PDA

View Full Version : Childminding lack of children due to recession?

larlinlisa
26-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Hello

I was wondering if people are finding that due to the new goverment cuts that childminding is slowly cutting down?

I was talking to nursery and their numbers have nearly halved due to mothers just having to give up work now?

How are you all finding it?

Regard

Lisa x

miffy
26-09-2011, 01:10 PM
TBH I am OK - mostly full and turning down work. That can all change very quickly though.

Miffy xx

Greengrass74
26-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Touch wood at the moment we are full, have been for the last 6 months, but like miffy says, that can all change, unfortunatly that is the nature of the beast for childminding.

singingcactus
26-09-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm full at the moment. I was hoping to cut right down to just one full time child next month. But instead I have gone up to 5 again :(. For me though it is my location, and serious lack of childcare options here. Hurry up you two who are getting posted here!

Zoomie
26-09-2011, 01:22 PM
I've had a 4 day vacancy since May. A number of other childminders local to me also have vacancies.

Don't know if it is mum just staying home, the recession, market saturation or something else or a combo of everything ...

I do have some children and 9h days but generally only with 1-2 children, and then an extra 1 or 2 after school, so suppose I shouldn't complain too much.

snufflepuff
26-09-2011, 01:31 PM
One of my current mindees has reduced her hours because Mum's hours have been cut at work. And I had a child leave me to be cared for my Grandma in March this year because parents couldn't afford childcare even with vouchers etc.
Things are very quiet- I've only had about 8-10 enquiries since I registered (in Feb 2010) and I know of a new minder who has been registered 3 months and still had no interest.

natalie28
26-09-2011, 07:33 PM
I was approved in April, I am very surprised with the lack of calls, emails re childcare.
I have 2 mindees before and after school twice a week. I dont know what to do as this is not enough to carry on :-(

fatima
26-09-2011, 07:51 PM
I have only been registered since august and the only childminder in my area I have 2 after school 5 days a weeek and are with me full time when school holidays 1 mindee for 3 full days and 2 mindees for 2 full days so i count myself really lucky as i was not sure there would be a demand for a childminder as there is a nursery and a nursery/creche who also do after schoolies but again agree with other this could all change very quickly.

The Juggler
26-09-2011, 08:38 PM
i'm ok at the moment but I'm lucky that most of my parents are teachers or school staff so not too many redundancies due to private business cuts and teachers are not an area being cut by LA's at present.

However, I know lots of parents cutting hours due to work/tax credit changes and partner redundancies.:(

JCrakers
27-09-2011, 01:12 PM
I had no phonecalls from Nov10 until a couple of weeks ago. Now things seem to be picking up at last with a family taking two days and another wanting 2 days after Xmas.

There are a lot of childminders in my town though....probably 30 and probably about 6-7 nurseries :angry: We already had a lot of nurseries when nunu set up a few years ago

Becky

larlinlisa
27-09-2011, 03:56 PM
thank you all for your replies x

Tatjana
29-09-2011, 06:38 PM
I've been trying to start up again since June, after being on maternity leave. It's just not happening, only 2 enquiries, 1 of which was for after christmas and the other a time waster :panic:

rosebud
29-09-2011, 07:31 PM
I was graded outstanding in May and I have always been full for years. Now they've all started school and since August I have had 3 - yes 3, full time vacancies!! I have no under 5's work and only one after schooler for 2 evenings. I currently work 4 hours a week. (hence why I'm on here so much) I live on my own with two children and it has been awful, I haven't paid my mortgage for 2 months.
I had an email today though to confirm a start date for two pre-school siblings, part time but anything is good at the moment and also had a phone call for a full-timer for January, parent is coming on monday. I'm really hoping that this means that things are getting better!

justdaz
29-09-2011, 07:34 PM
At the moment I am full and turning work away/passing on to others.

As others have said it can change in an instant. £ of my LO's will all leave next summer which could be a worry.:panic:

justdaz
29-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Oopps sorry!! that should have read '3 of my LO's' and not '£':blush: :blush:

Carrie1983
30-09-2011, 09:14 AM
I am in the SW and things are fine here. Nurseries are full and have wait lists; rural area and quite a few childminders but I am newly registered and already full. Well, I have one under 5 space left for a Monday and one 5-8 space left. So I am as full as I want to be!

