PDA

View Full Version : Teachers.

bluebell3
09-10-2011, 08:42 PM
I've noticed that there are a few childminders who are teachers on the forum and wondered if anyone had started as a childminder and become a teacher or whether you are experienced teachers that for whatever reason - family commitments or whatever have decided to become childminders?

I am loving childminding but all the childminders are so quiet here I've been assessing my future viability and what my options are. I was looking into the EYPS but then started looking at going into teaching. Just wondered what everyone's experience is and if anyone had any advice?

sarah707
10-10-2011, 06:52 AM
I was thinking about going back into teaching a few years ago so I went to my local school and had a chat with the head.

She gave me a list of courses etc that I would need to update my training before she would consider employing me.

Hth :D

rosebud
10-10-2011, 09:19 AM
You can study / train in a way that leaves your options open. I have thought about teaching for many years but love being at home and being my own boss. I have done a Foundation Degree in Early years and now have the option of topping that up to a BA (honours) and then do a PGCE if I decide in the future I want to teach or I could do the long pathway route to EYPS. At the moment I'm happy not studying and spending time with my family and focusing on my current chosen career of childminding but I have the option in the future if that changes.

The Juggler
10-10-2011, 09:14 PM
i originally did my fd and top up ba hons so I could teach but then realised that actually I wanted to stay with minding (or similar) and also there was no way I could afford to take year out to do the PGCE course (as it's full time and you cannot work as well)

Twinkles
10-10-2011, 10:12 PM
If you have a degree already you can do a GTP. This is what my daughter is doing. It is school based with several days at uni each month. She is getting paid more now to train than when she was a TA.