PDA

View Full Version : visitor book

nipper
05-10-2011, 11:32 AM
I know, I know, shoot me, but I was looking at some of the older posts on here about visitor books and was amazed that people are not choosing to use them. By amazed, I mean positively because it's not as if we don't have enough extra paperwork to contend with. I was under the impression that it was a legal requirement to record visitors to our homes, but then again we are not like nurseries with people coming and going are we? I was only wondering because I have a prospective parent and her two children coming after school when I have a mindee present.
One less form to fill out and sign is great by me. I like the idea that some of you use a daily personal diary and not wishing to appear too lazy (why reinvent the wheel?) could someone tell me what sort of things you include in this?
Thanks
Emma

rosebud
05-10-2011, 01:26 PM
No its not a legal requirement to have a visitors book but you do need to consider how you will keep children safe when people visit your setting. I.e not leaving children alone with anyone who is not CRB checked.

rickysmiths
05-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Hi No you do not have to have a visitors book.

I was inspected a few weeks ago and got outstanding in all aspects of Safeguarding, Risk Assessment and keeping safe.

I have never had a Visitors Log this is my home and not an institution.

I make some notes in my own diary if I think they are important but I don't record visitors in their either. There is no need because if I have a visitor in the house the minded children are never left alone with them so they could not possibly come to any harm. If there was a fire the visitor would exit with me and the childen and if by some fluke they did not I would know there was an extra person in the house. If the Fire/Catastropie was so bad that I couldn't tell someone then the chances are the Visitors log would be history as well!

I have Risk Assessed all this and the Inspector did compliment me on my RAs saying she had rarely seen such comprehesive ones. She did not mention the lack of a Visitors Log once.

I must say though I never do a first interview during minding hours. I don't think it is fair to bring strangers in when the mindees are here. I also feel I can't give the mindees and the prospective parents the attention they need so I do first interviews in the evening or at the weekend and if the parents are really interested then they can come and see me work but I don't have to give them the same kind of attetion. Just my choice though.

Penny1959
05-10-2011, 02:54 PM
I record all sorts in my diary

Risks if I come across them, fridge temp once a week, smoke alarms once a week, if expecting visitors (aids in head planning for day / week and ensures I don't forget if planned in advance) things I buy and especially things from charity shops / boot sales, forth coming training , things had in post, phone calls made and recieved that are important and anything else that I want to record - and I only record if it has a purpose to ME.

Penny :)

sarah707
05-10-2011, 04:53 PM
A friend of mine was inspected a few days ago and has it as an action on her report that she uses a visitor log...

She was nervous and forgot to ask the inspector to sign in.

So it really does depend on where you live and which inspector you get.

Hth :D

onceinabluemoon
05-10-2011, 06:49 PM
A friend of mine was inspected a few days ago and has it as an action on her report that she uses a visitor log...

She was nervous and forgot to ask the inspector to sign in.

So it really does depend on where you live and which inspector you get.

Hth :D

I dont understand, how can somebody get an action for something you don't have to do?

rickysmiths
05-10-2011, 06:55 PM
I dont understand, how can somebody get an action for something you don't have to do?

Exactly you can't and the friend should challenge that when she gets her report to review. That is rediculous.

My Inspector banged on abput the use of Daily Diaries and practically gave me a lecture on why they should be use and it was the most rediculous reasoning you ever heard. Despite her obvious personal feeling about them she couldn't put an Action on me for not using them with the parents of the children on the day because we don't have to do them.

We must all get a bit bolder about this it is the only way thet Ofsted will make Prospects and Tribal tow the line. If we don't complain, in writing Ofsted can't do anything.

Penny1959
05-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Exactly you can't and the friend should challenge that when she gets her report to review. That is rediculous.

My Inspector banged on abput the use of Daily Diaries and practically gave me a lecture on why they should be use and it was the most rediculous reasoning you ever heard. Despite her obvious personal feeling about them she couldn't put an Action on me for not using them with the parents of the children on the day because we don't have to do them.

We must all get a bit bolder about this it is the only way thet Ofsted will make Prospects and Tribal tow the line. If we don't complain, in writing Ofsted can't do anything.

Agree with Rickysmiths you CANNOT get an action for something that is not a requirement of EYFS. This must be challenged. Yes they can advise would be good practice or even recommend - they can grade lower for not having the 'extras' over and above the min standards of EYFS - but can not put an action.

Ofsted say time and time again if we do not put in complaints they do not something is wrong - therefore ladies and gents if you have reason to - complain :D

sarah707
05-10-2011, 09:41 PM
I have of course recommended that she complains but she is a new childminder and I am not sure she thinks it worth the bother.

She is also I think waiting to see how her report reads.

I am very cross on her behalf... get more wooden toys (totally subjective judgement) and use a visitor book (not a requirement).

Sometimes I think they find things for the sake of finding them :(

Penny1959
05-10-2011, 09:48 PM
I have of course recommended that she complains but she is a new childminder and I am not sure she thinks it worth the bother.

She is also I think waiting to see how her report reads.

I am very cross on her behalf... get more wooden toys (totally subjective judgement) and use a visitor book (not a requirement).

Sometimes I think they find things for the sake of finding them :(

It is a good idea to wait to see the report - as sometimes the inspectors says the wrong words or realise when writting the report that they can not actually say that.

Sarah if it is an action about a visitor book I am sure you will support your friend with putting in a complaint if she wants to.

I actually think those of us with more experience / confidence should help those who worry about putting in complaints or challenging - as there is nothing stopping us from advising or even suggesting wording - provided the person concerned actually puts in the complaint themselves.