I think it's a 2-edged sword. While some mums have lost their jobs or leave because they can't afford childcare (which was always the case, even pre-recessions), many mums who previously wouldn't have worked, are being driven out to work by rising household bills and costs - you've got increases in fuel and food costs for starters!

So I think it's swings and roundabouts and for those who are just making ends meet, a childminder is often a more affordable option!!

Carrie1983
30-09-2011, 09:23 AM
i'm ok at the moment but I'm lucky that most of my parents are teachers or school staff so not too many redundancies due to private business cuts and teachers are not an area being cut by LA's at present.

However, I know lots of parents cutting hours due to work/tax credit changes and partner redundancies.:(

I am a teacher and teaching vacancies are being cut; it isn't always obvious because the teacher that is made redundant is later replaced by an NQT who costs lots less. The govt keep paying out these bursaries to get people into teaching, but there are hardly any jobs, which is why they just extended the supply limit after qualifying, from 16 months to 5 years!! My mum lost her house last year after working in the same school for 11 years, earning nearly 40k, and being made redundant with 3 others at the school, because the LEA (rhondda-cynon-taff) made cuts. A few months later an NQT was brought into a slightly different titled post but basically doing her job! Still, she was lucky to only lose her house - one of the others had a heart attack.

But I do like the idea of teacher contracts because of the term time only aspect.

ruby
30-09-2011, 09:32 PM
at the end of june it was looking like we would be quite with mindees moving and going to school but we are now full.
i would say it 50/50 here with some C/m full and others struggling.

Bluebell
02-10-2011, 05:21 PM
I live in an area where there has always been a desperate shortage of childminders and they have always been full and had to have variations so they can increase their numbers to accommodate demand. Since registering in April I've barely had any enquiries and some of the childminders that said they would pass on my details and have very good reputations are struggling to fill their own spaces.

Lack of Work is a factor as is income versus childcare costs. Mums can now have a full 12 months maternity leave and local pre-schools can take from 2 years old now whereas previously it tended to be 3. Many people I know rely on friends and family or try and work shifts that can be worked around their partners. Its hard times for everyone and I don't really see it getting any better.

Bluebell
02-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Carrie - I am also in a fairly rural area in the southwest and i would say that demand for childminders has definitely gone down in this area. whereabouts are you?

Bushpig
02-10-2011, 06:23 PM
I have a few inquiries a week.. am full to bursting, and ever so grateful for that. No one is giving up work here it seems.

yummymummy
04-10-2011, 01:16 PM
I am in a London suburb and it is so quiet here, I am as full as I want to be but only from repeat business and had been advertising a 2 day vacancy since last November and only just filled it again with would you believe the child who left in the first place's mum going back to work again!
I also work in a Childrens Centre and everyone knows their jobs are safe for a year but are really worried for next year as so many cuts have already been introduced and closures forecast. Gloomy outlook I'm afraid.

newkid
04-10-2011, 07:46 PM
I think it has gone quieter. Not sure if that is because the government has changed the advertising of our vacancies though. It is supposed to go back to something like the old system again.

mad as the kids
18-10-2011, 08:36 PM
It's a bit of everything near me. Childminders have vacancies and a new day nursery is opening in the area. Yet I know of 3 newly registered minders and another 5 to be registered in the new year. As well as the redundancies etc. Why oh why are they registering more minders when there are spaces by the dozen to be filled??? :angry:

Hence after giving birth to my youngest son in March, I had a grand total of 6 days off. Working up till 9 hours before I gave birth at 13 days overdue, All through the fear of losing children I wouldn't get back!!! :blush:

sarahc
19-10-2011, 12:39 PM
hi all, I'm also in the south west and only started minding in september. I'm having to turn work away constantly...at least 1 a week! It seems by looking at the posts that the south west is where the work is at the moment. I've already had a lady sign on with me for next september as all other childminders/nurseries in the area are full! Sorry to hear so many of you are not getting the work as easily. I'm sure things will pick up...we just have to hang in there until it does.

Olly Y
28-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Just got registered in a last 2 weeks been looking for children but got nothing yet. Keep trying as I dont want to be out of job just before Christmas...:panic: