PDA

View Full Version : Confused! Help!?!

Jessiebella
13-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post, so here goes.........

I am 3 weeks into the childminding course and booked on to first aid 20th October, can I send the application forms to ofsted within the next couple of days without officially having passed my first aid?

Also, I'm just in the process of making the house safe (safety gates, socket covers, cupboard locks, have I missed anything important?!?) and tidying up the garden (drain covers, taking up the ivy plants). I was going to get radiator covers and also fence off the Rose bushes in the garden, but don't want to make unnecessary work and extra costs, when from what I've read, these things can be risk assessed, what are your opinions on this matter?

One last question? What is best, online or postal ofsted application?

And another, sorry!Am I right in understanding that you don't have to have everything prim and proper perfect for the pre-reg visit (e.g. Policies and procedures, menus, planning system, toys and resources) as long as you can show your knowledge and awareness, is that acceptable? I'm just worried that my pre-reg date might come before I have time to complete all of the above! Any help or advice would be much appreciated, thanks :) xx

miffy
14-10-2011, 06:58 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum.

You need to complete your first aid course before you are registered so, as you have already booked it, then it should be fine to send in your application forms.

I do not have radiator covers but I have risk assessed how I will keep the children safe - you can ask your inspector about this at pre-reg.

You're right you don't need to have everything in place at your pre-reg visit but you will need to have knowledge of the EYFS - work through and answer the questions in the pre-reg booklet, that will form the basis of your inspection.

NCMA do a booklet about becoming a childminder which you might find useful
http://www.*************/PDF/becomechildminder_eng_v2.pdf

Good luck
Miffy xx

sarah707
14-10-2011, 07:01 AM
Whether you can apply before finishing the courses depends on where you live - I know here in Cheshire for example you have to do the 12 week course and the first aid before they give you the forms.

However if your local people say it's ok and you want to try to hurry things along then I'd go with online application there's less chance of things getting lost...

Risk assess everything a child will come into contact with - you can always make changes later if your Ofsted inspector thinks it's necessary.

Do as much as you can and make a list of things to do to share with the inspector - this will show your commitment to getting it all ready.

Good luck! :D

rosebud
14-10-2011, 08:28 AM
I don't have radiator covers I just turn the thermostat on the radiators down to a safe level when minding. Check you don't have poisonous plants in the garden and I personally wouldn't fence off the rose bushes, you just need to consider how you will keep children safe.

Jessiebella
14-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Thanks for your replies, very helpful indeed!
I'm going to apply to ofsted over the weekend and get the ball rolling and concentrate on doing risk assessments so I can show how the children will be safe ready for the pre-reg visit :)
Thanks again, this has given me the confidence boost I needed, things were beginning to stress me out!