PDA

View Full Version : Language barrier

lorraine04
09-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Hi guys.
I have a 2 year old Lithuanian girl with very limited english, Mother also has very limited english. I am trying to find resources to help us communicate better and also to help her english. I have bought some Alphabet and picture cards to help her but would love to find something of her own language to help me too. I went to the library but no lithuanian translated books.. :idea:
Don't get me wrong we get by but i would love to know what she is saying to me when she has giddy outbursts. I sometimes struggle with my observations too as i can only go on what i can physically see her doing and not what she says.

Any ideas?

sarah707
09-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Picture cards are a great idea.

Also how about asking mum to put some home stories and rhymes onto a voice recorder so you can listen to them together.

Not sure how you'd understand her though I think that would be tough although learning a few words in Lithuanian (check with mum for pronunciation) so you can communicate with her would be lovely.

Hth :D

Penny1959
09-10-2011, 12:23 PM
I have looked after quite a few children with English as their second language - and currently have a 2.5 yr old Romianian child and a 20m Polish child.

With all child I learn the childs key words - such as family names and comfort objects and food. I find a very useful word is the one for finished. I am actually very poor at pronounciation (and spelling!) so I also ask the parents to help me so that the child understands what I am trying to say.

Some languages are a lot more difficult to find resources for - but ask the parents if they could get some books sent over by family members.

Penny :)

tracey36
10-10-2011, 08:36 AM
i look after a romanian little girl with limited english i went onto google translate and found some of the basic words i would need to be able to communicate been a great help

Greengrass74
10-10-2011, 08:46 AM
This site might help a little

http://www.linguanaut.com/english_lithuanian.htm

munch149
10-10-2011, 09:07 AM
I asked mum some key word and also wrote them phonically as they sounded to me so that I knew how to say them. Don't worry too much tho they pick up English so quick. I have 3 year old. No English when she started in march. Now I can have a conversation with her.