PDA

View Full Version : New Surrey CC Learning Journeys

Jods
04-10-2011, 07:13 PM
In pre-school we are now using the new pro-formas for the Learning Journeys which are replacing the old Surrey Learning journeys x

They are incredibly simple and very good as they now allow you to observe, summarise and then plan to the EYFS individualy, I will be using the new format for childminding, just wondered if anyone else is using them, or if anyone wants me to share them x :clapping:

jmoff
04-10-2011, 07:40 PM
really? I knew they were doing new ones but havent heard anything from anyone.better email them to send me a few! thanks for letting us know x

Tily Bud
04-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Sounds interesting x I'd love a copy please x

cs01
04-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Are they the ones where you have to shade in the sqaures depending on where the children are at? I'm intrigued, could you email me a copy?

Twinkles
04-10-2011, 07:56 PM
I'm needing me some of those !

solly
04-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Sounds good would love a copy :)

Jods
04-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Are they the ones where you have to shade in the sqaures depending on where the children are at? I'm intrigued, could you email me a copy?

The first page is for observations etc

the second is a summary to the six areas for those obs

the third is for individual planning (where you find the gaps and use your eyfs book to plan your next steps)

and the fourth is the one where you track the age ranges in the EYFS

I am happy to email them on, just inbox me, unless I am alowed to pop them on here for everyone, I have completed one also and when i have scanned and removed sensitive data can provide an example x

but in all seriousness what takes me 1 hr per learning journey took me 20 mins x

cs01
04-10-2011, 08:25 PM
The first page is for observations etc

the second is a summary to the six areas for those obs

the third is for individual planning (where you find the gaps and use your eyfs book to plan your next steps)

and the fourth is the one where you track the age ranges in the EYFS

I am happy to email them on, just inbox me, unless I am alowed to pop them on here for everyone, I have completed one also and when i have scanned and removed sensitive data can provide an example x

but in all seriousness what takes me 1 hr per learning journey took me 20 mins x

Have sent you a pm. Thanks x

Pauline
04-10-2011, 08:29 PM

It really depends on copyright Sam, wouldn't want you getting in trouble for sharing something that should not be shared, if you get what I mean. Best to check first with whoever produced them. :thumbsup:

wendywu
04-10-2011, 09:41 PM
[
QUOTE=cs01;992104]Are they the ones where you have to shade in the sqaures depending on where the children are at? I'm intrigued, could you email me a copy?

[/QUOTE]

Is it these ones Sam, do you need to colour in the squares?

I dont like these ones at all, almost the same as the birth to three.

KAZBAZ55
06-10-2011, 08:11 PM
In pre-school we are now using the new pro-formas for the Learning Journeys which are replacing the old Surrey Learning journeys x

They are incredibly simple and very good as they now allow you to observe, summarise and then plan to the EYFS individualy, I will be using the new format for childminding, just wondered if anyone else is using them, or if anyone wants me to share them x :clapping:

Hi,

Could i have a copy too please...pretty please!!

Thank you in advance, karen x:littleangel:

guest3
06-10-2011, 09:26 PM
I too would love a copy please Sam :)

Helcatt
06-10-2011, 10:49 PM
i too would like to have a look please. Is it better to send you a PM with my email?

Ta

HX

Jods
07-10-2011, 12:32 PM
I have spoken to my EYCO and she has said I can share them, there is no copyright x

So I am happy to pop them on here for all to see x just tip me the wink, am still happy to email them on, just PM me Email addys x

wendywu
07-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Could you pop them on here please so we can have a peek. :thumbsup:

Jods
07-10-2011, 01:44 PM
erm :blush: lets hope this has worked, used to doing photos not files x

now just got to work out how to put up completed sheets that I have done x

Attached are the new proformas for the Surrey Cc Learning Journey and then copies of a filled out journey.

The first page is for recording observations, photos etc., then you highlight the areas of learning on the right hand panel that the obs/photos cover.

The second page allows you to summarise your obs, in the six areas of learning.

The third page allows you to then plan for the areas you need to cover, this is when you need to cross reference with the EYFS book.

I hope this all makes sense, now my ECO told me that we were to use these instead of the old learning journeys, and that we should fill one out per child approx twice a term to provide a 'snapshot' of the child's development, and that the individual planning sheet we then use one at a time until achieved, so giving us at least 12 planning articles per child per term.

As a child minder depending on who your LO's are and when they come that this would be a reasonable amount and I think is probably less than most of you are already doing.

