wanted to put her in a special place because she was mad (her words). She then went on to tell me she was perfectly sane and it was a conspiracy because she knew so much and they had to keep her quiet! She then told me her shakras and her crystals were all cockahoop. She said she had discharged herself from a special unit at a psychiatric hospital and that really worried me! I spent 20mins talking to her because I felt sorry for her and my hubby was stood glaring at me to walk away. She told me I was a lovely person with a warm heart for talking to her! Note to self - I must toughen up!!

Pipsqueak
14-05-2008, 09:09 PM
:laughing: I had a lady a few months ago that told me the government wanted to put her in a special place because she was mad (her words). She then went on to tell me she was perfectly sane and it was a conspiracy because she knew so much and they had to keep her quiet! She then told me her shakras and her crystals were all cockahoop. She said she had discharged herself from a special unit at a psychiatric hospital and that really worried me! I spent 20mins talking to her because I felt sorry for her and my hubby was stood glaring at me to walk away. She told me I was a lovely person with a warm heart for talking to her! Note to self - I must toughen up!!

Awww - you have probably treated her "normally" and that made her feel good!!

As for subliminal messages in Eastenders:laughing: :laughing: (must be a street cleaner must be a street cleaner... need to find wellard..........)

jw19nr
15-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Yes there were a few on my course too.

:eek:

Rach30
15-05-2008, 09:28 PM
:laughing: :laughing: This has made me laugh sooo much !!!