PDA

View Full Version : Totally different career path

newmummy11
12-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Hi there,

I have had my own beauty salon for over a year now, i started the business pregnant and had my baby end of December last year, i work 4 days a week and would love to spend more time with my little girl to watch her grow up and enjoy having time with her.
I love kids and feel that they warm to me so i wanted to change my career path and start childminding. Obviously on paper i have no "experience" with working with children but it has been something i've thought about a great deal and want to start the ball rolling so to speak.

Anyone been in the same position and had a positive outcome? im based in South Yorkshire so what would i do first about training etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

sarah707
12-10-2011, 05:19 PM
It's perfectly possible to childmind without experience - but I do feel you need a love of children, patience of a saint and a liking for paperwork :rolleyes:

Contact your local people first of all and ask about courses. Your children's centre will be able to help.

Don't forget to let us know how you get on :D

Tinkerbell75
17-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Hi,

Im in the same position myself, ive got 2 children now 8 and 6 and was lucky enough not to have to go out to work when they were young as my husband and i ran our own business so i either worked from home or they came to the office with me, my husband and i have now split though so had to sell the company and get back into working for someone which ive done for the last year but it hasnt worked out, child care being the biggest issue as my finishing time was sometimes later than the time the childminder stoped working at 6pm and just couldnt find one that worked later plus i missed out on sportsdays ect and felt so guilty as id always been there for them.

Anyway im thinking of being a childminder myself as i love being with kids and like the flexibility of it so i can still attend the school things albeit other children in tow.

My main concern is if it is going to pay enough to cover the bils.

If anyone who has been a childminder with a success story could get in touch i would be most gratefull.

Ive researched the basics on how to get started its just taking that plunge and doing it :panic:

Also any help with where i advertise or look for someone needing childcare would be gratefully received

thanks x