Jods
07-10-2011, 02:03 PM
These are the completed samples which I did last week, they show the obs page, then a summary of obs page and then the the individual planning which you plan to each area using interests, one area a week x

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee153/pilchard_bucket/completedLJsheet.jpg
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee153/pilchard_bucket/scan0001.jpg
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee153/pilchard_bucket/completedLJsheet2-1.jpg

hope this helps, MODS feel free to sort out my files :blush:

wendywu
07-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Thanks Sam. We were given these on a planning and obs course last year.

But i must admit i prefer the old LJ i just think they look so much more professional.

Some of us have changed over and some have not. I use some of the sheets but not all of them.

I would be interested to see what Sarah thinks of them. :thumbsup:

Jods
08-10-2011, 08:44 AM
I agree, but our EYCO has told us they are a work in progress, and want as much feedback as possible to assist with improvement. I like the way its all on one sheet, for me when I can have up to 9 key children, hoofing through the pages is a total bind, and it could take me 1 hr to complete what I needed in just one folder, I have done 3 of 6 this year and I now have it down to 10 mins, which is a considerable improvement in my eyes x

One of my colleagues is staying on the old journeys, her choice, but she was a little miffed when my boss told her she would have to print her own old style learning journeys at her own cost, as we were no longer supporting them through work, I have two old style learning journeys, I can post them to anyone who wants them, as Surrey are no longer producing them x

I am tempted to use them, but tweek them for my own personal use as there are a few things I think can be done better x

wendywu
08-10-2011, 05:45 PM
[Q

I
am tempted to use them, but tweek them for my own personal use as there are a few things I think can be done better x

[/QUOTE]

Yes go on, i think Ofsted would be impressed, reflective practice and all that. :thumbsup:

But if you dont i will have them off you, i would pay for the P&P of course. But if i were you i would be tempted to try and earn a few brownie points with Ofsted. :thumbsup:

Blaze
08-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Wendy is it the old style LJ's you're after - I think I have some in the cuboard...will look tomorrow, if you want them, they're yours! x

babs
08-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Thank u.. Sam

wendywu
09-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Wendy is it the old style LJ's you're after - I think I have some in the cuboard...will look tomorrow, if you want them, they're yours! x

Thank you Blaze, yes i like the old ones better than the new ones. Just an old fashioned girl at heart thats me he he :D

Pauline
13-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Thanks Sam and thanks for checking the copyright rules :thumbsup:

miffy
13-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks for sharing Sam :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

Winnie
13-10-2011, 08:36 PM
I hope this all makes sense, now my ECO told me that we were to use these instead of the old learning journeys, and that we should fill one out per child approx twice a term to provide a 'snapshot' of the child's development, and that the individual planning sheet we then use one at a time until achieved, so giving us at least 12 planning articles per child per term.As a child minder depending on who your LO's are and when they come that this would be a reasonable amount and I think is probably less than most of you are already doing.

sorry Sam i must be really tired or really thick- what is meant by planning articles?
thank you for posting this, i'm always trying to find a better way of doing things and love looking at ideas :thumbsup:

edit: not to worry i've worked it out- having a senile moment :o

Jods
17-10-2011, 02:22 PM
tis okay hun :)

The planning sheet gives you the 6 areas to plan to, if you do 2 sheets a half a term that gives you 12 things you plan for in your planning, (so 12 weeks in effect) and that the planning sheet can be used AS you planning x

The only thing I would say as an improvement, it needs a way to connect it op your long term/monthly/continuous provision x

Winnie
18-10-2011, 09:50 AM
I have just totally reorganised the way I do things based on your sheets :) thank you. They are so simple and I’ve seen this type of system before but discounted it because it looked too simple- but I’ve now realised (only taken me 3 yrs :laughing: )that simple means straightforward :thumbsup: and will do the job and save me much time :)

Roro1981
20-01-2012, 01:46 PM
When I did planning observation and assessment training in October I was told to use the 1st sheet as a weekly observation sheet so any obs for the week go on it then just to link it to future observations to show that you are following the next steps and that we didn't need to do the other sheet on children under 3, only on those over 3 as a review/planning every 6-8 weeks, so this is what I do. I do also use a group observation tracker sheet (tick sheet) to see which areas are being observed and which I need to focus on in the next observation period.

I hope that makes sense, I do find that this is a lot easier and less time consuming than the old LJs.

BuggsieMoo
21-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Thanks Sam. We were given these on a planning and obs course last year.

But i must admit i prefer the old LJ i just think they look so much more professional.

Some of us have changed over and some have not. I use some of the sheets but not all of them.

I would be interested to see what Sarah thinks of them. :thumbsup:

Hi
Do you have a copy of the old LJ just out of interest so we can get a reflection on the difference please?
Bugs x

wendywu
21-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Yes I do have some, but I'm not sure how I can show you. They are very comprehensive and come in two separate parts.