PDA

View Full Version : Confused on planning

PinkFairy24
11-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Oh dear, I am confused on this planning. My mindee has just turned 2 and my daughter is almost 20 months. I don't really plan as such as in themes because i think they are too young.

I have observed that they both loves dolls, dinosaurs and painting amongst other things. I have tried to fit activities around this as in making play-doh dinosaurs and making a home for the dinosaurs outside in the nice dry leaves while talking about Autumn etc. We have also coloured in dinosaur pictures and make loads of dinosaur sounds. Am not sure wha else to link to this?

Also where do I write it all up? I planned an activity with jelly and dinosaurs last week, I set some little plastic dinosaurs in the jelly and they both had fun digging them out with a spoon and getting their hands messy and then washing the dinosaurs. We talked about the jelly being cold and sticky and how it smelt of strawberry! Would I just write this up as an activity and then link EYFS to it? Hhmm is this a short plan or a focused one? I'm not even sure if it is a plan, as to me it was just a one off activity but I could link next steps to it? Did I miss the plot?

Please can you help, thanks loads, Xxx

rosebud
11-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Even though you didn't write a plan you still planned an activity based on the children's current interests which is exactly what you should be doing.

I would write this up as an observation of the 2 year old - what they did, what they said, how they interacted with you and your dd. I would then link it to interests, (dinosaurs, investigating textures, etc) and to learning areas (CLL -language for thinking / communicating, CD - exploring media & materials, etc) I would then suggest some next steps based on this - other messy play activities, providing other resources relating to dinosaurs. (books?)

You don't need to write an observation for every activity you do - select a range to cover different learning areas and not every observation needs to be of a planned activity, you might just observe that the 2 year old told you they needed a wee - next step to discuss potty training with parents.

I hope that all makes sense

PinkFairy24
13-10-2011, 04:28 PM
Thank you so much for your reply! Sorry I have been a little late in saying something, have been having some bad eye days and needing to take my lenses out for a rest.

That makes a lot of sense! So for planning I could just go forward with the next steps from this? Sounds good to me!

Thanks again, Xxx