PDA

View Full Version : would you buy a 2nd hand carseat?

kindredspirits
15-10-2011, 09:01 AM
I am really curious on other peoples opinions as the general consensus on other forums is that most people would never use a 2nd hand carseat.
I have bought a 2nd hand travel system for my new baby and it came with a carseat. I had planned to use the carseat, the only nagging thing is that the handle that has several different clipping positions seems to have a broken clip on its furthest back position - so it wouldn't affect the carrying of the seat but the handle flops a bit when placed right backwards.

That aside, would you buy a new one or use the one that I've got??

mrs_scottydog
15-10-2011, 09:09 AM
I have to admit that I probably wouldn't get one second hand unless it was from someone that I knew and they could confirm that it hadn't been in any accidents or been bumped really hard. Hx

berkschick
15-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Sorry but I would only use new car seats.

Did they tell yu how the handle broke? It could have been dropped.

Ali56
15-10-2011, 10:41 AM
I know its each to their own and I wouldn't like to knock anyone else's opinion. I wouldn't use a second hand seat at all. DD and I had an accident when she was 2, nasty smack, car written off, seat still looked brand new......Would it protect her a second time? probably not. We replaced it and broke it up so no-one else could use it. I know, from our experience that I am probably more anti than most people would be.
I would, at the very least, ask how the handle was broken, even if it was because the seat was dropped the seat may still be damaged. If you trust the person well and you get a sensible answer then maybe it would be okay.
If you can afford to, I would buy a new one. It doesn't have to be a big brand name and you can get them quite cheaply. They all have to meet the same safety standards. You can get them from about £30.

I think the fact that you have the niggling doubts enough to ask, may give you the answer really?

FussyElmo
15-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Depends on who I was buying it off. Yes I brought a secondhand one from my mindess grandparents probably been used once a week neither been in an accident and was a proper bargain :thumbsup:

muffins
15-10-2011, 12:20 PM
I would only use new unless it came from a very close friend or a family member I could trust with a childs life!

kindredspirits
15-10-2011, 12:28 PM
i spoke to DH this morning and have decided to buy a new one. I can get the same model to fit my travel system new for £65 or I can fit a maxi cosi with easybase to my travel system so just got to work out finances over the next couple of weeks and decide if I want an easybase type fixing or am going to faff around with seatbelts. :D

thanks for your honest opinions, I totally agree with the poster who said if I've got the doubts its for a reason, I don't think I'd be able to forgive myself if we were in an accident and something happened.

Jules12Wed
15-10-2011, 01:01 PM
I've just bought a Koochi buggy with a car seat reduced to £49.99 came with a rain cover too.

karen m
15-10-2011, 01:35 PM
I do use a 2 hand one but it was my grandsons so i no no damage has been done to it

The Juggler
15-10-2011, 02:19 PM
i had one given to me from a mindee mum and my next door neighbour because I knew they had never been in a crash. i wouldn't buy a second hand one from an advert though.

Chimps Childminding
17-10-2011, 12:42 PM
I used second hand carry seats for my triplets, but they were all borrowed off friends so I knew they were ok! Not sure about buying one from an advert though!

LittleMissSparkles
17-10-2011, 12:47 PM
I would say No unless i knew the person closely who i got it off and knew it had not been in an accident and had been well cared for looked after x

ajs
17-10-2011, 01:51 PM
I have to admit that I probably wouldn't get one second hand unless it was from someone that I knew and they could confirm that it hadn't been in any accidents or been bumped really hard. Hx

exactly what i wasgoing to say, although having said that you could probably tell if it had been in an accident