PDA

View Full Version : insurance renewal

haribo
20-10-2011, 01:02 PM
hi , im due to renew my ncma membership and insurance ..i have NO kids on my books and will struggle to find the money so just rang ncma ..asked if i could defer renewing till i get some mindees and she said not..that is an ofsted requirement that we are insured .unless we are pregnant or have a critical illness .not sure if this can be right ? help , does anyone know please x

aly
20-10-2011, 04:11 PM
ring them again and you may find a different answer...it is an ofsted requirement....but only when you have kids {surely?}...my friend deferred for 6 months....although it's under cssiw but still the same.

what would happen if you changed insurers?...you wouldnt be with them...I would just cancel and then renew when you have kids on books.

haribo
20-10-2011, 05:51 PM
thanks aly ..does seem ridiculous -bit like buying car insurance and not having a car!!! might have to ring ofsted and get the official answer ..:panic:

The Juggler
23-10-2011, 08:33 PM
you do not need insurance if you are not minding hon. you may get a slightly cheaper renewal rate though hon than if you have to buy new again - not sure.:panic:

Chatterbox Childcare
23-10-2011, 09:31 PM
I would go back and ask again - if you get the same answer ask where it states this and have your EYFS pack at the ready to check

miffy
24-10-2011, 06:50 AM
That doesn't seem right at all - like the others say I would ask again but I definitely wouldn't renew it's a waste of money.

Miffy xx

Pauline
24-10-2011, 07:27 AM
There was another thread on here in the last few days on the same subject.

Someone said that you must stay insured in case a parent came back and sued you! My thoughts though are if you gave up childminding altogether then you would not keep on your insurance but you still have the risk of a claim :huh:

nikki thomson
24-10-2011, 07:58 AM
Hi, I didn't renew my insurance last summer as it ran out at the end of jul and I had no mindee's during the summer hols do I didn't bother, i started with a new lo in the sep so got it for when I started and had been paid.
It's alot of money to pay if your not earning I couldn't afford to do it until I got a new lo. X

Penny1959
24-10-2011, 09:13 AM
I think it is likely that the person at NCMA either misunderstood or did not check the facts.

There is no need to have insurance if you do not have mindees - so long as you get in place before take on a mindee.

The only issue you may have is if someone visits on a friday evening or over the weekend to start on the Monday - but if that is the case you will just have to explain that you need to phone to get insurance in place and can't have child until you have done so.

Penny :)

Mum2be
07-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Agreed - I don't think you need it unless you are actually minding. :panic:

shmuck9681
01-12-2011, 12:55 PM
just to clarify, I have just spoken to ofsted as I am due to go on maternity soon, and as a new condition of registration, you HAVE to hold insurance at ALL times, regardless of illness, maternity, no children on books, basically you have to pay... :-(

candy cat
01-12-2011, 01:08 PM
go with mm then as cheaper :)

Pauline
01-12-2011, 01:36 PM
just to clarify, I have just spoken to ofsted as I am due to go on maternity soon, and as a new condition of registration, you HAVE to hold insurance at ALL times, regardless of illness, maternity, no children on books, basically you have to pay... :-(

A new condition of registration? Nice of them to let us know isn't it :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info.

Penny1959
01-12-2011, 01:44 PM

Yes this correct!

It is now a requirement to have insurance at all times as one of the conditions of registration. (so sorry my previous post not right as onky just found out)

Will try to find link and put on here

Pauline
01-12-2011, 04:59 PM
Yes this correct!

It is now a requirement to have insurance at all times as one of the conditions of registration. (so sorry my previous post not right as onky just found out)

Will try to find link and put on here

Thanks Penny look forward to seeing the info :thumbsup:

Penny1959
02-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Sorry for delay in getting back on this - I have been checking my facts.

Right so - It is a requirement to have insurance in place AT ALL TIMES to maintain conditions of registration (the same applies to First Aid).

However this is not a new requirement - it has always been part of the EYFS and conditions of registration - it is just that no one has really checked up before on this or even taken action if not in place.

NCMA, Ofsted and some LA's (I know Birmingham are) are now giving out this information - therefore I think it is a fair bet that Ofsted will be checking upon this aspect - and of course if not if place will issue an action - but could in fact de register someone who did not have it in place.

So childminders on maternity leave or taking a break either from choice or because of lack of mndees - will have to continue to pay for insurance (and keep First aid up to date) or resign - but of course it will then cost both money and time to regester (as I know only to well)
I suppose it is a bit like keeping your car insured and with an MOT even if not using it for a while

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but it is better to know than to not to know.

Pauline
02-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks Penny :thumbsup: