PDA

View Full Version : Bed wetting

clio0602
22-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Morning everyone!

Was just after some advice for dd who's 3.5. We have only just stopped nappies at night and for a wk she was great no accidents at all. This past week however she has wet the bed every night and last night it was twice.

She has no drinks after 6pm and goes to the toilet before bed so not sure what to do. Should we continue or go back to pull ups at Nt? We are both sooo tired

Thank you xx

PixiePetal
22-09-2011, 08:19 AM
I had to lift my children before I went to bed - they both went back to sleep straight away and sometimes did not know I had been in to them! Even as DS got older I would guide him to bathroom and he would do a wee in zombie mode!

I would say it is still early days for your DD and as long as there is no medical problem then it is just one of those things. My DS was a bed wetter on and off till age 11 when he had to have a circumcision to sort out his problem - obviously not a problem your DD would have :thumbsup: never wet since I (and he) am pleased to say

Becci26
22-09-2011, 08:57 AM
hi,

personally I wouldn't revert back to pull ups as it can confuse the little ones IMO. Just keep doing what your doing and I'm sure the bed wetting will lessen with time, unfortunately it just means you will be constantly washing bedding !

nipper
22-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Hello, as long as it isn't becoming an issue in that you are grumbling in front of her every time you find the wet sheets, I appreciate it is hard but you just have to sort of say "oh no, what happened?" and then leave it at that. Your little one musn't be made to feel bad because of what she has done (I'm sure you don't do this at all)
I definitely wouldn't revert back to the pull ups though, as you've got to try and train her bladder to get stronger and hold more water for a longer period of time. My son is nearly eight, but because we were putting him on the loo every night before we went to bed, it sort of backfired, because every time we went out during the day, he would say "I need the toilet, I need the toilet." It was almost as if we had inadvertently conditioned him (or his bladder) that it needed emptying at more frequent intervals. Since we've stopped getting him up. he can now last much much longer.
Hi sister by comparison has a cast iron bladder and needs reminding to go to the toilet when she wakes up!. She was out of nappies at 2½ and then nappies at night about 6 months later. You are doing the right thing by reducing what your daughter has to drink before bedtime, but I think she'll go through when she's ready. As long as there is nothing medical as Pixie said, she will get there!
I bought off ebay, a couple of nice waterproof (on one side) mats which are big enough for a toddler bed. They are much softer on one side and don't have that annoying rustling sound every time tour little one turns over. I know mothercare do the square mats, which you could lie her on directly over the top of the sheet...it might save on your washing!
In short, keep perservering as it might just be a bit of a blip and you're not the only mum to worry about this.
Good luck, I can appreciate what you are going through
Emma

rosebud
22-09-2011, 09:51 AM
Layer the sheets on the mattress so you have two sets on - so plastic one, then normal one, then another plastic one and another normal one. It won't stop her wetting but when she does you just strip off the top sheet and top plastic one and put her straight back into bed, you don't even need to put the lights on. I know you still have to get up but it makes it as quick and easy as possible. In the morning when you have more energy sort it out so its ready for the next night.

jane5
22-09-2011, 11:04 AM
I would put her back in pull ups. I know that lots of people say no you will confuse her ect.... but I do not believe she will get confused at age 3. Some children's bladders are just not ready and if she is not wetting because she is to lazy to go to the toilet then she is not ready.

I have 5 children, 3 were dry at night at age 2, 1 wasn't ready until age 4.
My youngest dd is 3.3 years now and has a couple of dry nights but the majority are not so I feel she is not ready yet and it is not a race.

I wouldn't go through the stress of it and I dont want dd upset that she has wet the bed. I would go back to pull ups and carry on putting on the toilet before bed and as soon as she wakes up ect and when she is ready it will just happen.

I would rather have no extra washing and decent nights sleep :blush:

Good lick what ever you decide to do :thumbsup:

The Juggler
22-09-2011, 03:58 PM
I would put her back in pull ups. I know that lots of people say no you will confuse her ect.... but I do not believe she will get confused at age 3. Some children's bladders are just not ready and if she is not wetting because she is to lazy to go to the toilet then she is not ready.

I have 5 children, 3 were dry at night at age 2, 1 wasn't ready until age 4.
My youngest dd is 3.3 years now and has a couple of dry nights but the majority are not so I feel she is not ready yet and it is not a race.

I wouldn't go through the stress of it and I dont want dd upset that she has wet the bed. I would go back to pull ups and carry on putting on the toilet before bed and as soon as she wakes up ect and when she is ready it will just happen.

I would rather have no extra washing and decent nights sleep :blush:

Good lick what ever you decide to do :thumbsup:

dd and ds were not dry at night until a year after they were dry during the day. dd was in reception year already when we tried it cold turkey half way through that year she did it but I would have put her back in pull ups at night if she wasn't ready.

clio0602
22-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Thanks for your advice everyone. I'm not making a big deal about it as she comes through to me upset and says 'I've wet myself' I've just been stripping her and sit her on loo while I change bed then wash dress and put her back to bed.

Thing is she stil sleeps with me when she wakes at some stage in the night so, if I got her up to put on the loo she would be straight in my bed, and last night she wet both our beds although I have sleep mats under the sheets.

I have decided to give it another night and then will probably go back to nappies if we have another night of accidents. I don't think it would confuse her as I'd be expecting her to be dry but would be less stress for us both during the night.

X