PDA

View Full Version : Help with Rented Properties

JennyF
21-09-2011, 07:44 PM
hello all, I am in the process of training to be a childminder and looking forward to it but have hit a bit of a snag. We live in rented accommodation and whilst our landlord has given me consent to childmind there seems to be problems with his Buildings Insurance. They have advised him that by my working as a childminder the property is no longer domestic and has to be insured as commercial and they have also been advised that our rent should go up as I am now a business. Is this normal? I have been given the impression that insurers are not happy about childinders in rented properties and would appreciate hearing any advice or experiences from others.
Many thanks. :)

Vickster
21-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Hi Jenny.

I am not too sure about the answer, but I know there are plenty of childminders that do operate from rented properties, so hopefully they can give you some advice.

Vicky

rickysmiths
22-09-2011, 08:33 AM
You are not opening a Day Nursery for heavens sake! Childminding does not change the use of a building from Domestic to Commercial use. I would give your local planning dept a ring and check if they need planning permission for you to childmind.

Some areas do, though most don't as long as you do not exceed the max of 6 under eights.

I do not and never have had Commercial Buildings insurance nor has it ever been suggested as a need. Though I haven't cm from a rented property I did start my cm career from a Leasehold flat with no problems and worked from there for 10 years.

I would go back to the Landlord and get him to queation it with his insurers. Sounds as if someone hasn't understood.

JennyF
22-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Thank you for your comments. My Develpment Worker is popping round next week to chat to me about it. My landlord has gone back to their insurers, hopefully it'll all be resolved! :)

stardust
22-09-2011, 11:27 AM
hello all, I am in the process of training to be a childminder and looking forward to it but have hit a bit of a snag. We live in rented accommodation and whilst our landlord has given me consent to childmind there seems to be problems with his Buildings Insurance. They have advised him that by my working as a childminder the property is no longer domestic and has to be insured as commercial and they have also been advised that our rent should go up as I am now a business. Is this normal? I have been given the impression that insurers are not happy about childinders in rented properties and would appreciate hearing any advice or experiences from others.
Many thanks. :)

Hi Hun i rent private.
What the insurance company has said is to be honest most likely to get more money out of you landlord however They would not advise your landlord on what amount of rent to pay as its not their place to.
My landlords buildings and contence insurance hasn't had a problem with it neither has my rent gone up, i did however give my landlord an extra £100 on my deposit which i'm happy with. I would make the point that work is quite often quick to start so paying more could mean that at slower times you would not be able to pay your rent at the increased rate. I would also ask your landlord to explain to the insurance company that you will be inspected by Ofsted and that they will check for safety, cleanliness and that the property is in good order therefore you would lose a lot by allowing children to disrespect the property. I would also have a list of repairs ready so if your landlord does decide to put your rent up you can say you want them done first. I didn't need to as my landlord and lady are lovely and helpful but it always helps to be prepared. x

JennyF
22-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks Tara Louise, that was really helpful. My landlord is very good and happy for me to childmind but I will definately mention the Ofsted inspection aspect. Thank you.:)